ATYCLB V HTDAAB tracks 1-6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt76

Acrobat
So what you reckon then at this early stage?

Beatiful day v Vertigo = BD (1-0)
SIAMTYCGOO V MD = Tight, draw (1-0)
E V SYCMIOYO = SYCMIOYO (2-0)
WO v LAPOE = WO (2-1)
Kite V COBL = Doh, kite of course !

so overall it's a dead heat!

Oops just realised my scoring is way off on part of it
i still make it 2-2 though!

HTDAAB has the strongest first half of any U2 album...and yes, I mean it is even better than The Joshua Tree first half(I for one am already bored by Still Haven't Found and Bullet is million times better live...). Not one song, except maybe Walk On, on ATYCLB stands to the magnificent first half of The Bomb.

t8thgr8 said:
stuck over miracle drug???? get the fuck outta here [/QUOTE

Aye you may have a point there. I do like Miracle Drug loads, I reckon it will take over..

I stand by the rest though

By the way fuck you too

Be cool, guys... Hey, what's with the "duh" Kite over COBL? Kite studio is weak in my opinion(live emotional and amazing). COBL is breathtaking...

1. Draw for me Vertigo has energy that Beautiful Day was lacking but Beautiful Day is a very powerful track.
2. Miracle Drug kicks the piss out of Stuck In a Moment You Cant Get Out Of, which is one of my least favourite on ATYCLB and it didnt have much to add to the live show either.
3. Sometimes You Cant make it on your own is an instant U2 classic....Vertigo is what Elevation could have and should have been.
4. Probably another Draw...Cant say I dont love Walk On because I do...just like the vibe of Love and Peace Or Else as well.
5. Draw, Kite in my mind is probably the best track on ATYCLB but would be rated about 4th if it were on Bomb.
6. In A Little While to me is one of the more experimental tracks U2 have done in awhile so I will give this one its due and make it the winner over All Because Of You.

So I guess I rate it 2-1 for bomb with 3 draws, but where Bomb makes a much bigger improvement over ATYCLB.

Yeah sorry about that djerdap, did not mean it to sound rude!
just in a jokey sense like t8thgr8

Isn't this thread about the first 6 songs? Nobody mentioned ABOY and IALW.

I've been thinking for the last couple weeks that HTDAAB is actually ALYCLB Pt. 2. In fact, I see the first 6 songs of ATYCLB as strong or stronger than HTDAAB.

Why? When I first heard HTDAAB I loved Love and Peace and I'm actually, sad to say, getting really bored of this track. I do think, however, it will be a highlight of the upcoming tour. I also think COBL is a very weak song--too safe, by the numbers, and unfortuantely seems extremely uninspired by flat verses. ABOY is a good song, but will find it's home live. The alternate version of this song has sooo much more energy!

So I think there are really only 3 outstanding tracks(Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes) in 1-6 of HTDAAB.

As for ATYCLB, the only song IMO that is weak 1-6 is Elevation(mainly because of the superior Tomb Raider mix which should have been on the album). In ATYCLB I find 5 of the first 6 songs to be outstanding.

What makes HTDAAB a better "album" all around is that ATYCLB sort of drops off in 7-11 while HTDAAB gets even stronger in the second half after slumping through Love And Peace, COBL, and ABOY.

Last edited:
BD vs Vertigo - BD
Stuck vs MD - both are some of my faves on the album, a tie
Elevation vs Sometimes - Sometimes
Walk on vs LAPOE - LAPOE
Kite vs COBL - Kite

Too early, we should do this when the tour will start and when we heard the live versions of the songs.

BD vs Ipod Jingle = BD
Stuck... vs MD = MD
Elevation vs Sometimes...= Elevation
Walk On vs LAPOE = Walk On (close one, but I hate ties)
Kite vs COBL = COBL
IALW vs ABOY = ABOY

Wow! 3-3 for me. I really thought I'd fall out on the HTDAAB side, though I love both albums. Suprised myself.

I've just realized how kinda pointless most of these "vs" threads are when people compare basically "track 1 to track 1." I mean, on ATYCLB you have a fast song at #3(Elevation) and on HTDAAB you have a slow song(Sometimes). On song 6, you have a slow song(IALW) again against a fast song(ABOY). On song 5, you have a slower ballad(Kite) against a more upbeat song(COBL).

