Backstage passes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet299

Acrobat
Hey, I have contacted someone who says that they have backstage passes to one of the U2 shows. They want to trade a GA ticket for the pass. I have asked for further details about this pass, but she will not say anything more than "with the pass you will get access to backstage and possibly front row (between the barriers)". So I am unsure if i should go through with this, and risk being scammed. Should I forget about it? Does anyone know anything about backstage passes?

It's got to be a scam. I asked someone who is high up in the entertainment business about U2 tickets/getting backstage and he said that even getting to be a local crew member (setting up the show in your city) is quite a difficult task. The fact that this person wont really give you any details about the pass would make me even more skeptical.

Backstage passes for the U2 shows in the states (and possibly elsewhere but I don't know about that) automatically give you access to the heart. Why would you trade that away for a GA ticket?

Hang onto your ticket!
biggrin.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

The thing is that she already has one for herself, she just has an Extra pass, and for some reason wants a ticket to get into the venue, I guess.
Does that make any more sense?

If you have a REAL backstage pass, it will be AAA - Access All Areas. Meaning if this guy wants to be in the heart, or anywhere in GA, he can do it with that pass, no GA ticket needed.
So there is no reason to want to swap. With a AAA he can stand/sit wherever he damn well wants.

Originally posted by ultraviolet299:
The thing is that she already has one for herself, she just has an Extra pass, and for some reason wants a ticket to get into the venue, I guess.
Does that make any more sense?

No it doesn't. I think it's a scam.

If she already has one pass then she can get in. If she wants to get someone else in she still has the other pass and it's still superior to a GA ticket if it does, indeed allow you into the security area near the stage. She'd have to have a pretty good explanation, and then I still wouldn't trust it. If she needs a ticket to get in, you would need a ticket to get in.

Unless you can get confirmation from the folks who would be the ones to honor the pass and let you backstage, I wouldn't do it.

Originally posted by God:
If you have a REAL backstage pass, it will be AAA - Access All Areas. Meaning if this guy wants to be in the heart, or anywhere in GA, he can do it with that pass, no GA ticket needed.

I agree.

Mirella, it's too risky. If you have an extra ticket, sell it to a real fan, and you might avoid a lot of grief.

No, i know somoene who knows someone who works on the U2 travelling crew and they dont even give out backstage passes.

plus even if you have a backstage pass at concerts you still have to have a ticket to get in the door.

Originally posted by U2Gator:
plus even if you have a backstage pass at concerts you still have to have a ticket to get in the door.

Thats the point i was trying to make! Because she has the pass, maybe she still needs a ticket to enter (maybe its not AAA or whatever).. i dunno!! Maybe she has some connection somewhere that she is not willing to talk about. You never know.
I have myself covered for entrance.. and I just have one extra GA that I would be willing to trade in order to get backstage.

...but i guess its just a scam
frown.gif

Originally posted by ultraviolet299:

Thats the point i was trying to make! Because she has the pass, maybe she still needs a ticket to enter (maybe its not AAA or whatever).. i dunno!! Maybe she has some connection somewhere that she is not willing to talk about. You never know.
I have myself covered for entrance.. and I just have one extra GA that I would be willing to trade in order to get backstage.

...but i guess its just a scam
frown.gif

Don't get too excited about going 'backstage.' It's really not what most people expect. It is highly unlikely you will get to meet the band doing so.

There is technically NO Backstage Pass for the Elevation Tour 2001. There are, however, several different types of access passes used for different purposes.

Photo, Guest (MGMT), Crew (Riggers, Security, Tech, etc..), VIP, a few others...

I do know there is NOT a single AAA pass at all for the tour (unless you are bono himself
wink.gif
What happens is that your pass is restricted to its effective intended limits. Although every pass has to be assigned to you, The VIP and crew passes are I think, the only ones that have a photo. The rest have a serial number on back. Also, these passes do indeed let you in the building without a ticket, whether at the front gates or the VIP or security entrances. They will also let you down onto the floor and into the heart.

Now from what I can tell, the ONLY pass that will get you in the 'front row inner security barrier' is a photo pass. Even then, you need additional credentials usually (press pass). Maybe Otto will comment on this. Not even a VIP pass will do that.

As for backstage, a photo pass generally won't get you backstage unattended, however GUEST and VIP passes will. Even still, backstage is compartmentalized into 'areas' and your pass will only get you into the appropriate 'areas.' For example, almost no pass including crew (i don't know about the techs) will ever get you into the "Band's room" where u2 actually is. You have to have a BAND VIP pass to get into the band's room, and rest assured they just don't give those out - you indeed have to have a business being there whether you are family or friend or Bill Clinton. The Bands room is guarded by two of the toughest looking guys you'll ever see and they will not hesitate to move you right along.

An example of how this works is as follows:

Hanson (the band): All have VIP passes for the Dallas show. They arrive through the security entrance, and are backstage, but they will never get into the Band's Room, or Crew Areas. They can however, choose to watch the show from the heart or the VIP enclosure around the soundstage on the floor.

The Elevation Crew: (Dallas Schoo, Lighting Riggers, etc..) Well they pretty much know each other at this point, but all have photo ids anyway and in Dallas's case, an additional VIP pass, for local security personnel, etc.. They get everywhere except Band's Room.

Christy Turlington, Wynona Rider: They have VIP Passes with Band Room Priviledges. They have free roam except for crew areas (under the stage, etc..) They will actually get to hang out with u2 and in many cases get to travel with the band on Elevation Air.

Marketing Dude for RollingStone: Has a MGMT Guest pass, which allows him free roam of all areas execpt crew (under stage, soundboard) and Band's Room. This dude can hang out in the Management Room though and talk with the management personel on staff including McGuinness. These passes are also color-coded per city on a rotaional basis. Security usually doesn't care though.

Finally, unless you are elevation crew, you are highly discouraged to attend the soundchecks no matter what pass you have as they really like their privacy and consider that to be of very personal time. Ocassionally however, especially earlier on in the tour you could attend without any problems.

If you need all-encompasing access, you will have multiple passes. If you look carefully at Dallas Schoo, you will see he has at least 5+ passes hanging around his neck.

I hope this clarifies how this all works, and I must urge extreme caution in trading a GA ticket for that pass. This woman sounds extremely suspect. Even if it were real, you would not get to meet the band with any kind of pass she could give you, and in the end it is not intended for you. I don't know what would happen if you were caught (thrown out or worse). On the other hand though you could take the risk and at least get into the heart. There is also a small probability of running into the band outside the Band's room, although they are usually attending to some kind of business. Finally, and this should be a wakeup call, **security will no doubt be 100x tighter on this leg because of the recent terrorist events** Jerry, U2's head of security, is a very understanding and nice guy, but make no mistake he has a job to do and he does it well.

Peace,
Skeksis, Mystic of Urskek

The other thing that comes to mind is, if this is an authentic, real backstage pass that could possibly gain you access to the front row inner barrier... why the hell would this person trade it for a GA ticket? Save your money buddy.

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

I agree with Angel. Why would you want to be herded in with the GA crowd if you could get in front of the rail?? Plus there was also alot of hoaky shit going on with counterfeit tickets last time around, so who knows what you're getting, or how to verify that it's legit!...

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

Back
Top Bottom