Bad from Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
You know I read that during the part of Bad where Bono sings the extended "Fade away, no no fade away" part before the end of the song he was singing it while he was writhing through the crowd being held up by fans I believe. Wouldn't have have made for more interesting footage than the slow motion shot of Bono that is shown during the extended Fade away bit?

I think so.

Which also leads me to this question, what would you change about the movie? IE song order, performances from the Joshua Tree tour that you think would have fit better into the movie, etc

Add live performances of Trip Through Your Wires, more sun studio footage, and replace the gospel ISHFWILF with a live version.

would have had footage from more DIFFERENT shows - the ISHFWILF from NYC (same show as the gospel choir, but the performance without the gospel choir) would have been great, for instance - or anything from that boston show where all the lighting failed. would have loved a 'one tree hill' performance. more sun studio, too, and maybe some in studio stuff of 'all i want is you'.
i love that performance of bad, think that the footage is really beautiful. i think i wouldn't change it anyway.

david said:
You know I read that during the part of Bad where Bono sings the extended "Fade away, no no fade away" part before the end of the song he was singing it while he was writhing through the crowd being held up by fans I believe. Wouldn't have have made for more interesting footage than the slow motion shot of Bono that is shown during the extended Fade away bit?

I think so.

I hate that slow motion shot for some reason :crack: so yeah, I think so too.

I'd add one Tree Hill, maybe that performance on the Best of 80s/90s VHS. The only other thing I can think of adding right now is Mothers Of The Disappeared. There's a performance of it on the rough cut that's really good, I don't know why it didn't make it in.

Something about Bad really, really bugged me but I couldn't figure out what it was. Maybe because it was 10:30 at night, maybe because Bono only had suspenders covering his chest, but something bugged me. I hope there is a better live version somewhere out there.

Things I'd add to the movie is more off-road stuff, more interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff, because the last 6 or 7 songs were uninterrupted.

The slow motion in "Bad" was one of the all time crucial mistakes of film. I remember being seriously angry that the director took that route back when I saw the film in the theaters. It almost ruins the power of the song completely.

Back
Top Bottom