B sides - Your thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halo jones

The Fly
Out there where the buses don't run........
Without sounding like a winging cow, I feel a little saddened that at times when you buy CDs this happens. In Hong Kong my friend brought me the CD "All that you can't leave behind "without knowing I had already purchased it downunder. I only got a single CD but when I got the Hong Kong copy I had the B side as well. It cost $32.00 for one downunder and less for the double which had both sides in the Northern Hemisphere. Do you not think this is misjuding the intense dedication to the band by where you live? It seems damned unfair to me.... Like why do we always get put on the last leg of tours which are usually when they are tired? Your view is appreciated.

I can certainly see why some people feel a wee bit slighted. I sincerely hope U2 makes a point of going to Australia and Brazil on their next tour. And I know there is likely a whole plethora of marketing reasons for doing different things in different countries, and it may sound trivial, but for example the UK version of Best of... has The Fly on it, Canadian versions don't. Okay fine, I have the Fly on AB and countless bootlegs but still...And I've actually stopped buying singles. I get my b-sides from their best of collections, mp3s etc.

Between U2's Best of albums, mp3s, and bootleg CDs of concerts, I find I pretty much have all the b-sides without resorting to buying costly singles.

Nice to see you here halo jones :wave: I hope you're enjoying yourself here, I'm finding it a pleasure to visit.

The career of a band will be measured by its albums not its b-sides. B-sides are just rejects that aren't good enough to make it to the albums. Sure, U2's b-sides may be better than other artists' a-sides, but generally U2's b-sides are substandard work that aren't as strong as the album tracks. B-sides were just invented to help ripoff people into buying $10 singles which only contain 2 tracks (one already being the album track). Cd's may cost cheaper in other countries because operatings costs are lower, so stocking costs will be lower and importing costs (or producing costs -whatever the case may be) is lower.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
...B-sides are just rejects that aren't good enough to make it to the albums...

...generally U2's b-sides are substandard work that aren't as strong as the album tracks...

*Starts muttering about Lady with the Spinning Head, Three Sunrises, Boomerang I+II and Salom? ...*

Originally posted by

*Starts muttering about Lady with the Spinning Head, Three Sunrises, Boomerang I+II and Salom� ...*

Take note I said "generally" meaning there are exceptions (though I doubt "Holy Joe" will fall under that exception). Also, Three Sunrises was released as an A-side in the Wide Awake In America EP.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by a moderator:
jick- I just came from another thread in here 'recommend a song' and it seems to me you are generally going out of your way to be antagonistic. Not that you can't have a valid opinion that isn't gushing on about U2, but you seem unduly negative, almost like you're trying to instigate something. My apologies if I've read you wrong, but you seem to be tossing wrenches into otherwise friendly discussions. :confused:

what a happy little thread
bob.gif

jick said:

Take note I said "generally" meaning there are exceptions (though I doubt "Holy Joe" will fall under that exception). Also, Three Sunrises was released as an A-side in the Wide Awake In America EP.

Exceptions would have been worth a mention so I didn't have to mention anything myself. And I do know what was released on what, don't worry...

TheGenericPoet said:
jick- I just came from another thread in here 'recommend a song' and it seems to me you are generally going out of your way to be antagonistic. Not that you can't have a valid opinion that isn't gushing on about U2, but you seem unduly negative, almost like you're trying to instigate something. My apologies if I've read you wrong, but you seem to be tossing wrenches into otherwise friendly discussions. :confused:

unfortunately, you're right on.

I have a bunch of singles, but only buy them if they're on sale, or have a B-side I already know I want. Some of my singles were gifts and a handful I won at the RARHOF exhibit party last year, so I don't feel as if I've spent excessive amounts on them. Some of my favorite B-sides are:

Lady With a Spinning Head
North and South of the River
Satellite of Love
Last Night on Earth live from Mexico City (yeah, i know that's an album tune, but THAT version kicks)

My favorite single that I own is Who's Gonna Ride You Wild Horses.

I'm not at all keen on the Wild Horses single version. It sounds rather empty like some of the tracks have been silenced out or replaced with bland piano chords...:(

Mmmm. Last Night on Earth live from Mexico City absolutley rules. I think that's the first Live U2 Track I ever heard (when I purchased The Elevation single...I don't know what posessed me to buy a single since I already had the album...I think it was the Johnny Cash cover and, this may sound wierd..the title of the Live track did sound curious..) It's brilliant. Sounds much better than the album version..and quite a neat little track to lose your 'Live AUDIO U2 virginity' to....

Originally posted by

Exceptions would have been worth a mention so I didn't have to mention anything myself. And I do know what was released on what, don't worry...

While I see the beauty of the other songs you stated, I am not too sure about Boomerang because I haven't heard that in years. Hell, I even forgot what it sounds like. I'll dig it up and give it a spin in my cd player and see if the song is indeed a hidden treasure to me.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom