B-Sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
An interesting question here -- everyone reveres the late 80s U2 productivity and particularly the B-sides. They hail this period of U2 as a particularly productive one for the band, in terms of album content as well as B-sides.

However, I just now fired up my ATYCLB outtakes playlist and was surprised to notice that ATYCLB has only two fewer songs in the outtakes than JT -- once you add in the releases from the boxed set.

The songs are:
- Love You Like Mad
- Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
- Flower Child
- Summer Rain
- Levitate
- Always

I think these songs are almost as strong as the JT B-sides, so I'm curious why they don't get the same kind of attention? Was it because they were only released three years ago, so they aren't as well known? Was it because of the fact that 87 was U2's first consistently great year of releases, so everyone holds that up as the gold standard? Or is it because at the end of the day, we're all children of the 80s? Is there anyone out there who thinks the B-sides from Pop are more compelling than those from JT? Or the 00 B-sides?

These songs are good but 'Luminous Times' and 'Walk to the Water' are not only great b-sides but rank up there as some of their best work...

Don't forget:

1. Big Girls Are Best (released as ATYCLB B-side)
2. Stateless (didn't make album but used for MDH Soundtrack)
3. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (didn't make album but used for MDH Soundtrack & extra album track for UK).

Also, I think 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' is from the HTDAAB sessions.

Patokeefe said:
Don't forget:

1. Big Girls Are Best (released as ATYCLB B-side)
2. Stateless (didn't make album but used for MDH Soundtrack)
3. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (didn't make album but used for MDH Soundtrack & extra album track for UK).

Also, I think 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' is from the HTDAAB sessions.

I think his point of leaving those off is that Big Girls was recorded during the Pop sessions, and Stateless and Ground were from the MDH soundtrack.

This was suppose to be JT sessions vs ATYCLB sessions.

half of these songs aren't even B-sides :huh:

[KICKS OFF HUGE DEBATE YET AGAIN]

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think his point of leaving those off is that Big Girls was recorded during the Pop sessions, and Stateless and Ground were from the MDH soundtrack.

This was suppose to be JT sessions vs ATYCLB sessions.

Stateless and TGBHF are from the ATYCLB sessions. They were leftovers that Bono grabbed for the MDH movie. In the end Adam, Larry and Edge ended up wishing that they had kept TGBHF, which is one of the reasons it appears on the European and Japanese versions of the album.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
Are you gonna wait forever is from ATYCLB sessions? Intereting.... Sounds Bomb-like.

It must be from HTDAAB sessions, certainly Bono's hutdab voice

Back
Top Bottom