AYGWF? - All comments here! (NO REQUESTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's definitely a perfect b-side, and I do agree it reminds me of Always a little bit. I'm really enjoying it a lot, and I think it compliments Vertigo pretty well on the single.

klappie said:
hola! now that Are You Gonna Wait is out in all its glorious ringing tones, it reminded me a little bit of this tune I have.
It seems to be an outtake called Novelty Act from late 90s sessions for All That... well it sounds similar in the ringing guitar in the chorus at least..
I've put up a clip here:
http://http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=973364A3AD5E0ED5B2AC8034061E4EB8

what do you think, what period does this suit best with?

cheers!

Could you put the clip up again please? It doesn't seem to be working

B-sides are great to listen to because its like looking at an artists sketches in a way. Instead these are more like much more finished versions. Its great to hear the different little experiments U2 makes on their B-sides (some more than others) The tune is more complete in the guitar section than the rest of the song, but it still gives you that feeling of where they were trying to go. I love listening to these tunes, even if they are throwaway or not up to par with the album, you can get a nice little taste of a direction where they may have gone during recording and didn't on the album; or quite possibly the genesis of a certain song on the album. Very exciting, If this is the direction they went on the new release I can only imagine what it would be after being much more developed and fine tuned.

i think it's way better than always (i always preferred summer rain)

I like the melody alot and edge is on fire! If this is not good enough to be on the album it's a very good sign!

Lyrics:

All the obstacles in my way, now
Are disappearing every day, now
I'm getting closer
We're getting closer to home
It won't be long until the summer comes

Are you gonna wait forever?

Getting out from under my bed, now
I'm going to say the things I should have said, now
Getting closer
Getter to close to what's true
Gonna find myself in you

There's no one there behind their eyes
They're in the business, beautiful lies
We'll keep the promise
'Cause we don't know how to break it
The furniture you can rearrange
Don't trade your dreams for some small change
Guard the flame, we're better living naked

How?
How, how long, how long?
Or is it now, now, now?
Or is it now?

Anyone notice how Bono's vocals on this song sound like Rattle and Hum era Bono?

It's a really good b-side.

I LOVE IT!

It's totally AB...totally...

I even think i prefer it to Vertigo... This song has more "sound nuances" i guess... (but, then again, i've always prefered Always to BD... Always intro is brilliant and i love the vocoder too).

Man... i love this song! "Are you gonna wait foreveeer"...

GREAT GUITAR!!!

david said:
Anyone notice how Bono's vocals on this song sound like Rattle and Hum era Bono?

It's a really good b-side.

TOTALLY R & H!

That's exactly what i thought!

Man... this song rules...

Its a good song but I think it lacks a vital ingredient to make it more than an interesting b-side..slightly one-dimensional I think. That said, I do love hearing that AB sound again.

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
Its a good song but I think it lacks a vital ingredient to make it more than an interesting b-side..slightly one-dimensional I think. That said, I do love hearing that AB sound again.

one-dimensional?? I think it has loads of nuances... listen on the ear phone!

Vertigo is much more "one-dimensional", i think.

I think Vertigo has better tempo-shifts and a far more memorable riff..the song itself has greater momentum and guts. AYGWF? sounds a bit sludgy, nothing really stands out about the song to lift it above the "pretty good" description in my opinion. Its better than some of the filler songs on some U2 albums though.

"The furniture you can rearrange
Don't trade your dreams for some small change
Guard the flame, or better leave it naked"

that's the best part!

Yeah I like that bit too. Anyway why is it that U2 b-sides are not that good generally? For a great band with so many good songs I've always found it a little odd that their non-album songs are typically not that good. Ground Beneath Her Feeet and HMTMKMKM are the only ones that immediatly come to mind as amazing songs, oh and the '98 version of Sweetest Thing.

I really love this song guys. It's a perfect companion for Always. I like the uplifting mood and lyrics alot. Plus the guitar sound is great as well.

Overall I think this is a great b-side and will probably end up being one of my favorites.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Yeah I like that bit too. Anyway why is it that U2 b-sides are not that good generally? For a great band with so many good songs I've always found it a little odd that their non-album songs are typically not that good. Ground Beneath Her Feeet and HMTMKMKM are the only ones that immediatly come to mind as amazing songs, oh and the '98 version of Sweetest Thing.

They're not that good because they're b-sides!

I dunno. While their b-sides aren't that great, I do like a lot of them and like listening to them on b-side mix cds I make.

This is basically Wild Horses sped up.

A cute B-side. Actung Baby-ish, maybe a little ATYCLB-ish. I don't know where you guys can hear any R&H in it though.

david said:

They're not that good because they're b-sides!

I dunno. While their b-sides aren't that great, I do like a lot of them and like listening to them on b-side mix cds I make.

There's a number of bands whose b-sides are as good as anything on their albums.:)

Where in the world is this single on sale already? I bought mines from Australia (really cheap) and they will only ship them on november the 8th...

Back
Top Bottom