B-sides performed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Which b-sides have been perfomed?

I'm not talking about covers, but original b-sides.

I know of North and South of the River, Holy Joe, Spanish Eyes...

I know there are others but can't think of them right now.

I'm only including eras from which b-sides have been played. Thus, an era like October is excluded as its sole b-side, J. Swallow, was not played live.

Pre-Boy/Boy era:
- Boy/Girl
- Touch
- Things To Make And Do
(Plus the non-album a-sides of Another Day and 11 O'clock Tick Tock. This is the only U2 era from which EVERY song has been played live.)

Pre-War era:
- Party Girl, as well as its non-album a-side A Celebration

Joshua Tree era:
- Spanish Eyes
- Silver And Gold
- The Sweetest Thing (not until 2000, though snippeted in 1989)

Zooropa era:
- Slow Dancing (this debuted in 1989)

Pop era:
- Holy Joe
- North And South Of The River

HTDAAB era:
- She's A Mystery To Me (debuted in 1989 - a live version of it from 2004 was finally officially released as a HTDAAB b-side, right?)

I think that's complete.

hcbiggs2002 said:
Party Girl (b-side of I will Follow)

:huh:

I Will Follow was a single in 1980. Its b-sides were (depending on release) live versions of Boy/Girl and Out Of Control.

Party Girl was the b-side of the 1982 A Celebration single.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I knew you'd pull through...

I didn't realize 'She's A Mystery To Me' was officially a b-side...love that song.

Just looked it up: She's A Mystery To Me live from the Brooklyn Bridge gig appeared on the All Because Of You single (worldwide one, not the Canadian one).

Also, I just realised I did actually omit one b-side (I had a feeling I had!). Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad was performed live by Bono and Edge for Sinatra's 80th birthday, and was also snippeted at an Antwerp Elevation concert.

Axver said:

Also, I just realised I did actually omit one b-side (I had a feeling I had!). Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad was performed live by Bono and Edge for Sinatra's 80th birthday, and was also snippeted at an Antwerp Elevation concert.

Well I forgive you for that one being that the performace WAS the b-side.:wink:

But I've never heard that performance of She's a Mystery to Me...I need to track that down.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well I forgive you for that one being that the performace WAS the b-side.:wink:

True! There's a couple of other technicalities that may get me off the hook too. :wink:

1. The song was only played by Bono and Edge, not U2.
2. I believe the contribution was recorded prior to the actual 80th birthday party and was not witnessed by a live audience, not even one on the other end of a satellite.

Also, a few other notable almost-performed b-sides:

- Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?): its earlier version, Pete The Chop, was played live.
- Walk To The Water: snippeted once in 1992.
- Hallelujah Here She Comes: debatably snippeted in 1987 (yes, a year before its release); Bono can clearly be heard singing "hallelujah here she comes" over part of Edge's solo in a performance of Bullet The Blue Sky. Did HHSC exist then (other songs released later had their genesis around this time)? Is it another song? I'm not sure.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Interesting...What song?

It was snippeted during Bad on 13 June 1992 in Kiel, Germany. Unfortunately, I didn't find this snippet and I don't have the bootleg, so I don't know just how much of it is sung.

(That concert also has Yeats's September 1913 snippeted in Love Is Blindness. I have a couple of other bootlegs with that snippet and I think it is :drool: worthy.)

Axver said:

:huh:

I Will Follow was a single in 1980. Its b-sides were (depending on release) live versions of Boy/Girl and Out Of Control.

Party Girl was the b-side of the 1982 A Celebration single.

Yes you're right! I mis-read my the discography in my 'U2 the complete songs' songbook. Didn't have my reading glasses on!! :lol:
And I didn't have time to check my own 7" vinyl single of I will Follow. :wink:

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I've never heard that performance of She's a Mystery to Me...I need to track that down.

I have the video of the song from the brooklyn bridge gig, can upload it if you want it... :)

:) uploading atm, pc is slow, it'll take about 10 minutes ^^

Shart, I agree with you on Lady with the spinning head... I love that song!

Two shots of happy one shot of sad

Actually the version that is on the IGWSHA single are the live version wich was played in 1995. The IGWSHA was released in 1997, so does this song count?

I and I in the said:
Unchained Melody and Satellite of Love were covered as B Sides.

Also Night and Day was performed. That was a B Side to One.

Yes, but all of those are covers. The thread is about which original b-sides have been played live.

(I'm just waiting for some smartarse to come in and say Twilight, considering it was Another Day's b-side as well as a Boy track.)

Axver said:

Yes, but all of those are covers. The thread is about which original b-sides have been played live.

(I'm just waiting for some smartarse to come in and say Twilight, considering it was Another Day's b-side as well as a Boy track.)

Oh God

I think most people want to forget that version of Twilight exists.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Oh God

I think most people want to forget that version of Twilight exists.

:lol:

I like to play it just for the amusement value.

U2 should play Summer Rain... it'd be perfect for an acoustic set.

thanks for the Brooklyn Bridge video :up: (i know it wasn't for me but I appreciate it anyway :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom