Backups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

struckpx

Acrobat
Does U2 have any backups that they use when one member cannot perform on tour? I know that some bands have like a backup drummer or something just in case if someone falls sick.

Adam missed 26th Nov '93 in Sydney due to illness and Stuart Morgan, the bass technician filled in for him... i believe this is the only time it occurred...

I think the Sydney was a "one off" due to the nature of the "illness". I think had it been a genuine illness, the band would re-schedule gig/tour
When you think about it.....u2 fans have been spoiled over the years. There has to have been times wen the band felt they couldnt play but went ahead. Bono talks about himself in a similar situation on the Boston DVD

I think if Adam, Edge, or Larry became sick immediately before or during a show, or there was some reason they couldn't cancel the show (as with the Sydney show, for example, because they needed to work out the blocking for the next show's recording), Stuart, Dallas, or Sam could fill in. I guess if Bono's shoulders mysteriously fell off and he could no longer hold his guitar while he talked, Phil would step in to hold it for him :wink: Otherwise, the band would try to reschedule, since they know the fans are paying to see them and not their techs.

The techs play together before sound check so Joe can adjust the sound system to the quirks of whatever venue they're in. If the band can't get to the venue in time for a sound check, the techs will do a full sound check for them (as was the case at the Buffalo show I saw a few years ago--because of weather, the band didn't arrive until the opening act was already on :yikes: ). So all of them know the songs, and they could play them, but it's one of those things where I bet they learn them and hope they never need them.

I'm sure all of the band members have played through being sick before. They're not one of those acts who's constantly cancelling and rescheduling shows. They reserve postponing for extreme illness or emergencies; otherwise, the show must go on.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I guess if Bono's shoulders mysteriously fell off and he could no longer hold his guitar while he talked, Phil would step in to hold it for him :wink:

This happened during the Joshua Tree Tour with his dislocated shoulder, and after hearing some bootlegs, I think his plan was to pick the worst guitar playing fan he could find.

The only reason the Sydney show was not cancelled is because by the time they found Adam would not be able to play that night the audience was already in the venue. It was late that afternoon when this occurred. Otherwise I think the show would have been postponed.

I and I in the said:
The Sydney show wasn't cancelled, because the next show was being filmed.

Lights, camera angles, etc. had to be prepared.

Not really, they did their major test run for filming the week prior in Adelaide.

I'm not saying the blocking and testing wasnt a factor, but the main reason the show wasnt postponed was because a large part of the crowd was already in the venue. There is an interview with Paul McGuiness where he mentions this and states thats the major reason they went ahead with the show. I cant remember where I read it though. Q magazine maybe?

I and I in the said:

Blocking? They actually used footage of that night in ZooTV, just certain angles couldn't be used... But I think there may have been one or two distant shots that are not Adam that actually made the cut...

I and I in the said:

Yeah, that's what Flanagan wrote in U2 At the End of the World. Though I'm sure finding out about Adam's condition so late contributed to their decision not to cancel, too.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Blocking? They actually used footage of that night in ZooTV, just certain angles couldn't be used... But I think there may have been one or two distant shots that are not Adam that actually made the cut...

Interesting, thats news to me. I know the pay per view was all the 2nd show. A majority of the footage for the DVD is the same as the pay per view. I have never heard they used any footage from the first night. Where did you get this info?

Like I said before, I agree, the practice for shooting the next day was part of the reason they didnt postpone but I dont think it was the only reason and I know I read where McGuiness mentioned the crowd already being there as a reason. :shrug:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Interesting, thats news to me. I know the pay per view was all the 2nd show. A majority of the footage for the DVD is the same as the pay per view. I have never heard they used any footage from the first night. Where did you get this info?

Well, now I can't find anything...

I remember it being discussed in here, and a few pointed out the few scenes that were from the night before, but now I can't find it. I'll continue to look and let you know.

I went to that show but was too busy pogoing and so forth to be taking pictures.....

And till Bono announced that Adam wasn't there and was "ill", I hadn't actually noticed. I don't watch bass players as a rule... :wink:

dr.dae said:
Does anyone have some pictures of that night ? (Bass Tech on stage with the band )

you can find a dvd of the whole night on u2torrents

Back
Top Bottom