Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sleeping.

not good cos it's 11:50 PM already. :wink:

But yes... brilliant song made absolutely magical with the extended live versions! :heart:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

If I could, yes I would
If I could I would, let it go
Surrender
Dislocate
And so to fade away
So let it go
And so to fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
I'm not sleeping

Was this on the Elevation Tour DVD? I'm getting it in two weeks.

Does anyone know why it was called Bad though?

COBL_04 said:
:drool:
If I could, yes I would
If I could I would, let it go
Surrender
Dislocate
And so to fade away
So let it go
And so to fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
I'm not sleeping

Does anyone know why it was called Bad though?

Well, if you read the lyrics there, a song called "Happy" would not have made sense.
:wink:

It is special, musically and lyrically.
It's the standard against which all great songs should be measured, in my opinion :shrug:

Excellent Song on one of thier best albums (my favorite but Achtung is a very close second).

Bad is a song that embodies U2, it makes them better than everyone else, I've been blessed to get to see these guys a whole bunch of times and when I hear that song I think back to UF and JT tours. When they would play this song for 10-15 minutes. When the opening chords chime off of Edge's guitar it's just like a piece of heaven. I wish they would play this song EVERY night and rotate a couple of other's out IMHO.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Excellent Song on one of thier best albums (my favorite but Achtung is a very close second).

Bad is a song that embodies U2, it makes them better than everyone else, I've been blessed to get to see these guys a whole bunch of times and when I hear that song I think back to UF and JT tours. When they would play this song for 10-15 minutes. When the opening chords chime off of Edge's guitar it's just like a piece of heaven. I wish they would play this song EVERY night and rotate a couple of other's out IMHO.

Everything you say is 100% accurate, but let me ask you this....did you think Bono did it justice in 2001? Personally, seeing this live for the first time in 2001 was epic. But it pains me to say, having been SO used to the Wide Awake In America version, that it was disappointing to not hear Bono hit those key yells.

Just reading this thread and hearing the song in my head as I was reading made all the hair stand up on my arms and neck. This happens every time I hear it.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Everything you say is 100% accurate, but let me ask you this....did you think Bono did it justice in 2001? Personally, seeing this live for the first time in 2001 was epic. But it pains me to say, having been SO used to the Wide Awake In America version, that it was disappointing to not hear Bono hit those key yells.

That's an excellent point you bring up. I wish you were able to see this song in earlier tours. This song was the "centerpiece" of all U2 shows on UF and JT tours. I'm actually qouting one of the members there, I can't remember who it was.
I agree with you whole heartedly you are right on point with that observation.

I even love the WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO,'s. If I had to pick just one song that would represent U2's whole body of work to someone who had never heard them before, Bad would be it. I'm not sure where that person would be, probably Mars.

neutral said:
I got chills when I heard this song starting at the show in Chicago. :heart:

Chicago 1 or 4? I was there at Chicago 1 and I started screaming like a nut... it's the best version of Bad I've ever heard, honestly. I guess I'm just biased 'cause I was there but although there have been better songs snippeted (Walk on the Wild Side :drool: ) overall that performance of Bad was just mindblowing. It was so surreal. I never really appreciated Bad til then. I had considered it overrated for a long time, now it is in my top ten. I prefer Bono's voice now a million times over to his voice in '85. I hope they do Bad at Live 8...could be their best performance ever.

I was listening to Bad from Chi 1 today with my little sister (she's 6) and she didn't talk through most of it surprisingly (she usually talks all the time)...we were just kinda sitting there, taking it in. I had been worrying about some stuff but Bad brought this wave of tranquilty through me, this feeling that no matter what, everything would be alright, because I was listening to that song. Everytime I hear that song I still get tears in my eyes. Truly one of the greatest songs ever written.

If I could, yes I would, if I could I would...let it go...

YBORCITYOBL said:

That's an excellent point you bring up. I wish you were able to see this song in earlier tours. This song was the "centerpiece" of all U2 shows on UF and JT tours. I'm actually qouting one of the members there, I can't remember who it was.
I agree with you whole heartedly you are right on point with that observation.

It wasn't me but I saw them once on UF and twice during JT and it definately was the highlight of the concerts for me at that time. That and Exit.

AtomicBono said:

Chicago 1 or 4? I was there at Chicago 1 and I started screaming like a nut... it's the best version of Bad I've ever heard, honestly. I guess I'm just biased 'cause I was there but although there have been better songs snippeted (Walk on the Wild Side :drool: ) overall that performance of Bad was just mindblowing. It was so surreal. I never really appreciated Bad til then. I had considered it overrated for a long time, now it is in my top ten. I prefer Bono's voice now a million times over to his voice in '85. I hope they do Bad at Live 8...could be their best performance ever.

Chicago 1, absolutely loved it, especially what he said in the intro. :sigh: I was just listening to it a few minutes ago actually (posted an mp3 for someone in the A/V forum) and it's as good as I remember. It's funny that you say that because I also thought it was overrated for a long time, but as soon as I heard the opening music (chords? uh :der: ) starting in Chicago it was like I "got it" for the first time, and I've been a U2 fan since Unforgettable Fire. :reject:

neutral said:

Chicago 1, absolutely loved it, especially what he said in the intro. :sigh: I was just listening to it a few minutes ago actually (posted an mp3 for someone in the A/V forum) and it's as good as I remember. It's funny that you say that because I also thought it was overrated for a long time, but as soon as I heard the opening music (chords? uh :der: ) starting in Chicago it was like I "got it" for the first time, and I've been a U2 fan since Unforgettable Fire. :reject:

Yeah, another thing, I used to hate that sequencer thing but now I love it because...well, it's like the organ at the beginning of Streets (except I always loved that). You hear it and you KNOW you are in for something amazing. I think I really GOT that song for the first time in Chicago, and I've been a U2 fan almost half my life. Bono's intro was...whoa, heavy. And really, really inspiring, to anyone with any sort of problem, really.

Back
Top Bottom