Bands/Artists i'm interested in- i need your help on which CDs to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
If you have albums from any or all of these, let me know which albums to buy.

Manic Street Preachers (i like the songs "Ocean spray" and "Let Robeson sing". i also read that the band has made 2 albums in a short period of time)
So are these two songs on the same album?

The Strokes. If i liked Last nite, will i like the rest of the album too?

American Hi-fi. I heard "Another perfect day" and another song (something about heavy metal), but i preferred Another perfect day. Does the album sound more like APD or the other, harder song?

Daniel Lanois. I stumbled upon "Sleeping in the devil's bed" on Until the end of the world. I loved the simplicity of the sound and the unusual, yet haunting voice.
Which album do you recommend i should get?

Vonda Shepard. I heard her in "Ally McBeal" and she has a great voice.
But i can't decide whether i should buy "Ally McBeal" soundtrack or Vonda's solo albums.

REM. I'm thinking "Automatic for the people", because "Everybody hurts" is one of my favorite songs ever, also i think "Nightswimming" is on the same album.

Van Morisson. I love "Brown eyed girl", but other than that, i don't know any of his songs.
Should i get some "Greatest hits" album or the album that "Brown eyed girl" was first recorded on?

Modjo. (don't know if Americans know this band) Their biggets hit was "Lady", and i liked "What i mean" too.
Is the rest of the album as good too?

Dave Matthews band. I heard of them-apparently, they and Bon Jovi are U2's biggest rivals in US. I don't know their music (except "The space between", which i liked, and the song Dave Matthews did on "Telethon" tribute).
Which album should i buy?

David Gray. I heard "Babylon" and liked it, but is the album any good?

Originally posted by U2girl:

REM. I'm thinking "Automatic for the people", because "Everybody hurts" is one of my favorite songs ever, also i think "Nightswimming" is on the same album.

That's the one! One of the best albums of the 90's.

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

I personally would recommend David Gray - White Ladder. If you liked Babylon, you should like it (it's on this album). I bought it this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
smile.gif

-sula

REM: Life's Rich Pageant is a masterpiece though at a less "mature" phase of REM's musical career.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I personally would recommend David Gray - White Ladder. If you liked Babylon, you should like it (it's on this album). I bought it this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
smile.gif

-sula

Don't disagree with me! LOL

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

Van Morrison: The greatest hits is great of course, but you should really buy both Moondance and Astral Weeks.

DMB: Crush is fabulous, as is Before These Crowded Streets. I'm not into their earlier stuff, which many people also enjoy--and I've heard from a lot of dihard fans that the new album isn't that great.

David Gray: I own White Ladder but still haven't gotten into it yet--not to say it's bad. I'm just lazy.
smile.gif

Hope this helps a little!

------------------
Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come

The Strokes. If i liked Last nite, will i like the rest of the album too?

A: Yes. The Strokes rock!

REM. I'm thinking "Automatic for the people", because "Everybody hurts" is one of my favorite songs ever, also I think "Nightswimming" is on the same album.

A: Nightswimming is on that album. I highly recommend.

Van Morisson. I love "Brown eyed girl", but other than that, i don't know any of his songs. Should i get some "Greatest hits" album or the album that "Brown eyed girl" was first recorded on?

A: I would buy Greatest Hits cd.

Dave Matthews band. I heard of them-apparently, they and Bon Jovi are U2's biggest rivals in US. I don't know their music (except "The space between", which i liked, and the song Dave Matthews did on "Telethon" tribute). Which album should i buy?

A: The two songs which you refer to are on DMB latest cd "Everyday." I like it.

A: I enjoy this album very much.

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Daniel Lanois' 'Acadie' is the way to go! It's got his best songs and it feautures appearances by Adam and Larry on some songs.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

I HIGHLY recommend anything the Manic Street Preachers. I've just recently got into their music, and they are really good. Probably my second favorite band, next to U2 of course. They explore similar social and political issues as U2, but have more of a hard rock/punk sound to them.

Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing are both off the "Know Your Enemy" album. It's quite good, but definitely not their best album IMHO. I recommend "Everything Must Go" and "The Holy Bible" (a very dark album). Their first album, "Generation Terrorists" rocks as well.

I bought the Strokes' debut album "Is This It", and I love it too. Songs like The Modern Age, Someday, Hard To Explain and Take It Or Leave It are awesome!

I hope these "reviews" help you. In conclusion, I recommend buying any of the Manics' album and The Strokes as well. That is all...

