"Bad" and "Sympathy For The Devil"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UltravioletTX

Babyface
I was just listening to the live version of this song from the Rattle and Hum DVD. I love it! It's one of my favorite performances of the track that U2 has ever done.

Could someone enlighten me on why Bono tagged on a line from "Sympathy For The Devil" on the end of the song? I never really understood the connection. I know that they frequently add on "Ruby Tuesday" to it in many different performances, but that specific moment has been one of the few times I have heard SFTD with it as well.

Does it somehow relate to the song? If "Bad" is about heroin addiction, then how does it go together? One thought I had was that maybe it relates to something that was going on currently at the time or maybe it was some type of tribute to Mick Jagger, who may have been in the audience that night. I know that they commonly do stuff like that (i.e. singing a little bit of "Everybody Hurts" when Michael Stipe watched one of their Elevation Tour shows), but didn't know if that was as a strech in this instance.

Enlighten me, oh wise ones!

I remember reading that back in 76 when young-un U2 was meeting up, they played the Stones, and those 2 songs particularly

maybe it has something to do with heroin being like the devil? "I'm pleased to meet ya, hope you guess my name." The devil in the Stones song is a polite and easy going character who sort of sneaks up on you which could also say about certain drugs. Just a thought.....

I think it may be an expression of guilt or shame. The narrator of the song identifies himself with the devil. A bit melodramatic, but understandable.

Ah! That's a good point there eviltwin! Whether or not it was intentional on Bono's part it sure fits when you look back at it!

Yeah, but wasn't the Sympathy tag actually spliced in for the movie because Bono didn't sing it right or something?

david said:
Yeah, but wasn't the Sympathy tag actually spliced in for the movie because Bono didn't sing it right or something?

No, I am pretty sure what we see in the movie is what happened that night in the concert. Though I'd have to check the bootleg to be 100% sure.

I do know some of the Silver And Gold rant was cut, and the 'rock and roll stops the traffic' bit from Pride at the Save The Yuppies concert was put into All Along The Watchtower, but I've never heard of an edit of Bad.

Back
Top Bottom