Bad October Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
Thought you guys might want to check out the following review of October I found on a rock review site:

Ah, the dreaded sophomore jinx....A catastrophic artistic reversion, October is a dull, thoroughly uninspiring Christian rock album that suggests the band used up all their good ideas on Boy. It is important to note that October was recorded when U2 were at a proverbial spiritual crossroads, unable to decide whether they were a "Christian rock band,' or simply just a "rock band of Christians." And since three-quarters of the band was experiencing a spiritual revival of sorts, it will come as no surprise that October is overflowing with Christian imagery - you know, the sort of evangelical Old Testament lingo that you'd be more likely to hear from Ned Flanders than from a rock and roll band. However, the band's religious tone is probably the most positive thing about this album. When Bono enthusiastically exhorts the faithful with gleeful yelps of "rejoice!" and "Jerusalem,' he not only sounds like a man on a mission, the singer also proves that contemporary Christian music really can produce spiritual highs. And as we all know, most of today's generic Christian rock bands do everything but produce spiritual highs. Well, apart from Stryper, that is.....So what's the biggest problem with October? The answer, alas, is the songwriting. I've listened to this album about a dozen times over the course of the last several months, and I still can't remember any of the tunes except for 'Gloria.' There are no hooks or melodies to speak of, and every song sounds exactly the same - you'd need a photographic memory to hum along. Rumor has it that Bono was forced to improvise most of the lyrics after he misplaced his original words before the recording sessions, an unfortunate incident which partially explains why everything sounds so underdeveloped and fragmented. The other major problem is Steve Lillywhite's sub-standard production, as the album's flat, murky tone makes the album sound as though it was recorded somewhere in the heavily-polluted depths of the Irish Sea. The only standout track is the energetic hit single 'Gloria,' an emotionally-uplifting religious hymn that really pushes all the right buttons, and although I could do without all the instrumental solos just before the final chorus, the overall effect is breathtaking. And if you want to hear something that doesn't really sound like U2 you might want to give 'Tomorrow' a listen, as the song merges hard rock and Irish folk music with some interesting results. The song itself is pretty weak, but the use of traditional Irish instruments like the Oillean Pipes and Bodhran are a really nice addition.

What do you think? I actually agree with most of it. A little harsh, but pretty accurate.

There are other U2 reviews on the site, most of them quite positive. You can check out this site at

http://ca.geocities.com/iansmusicreviews/u2/u2.htm

Yeah I agree with a lot of too, and I LOVE October!

I remember reading a JT review that mentioned that if they had known at the time of October what they knew for JT, "Tomorrow" would have been treated far more respectfully and would never had had that guitar solo chucked in.

Kurt Loder's a git.

I like how he trashed the album but still gave it 3/5. Git.

This review is totally ridiculous here !! :madspit:
What's wrong with "October" is the songwriting ??
Simply because ... the reviewer can't remember any songs other than "Gloria" !! Well, he must not have listened to this album in it's entirety or paid any attention at all to the other songs ...
There is nothing wrong with "October" ... IT'S A GREAT ALBUM !!
:applaud:

MsMofoGone said:
This review is totally ridiculous here !! :madspit:
What's wrong with "October" is the songwriting ??
Simply because ... the reviewer can't remember any songs other than "Gloria" !! Well, he must not have listened to this album in it's entirety or paid any attention at all to the other songs ...
There is nothing wrong with "October" ... IT'S A GREAT ALBUM !!
:applaud:

You must not have read or paid attention to teh review. Gloria is not the only song described in detail.

Even U2 thinks the album is crap. The only song they ever play from it is Gloria. That should tell you something.

I find myself mostly in agreement with the reviewer. Except the Ned Flanders comparison though, I mean I haven't heard October in ages but does Bono ever attach an "-idly" suffix to any of the lyrics?

Pretty harsh though, I hope the band recovers from this setback.

Gloria and October are my favourties from the album, the rest is average 7/10 I think it is just because Gloria is one of myu favourite U2 songs, and October is great going into New Years Day, so I disagree wwith the reviewer but think it is still a weak U2 album.

Originally posted by starvinmarvin

You must not have read or paid attention to teh review. Gloria is not the only song described in detail.

Even U2 thinks the album is crap. The only song they ever play from it is Gloria. That should tell you something.