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

REM's Eponymous is a good introduction to their early ('80s) work. If you decide you want to get all their albums anyway, you could always resell it.

Manic Street Preachers...'Know Your Enemy' was okay, but definitely not as strong as their previous two releases ('This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours' and 'Everything Must Go'). I would start with 'Everything...' but really, you can't go wrong with any of their albums.

If you can track down a tune called "Masses Against The Classes" which was a single-only release then do it...it's one of their best songs IMO.

Manic Street Preachers...'Know Your Enemy' was okay, but definitely not as strong as their previous two releases ('This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours' and 'Everything Must Go'). I would start with 'Everything...' but really, you can't go wrong with any of their albums.

If you can track down a tune called "Masses Against The Classes" which was a single-only release then do it...it's one of their best songs IMO.

Thanks everyone for your advices!

I didn't mention it, but i actually heard Manic Street Preachers albums Generation terrorists and Gold against the soul. (courtesy of my brother)
I thought the sound was a bit harsh and too tough for my liking, although i liked "Roses in the hospital" very much. Also, i liked the songs "You stole the sun from my heart" and "Everything must go".

So - i'll start with Daniel Lanois (Acadie), Van Morrison (i'll go with the album Brown eyed girl is on), and Dave Matthews band (i'll try Everyday, as i already know two songs off the album). These interest me the most.
However i plan to get a closer look (or, a closer listen in this case) to all of the artists i mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-14-2001).]

Get the strokes album!! you won't regret it... it's amazing!
You will definalety like the rest of the tracks if you like Last nite.

The Strokes are really good, I love them

The Parachutes album by Coldplay is also really good evn though you didnt mention them, but the album is very relaxing, its lovely

I think Manic Street Preachers arent thet great a band all their songs sound the same excpet i liked gold for the soul, i dunno if thats the exact name of the album but it was good....

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

by the sounds of it you should like Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours by the Manics, theyre prolly their 2 most polished albums in terms of production and sound etc...some really wonderful hooks on those records.

As for REM i think youd really like Out Of Time which preceded Automatic For The People, very often ill listen to those 2 back to back cos of the similiraities as well as the differences
smile.gif

There is some wonderful stuff there...Salome will agree with me on Near Wild Heaven im sure
tongue.gif

Hey U2Girl,
I'm not sure about which albums to get, but I do know that you can sample a lot of the songs off of the albums to see if you like them at: http://www.cdnow.com

Or, you can just download mp3's and test out some of the songs on the albums.

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!

I'm not sure about Vonda Shepard's solo album. I don't have it. But I do have both the Ally McBeal SOuntracks (1 and 2) and they're great. 1 is more upbeat, oldies type music, whereas 2 is slow stuff, a lot of old stuff, but GOOD stuff. And there's a duet on there from her single Cd as well. I highly reccomend it.

Daniel Lanois...
Which album do you recommend i should get?

The Beauty of Wynona - beautiful album.

Everything. It's all good, but I would recommend to you their newest album 'Reveal'

Van Morisson. I love "Brown eyed girl", but other than that, i don't know any of his songs.
Should i get some "Greatest hits" album or the album that "Brown eyed girl" was first recorded on?

I would personally start with his greatest hits. Fabulous stuff.

If you buys any of these, buy this one. It's an amazing album.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 12-14-2001).]

If you have albums from any or all of these, let me know which albums to buy.

American Hi-fi. I heard "Another perfect day" and another song (something about heavy metal), but i preferred Another perfect day. Does the album sound more like APD or the other, harder song?

<I can't recommend this CD. I find it rather mediocre.>

<Anything by REM! Murmer, Life's Rich Pageant, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Automatic, and Green are probably my top 5 of theirs>

Dave Matthews band. I heard of them-apparently, they and Bon Jovi are U2's biggest rivals in US. I don't know their music (except "The space between", which i liked, and the song Dave Matthews did on "Telethon" tribute).
Which album should i buy?

<Hmmm... I can't stand the Dave Matthews band. But they are good musicians. can't help much there. And Bon Jovi doesn't come close to being U2 and DMB's competition in the states. Not even close.>

<This, in my opinion, is probably the best album of the last 5 years or more. Absolutely incredible.>

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 12-14-2001).]

R.E.M.'s "Monster" album is my personal favourite of theirs. They're a band that really needs to release a greatest hits album.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Back
Top Bottom