AYGWF? - All comments here! (NO REQUESTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I absolutely can't wait to get my Vertigo singles in the mail. As soon as I get them I'm putting the first one in my sound system and blasting these two songs at full volume. :D (Vertigo and AYGWF that is)

U2_Guy said:

On the singin style.

Really? I don't hear it myself. When I think Rattle and Hum, I generally think of Bono's rough voice. His, "Into the arms....of America" slant. This sounds more like the latter tracks of AB and ATYCLB.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about but it's league better than Holy Joe.

Cheers,

J

"And high we walk when we begin to crawl
And I say child, will you never make it know
Baby sweet, you on and on"...

This definitely reminds me of "Where did it all go wrong?", due to the demo quality vocals. Unlike other, better non-album tracks (Lady with the Spinning Head, Salome, Sweetest Thing) this one has no background vocals or harmonies, so it definitely sounds rougher than those. Fairly interesting as a b-side though.
And didn't I hear that this is supposedly a leftover from ATYCLB? If so, then it's probably not indicative of the sound of HTDAAB.

shart1780 said:
-

Where did you get those crappy lyrics?

It's from Morning Child (the first draft of Who's Gonna ride your wild horses)...

I love this song...

Is the Discotheque single the only place you can find Holy Joe? If so, where can you find a Discotheque single nowadays? lol

FullonEdge2 said:
Is the Discotheque single the only place you can find Holy Joe? If so, where can you find a Discotheque single nowadays? lol

Leave your email adress and I'll send it to you.

FullonEdge2 said:

In case you are not being ironic, search on Ebay. It's one of the cheapest U2 singles there.

shart1780 said:
How about you just get the MP3? Cheap and easy :)

Hehehe...that was my collectors self speaking...

I have 4 different versions of Discoteque on CD (2 slimline case, 1 digipak and another digipak with the couch empty) + the triple Discoteque vynil...

Hehehe...

:hyper:

I'm :drool: ing over the guitar on this song. I love it!

Has anyone thought the opening and closing guitar riffs for this song sound like the middle and ending bit to "New York"?

blah, not a fan.... during the chorus.... those annoying guitars get on my nerves. typical BSide material.

I like it - obivously not the greatest U2 song ever, but it's got some nice guitars! Bono's vocals are really good in some parts but a bit overly-scratchy in others... typical B-side material though I'd take it over, say, Peace on Earth anyday, though you can't really compare the two songs as they're vastly different...it does make a nice companion for Vertigo though as to me it seems even more raw and very rockin... also goes well with Always as someone said, both have an upbeat feel.

Hey, so what's the best version of Holy Joe? The only one I have is the Gulity Mix which was on the single with the mirrors and the dance remixes of Discotheque and stuff...if that makes any sense :huh:

it's a pretty cool song, good b-side. don't all b-sides somehow have that same b-side feel to it?

i love the bridge. reminds me acrobat. the intro kicks ass, with that intro they could have made it as fast-paced a song as vertigo! still a great song. Bono sounds great!

AtomicBono said:
I like it - obivously not the greatest U2 song ever, but it's got some nice guitars! Bono's vocals are really good in some parts but a bit overly-scratchy in others... typical B-side material though I'd take it over, say, Peace on Earth anyday, though you can't really compare the two songs as they're vastly different...it does make a nice companion for Vertigo though as to me it seems even more raw and very rockin... also goes well with Always as someone said, both have an upbeat feel.

Hey, so what's the best version of Holy Joe? The only one I have is the Gulity Mix which was on the single with the mirrors and the dance remixes of Discotheque and stuff...if that makes any sense :huh:

Garage mix is better.

From what I've heard, I'd like to hear the garage mix the most.

Oh, I see you sent it Lancemc!! Thank you! I don't think I've gotten this much "new" U2 music in one day since I got October!

:bow:

A couple interesting tidbits

If the "Hello, Hello" in Vertigo is a throwback to Stories For Boys, then the lyric in this song "Gonna Find Myself in You" is pretty damn close to a throwback to the line "Don't Find Yourself in Me" from Love Comes Tumbling.

It also seems ironic that both songs are b-sides.... Perhaps also of note that Love Comes Tumbling is from UF and some a couple of reviews have drawn comparisons from "Bomb" to UF...

Any thoughts here?

On a side note, in regards to U2 b-sides, Morrissey has released many b-sides that rank with the very best of his solo work.... U2 is a different kind of band with more mass appeal so I don't think they are comfortable taking that kind of risk.

Will I get flamed for that last line?? Lets find out!

Still hanging on....

Back
Top Bottom