Well, I've read the ENTIRE review and I did NOT once read how U2
thinks October is crap !! If anything it's the reviewer who thinks it
is crap ... and that is one reason why I disagree with the review!!
It tells me absolutely nothing, just because Gloria is the only song
played from October ... it still does not mean the album is crap !! And to go with your scenario here ... I don't see any songs being played from the Pop album ... but does that mean Pop is crap too,
I highly doubt it !! This reviewer even said ... Who really cares about the DVD being from Chicago ?? He called it a shit city ... and all because he dislikes the hockey team ?? He's NEVER even been there !! So, how can he complain about the Chicago shows and the performances ?? He absolutely makes no sense !! :madspit:

MsMofoGone said:

Well, I've read the ENTIRE review and I did NOT once read how U2
thinks October is crap !! If anything it's the reviewer who thinks it
is crap ... and that is one reason why I disagree with the review!!
It tells me absolutely nothing, just because Gloria is the only song
played from October ... it still does not mean the album is crap !! And to go with your scenario here ... I don't see any songs being played from the Pop album ... but does that mean Pop is crap too,
I highly doubt it !! This reviewer even said ... Who really cares about the DVD being from Chicago ?? He called it a shit city ... and all because he dislikes the hockey team ?? He's NEVER even been there !! So, how can he complain about the Chicago shows and the performances ?? He absolutely makes no sense !! :madspit:

Are you referring to the live review of the 2nd vancouver show, which is also on the same review site? I think the reference to Chicago you're talking about is simply a joke. No need to get too upset about it, because he obviously isn't being serious - its' just humor that is intended to elicit a response. Here's the link again so other forum members know what you are speaking of:

http://ca.geocities.com/iansmusicreviews/u2/u2.htm

I don't think it's a bad album, but it seemed to reflect U2 at that time. They were confused and at a spiritual cross roads. The album captures that perfectly.

It did give us Gloria, Fire, Tomorrow and October.

And honorable mention goes to I Fall Down and Rejoice.

Originally posted by starvinmarvin

Are you referring to the live review of the 2nd vancouver show, which is also on the same review site? I think the reference to Chicago you're talking about is simply a joke. No need to get too upset about it, because he obviously isn't being serious - its' just humor that is intended to elicit a response.

Absolute bull !! The reviewer made no interpretation that it was a joking matter!! Especially his TRUST ME line ... regarding the Vancouver show making a KILLER DVD !! Totally disagree that this was intended as humor !! If he would have seen a Chicago show, then compared it with a Vancouver show, maybe I could have believed his response about Vancouver making a KILLER DVD instead !! But in regards to Chicago ?? It sounds like he has something against Chicago because he hates the hockey team !! And since he's NEVER been there ... there's no need for the DVD to be from Chicago either ?? How stupid is that ?? :mad:

MsMofoGone said:
Absolute bull !! The reviewer made no interpretation that it was a joking matter!! Especially his TRUST ME line ... regarding the Vancouver show making a KILLER DVD !! Totally disagree that this was intended as humor !! If he would have seen a Chicago show, then compared it with a Vancouver show, maybe I could have believed his response about Vancouver making a KILLER DVD instead !! But in regards to Chicago ?? It sounds like he has something against Chicago because he hates the hockey team !! And since he's NEVER been there ... there's no need for the DVD to be from Chicago either ?? How stupid is that ?? :mad:
whoah, chill...the person who owns the website is entitled to his own opinions. he could've just been sarcastic. :shrug:

i will never understand why everyone continues to get so upset over a negative review. i doubt the band has read what this guy has to say, so why should we even bother devoting this much time to him?

KhanadaRhodes said:

whoah, chill...the person who owns the website is entitled to his own opinions. he could've just been sarcastic. :shrug:

i will never understand why everyone continues to get so upset over a negative review. i doubt the band has read what this guy has to say, so why should we even bother devoting this much time to him?

Hey Khanada ... Honestly, I only devoted my time here because someone mentioned how I didn't read the review in it's entirety !!
Which I did !! I got totally ticked off because the reviewer obviously gave a stupid reason for disliking Chicago ... and he's never been there !! Makes sense right ?? Yeah, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it, but I didn't find it amusing as others thought it was supposed to be ...

MsMofoGone said:
Hey Khanada ... Honestly, I only devoted my time here because someone mentioned how I didn't read the review in it's entirety !!
Which I did !! I got totally ticked off because the reviewer obviously gave a stupid reason for disliking Chicago ... and he's never been there !! Makes sense right ?? Yeah, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it, but I didn't find it amusing as others thought it was supposed to be ...
it's all right, i was just thinking everyone needed to chill a little. :hug:

i almost went to chicago a couple months ago for a concert, but i ended up going to louisville instead. i know some peeps who live there, it can't be too bad there. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

it's all right, i was just thinking everyone needed to chill a little. :hug:

i almost went to chicago a couple months ago for a concert, but i ended up going to louisville instead. i know some peeps who live there, it can't be too bad there. :wink:

I'm from the south-western suburbs about 100 miles away ... but actually Chicago's a pretty GREAT city ... If you ever go there ... you'll immediately know why they call it "The Windy City" ... I saw U2 there (3 times) ... so that's another reason why this reviewer got me so-ooo steamed !! I'm sure the Vancouver shows were indeed GREAT, but criticizing the Chicago shows without even seeing them !! Well, again I should've ignored it ... but I absolutely love Chicago !! It's definitely worth my 95 minutes to go visit from time to time !!

MsMofoGone said:
I'm from the south-western suburbs about 100 miles away ... but actually Chicago's a pretty GREAT city ... If you ever go there ... you'll immediately know why they call it "The Windy City" ... I saw U2 there (3 times) ... so that's another reason why this reviewer got me so-ooo steamed !! I'm sure the Vancouver shows were indeed GREAT, but criticizing the Chicago shows without even seeing them !! Well, again I should've ignored it ... but I absolutely love Chicago !! It's definitely worth my 95 minutes to go visit from time to time !!
oh wow, three times? i'm jealous...all these years i've only managed to see them once, during popmart. they've never come anywhere close to me since then. :grumpy:

As far as the Rolling Stone reviews go, how the HELL did the Unforgettable Fire get a worse score than RATTLE AND HUM? GAH.

And how did they manage to skip over Achtung Baby in all of their album reviews? I mean, Under a Blood Red Sky gets reviewed, but not Achtung?!? And I'm not even a giant fan of AB. :madspit:

Edit: Well, it looks like they did actually write a review for Achtung, Baby, but just didn't give it a star rating. Still pretty odd, if you ask me.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

oh wow, three times? i'm jealous...all these years i've only managed to see them once, during popmart. they've never come anywhere close to me since then. :grumpy:

I'm so-ooo understanding how you're feeling !! I absolutely had
to go to Chicago and see them ... no matter what the distance ...
I couldn't pass up the opportunity !! Are you gonna get a chance to see them on this tour ??

Harry Vest said:
Bullshit - October is a good album.
Comparing it to Stryper makes me want to vomit.
Tomorrow is still one of U2's best work!!!

I don't think any comparison to Stryper was made, if you read the review closely. In fact, I think Stryper was derided by means of sarcasm.

Also, the reviewer complimented Tomorrow as an interesting track, albeit one without a strong hook.

starvinmarvin said:

Bono and Adam like it. Bono doesn't care for his singing on it, cos he thinks he sounds like a girl, but he likes the album.

Adam named it his favourite U2 album in 1985. Which has since been replaced by Achtung Baby. By 1985 they released Boy, October, War, and UF.

However, I haven't come across any thing from Edge or Larry, except Edge would be fine if he didn't hear "With a Shout/Jerusalem?" again.

thrillme said:

Bono and Adam like it. Bono doesn't care for his singing on it, cos he thinks he sounds like a girl, but he likes the album.

Adam named it his favourite U2 album in 1985. Which has since been replaced by Achtung Baby. By 1985 they released Boy, October, War, and UF.

However, I haven't come across any thing from Edge or Larry, except Edge would be fine if he didn't hear "With a Shout/Jerusalem?" again.

What I meant is that it's been a long, long time since any song from October apart from Gloria has been played live. This would ssem to indicate that the album isn't one of the band's favorites.

There isn't any way around it - October is the band's weakest album to date. The songs just aren't there.

Reading the "Bono on Bono" book (I think, I've read too many books lately), Bono made mention of how he used to believe making up lyrics at the microphone (as he did for the first few albums) was a good idea to "get to the truth of what he wanted to say" (my paraphrasing). He's since realised that that wasn't the best way to go about it, and it's also a better idea to write actual songs (a la JT) than just pieces of music. (That quote of being in a club and the DJ puts of "Out of Control" and not only does it clear the floor but Bono can't dance to it either!)\

Obviously this reviewer has done all his reviews all at once and certainly October suffers when compared in relation to all of U2's other music. I mean I love it, but it doesn't mean I can't recognise its weaknesses (With a Shout :madspit:, Is that all? :mad: ) And I thought the Stryper reference was very funny!

blueeyedgirl said:
Reading the "Bono on Bono" book (I think, I've read too many books lately), Bono made mention of how he used to believe making up lyrics at the microphone (as he did for the first few albums) was a good idea to "get to the truth of what he wanted to say" (my paraphrasing). He's since realised that that wasn't the best way to go about it, and it's also a better idea to write actual songs (a la JT) than just pieces of music. (That quote of being in a club and the DJ puts of "Out of Control" and not only does it clear the floor but Bono can't dance to it either!)\

Obviously this reviewer has done all his reviews all at once and certainly October suffers when compared in relation to all of U2's other music. I mean I love it, but it doesn't mean I can't recognise its weaknesses (With a Shout :madspit:, Is that all? :mad: ) And I thought the Stryper reference was very funny!

That's interesting about how Bono tried "winging it," or improvising, as a deliberate strategy on October. He definetely sounds like a man without direction on October - sometimes it works, but for the most part it does not.

Back
Top Bottom