Seems silly to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at each album/songs individually, rate them, then come with an average?

Last edited:
BD vs Vertigo - BD
Stuck vs MD - Stuck...I feel like the only person who likes Stuck and dislikes MD
Elevation vs Sometimes - Elevation by far IMO
Walk On vs LAPOE - LAPOE...I was really excited to hear them try a new sound like this song.
Kite vs COBL - no contest IMO, COBL. It's my favorite song on the new album, and I think it's gonna be amazing live.
IALW vs AMAAW - In a little While, though I do like the energy of ABOY.

So...
ATYCLB = 4
HTDAAB = 2

Last edited:
BD vs vertigo = BD
Stuck vs. MD = MD
Elevation vs Sometimes = sometimes...barely
Walk on vs. Love and Peace = Walk on...barely
Kite vs. Cobl = Kite
little while vs. ABOY = ABoy...barely

final score:
Atyclb = 3
htdaab = 3

damn.

Imagine this album:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Walk on
Kite
All Because of you

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Right here goes but I'm gonna do it differently seen as how the albums are virtually the same -
Beautiful Day v Miracle Drug - (similar sounding songs) BD 1-0
Stuck v Sometimes - SYCMIOYO 1-1
Elevation v Vertigo - (similar sounding songs) TIE 1-1
Walk On v Crumbs - (similar sounding songs) EASILY Walk On 2-1
Kite v COBL - Do I need to say.....KITE 3-1
In A Little While v AMAAW - no contest again In A Little While 3-1
Wild Honey v ABOY - ABOY 3-2
Peace On Earth v One Step Closer - OSC 3-3
When I Look At The World v OOTS - Tie 3-3
New York v Love and Peace - Tie 3-3
Grace v Yahweh - EASILY Yaweh - 3-4
TGBHF v Fast Cars - TGBHF - 4-4

Oh just as I thought a tied album match. Proven... there virtually the same.:wink:

Haha, only if you include 3 safe ties rjhbonovox! Do you really think New York equals LAPOE?

BD vs Vertigo - Beautiful Day.

Stuck vs MD - Miracle Drug. Not close.

Elevation vs Sometimes - Sometimes. Not even close although Elevation was great live.

Walk on vs LAPOE - Walk On.

Kite vs COBL - City of Blinding Lights. Kite was fantastic live though.

In a Little While vs All Because of You. In a Little While. U2's most under-rated song.

Wild Honey vs A Man and a Woman. AMAAW. Wild Honey isn't as bad as some here make it out to be but AWAAW is the stronger song.

Peace on Earth vs Crumbs. Crumbs in a rout.

When I look at the World vs One Step Closer. OSC

New York vs Original of the Species. OoTS in a rout.

Grace vs Yahweh. Yahweh.

Ground Beneath Her Feet vs Fast Cars. It's a draw.

8-3-1 in favor of HTDAAB. And I actually like ATYCLB quite a bit. Wow.

BD vs Vertigo - this is the toughest one...I love both..but I'm going with Vertigo because the guitar riff is kickass..

Stuck vs Miracle Drug - MD crushes Stuck, whch is far too poppy and has horrible production

Elevation vs Sometimes - Elevation's a decent album song, Sometimes is the best song since One.

Walk On vs LAPOE - Walk On's a very good song, but feels a bit like a retread..LAPOE is one of U2's best rock songs..so LAPOE wins

Kite vs COBL - I'm going with Kite here as its a great song and COBL is still growing on me.

In A Little While vs ABOY - ABOY stomps In A Little While into the mud! No contest here

Wild Honey vs AMAAW - I actually prefer Wild Honey at this time..its woefully underrated.

Peace On Earth vs Crumbs - Crumbs in a heartbeat. this match-up shows what HTDAAB has that ATYCLB lacks....good album tracks aside from the singles.

When I Look At The World vs OSC - One Step..takes this one, its a great song, whereas WILATW feels too restrained and also half-assed.

New York vs Original Of The Species - Original is one of U2's best ballads ever and New York is near the bottom fo their rock stuff so the outcome is obvious here.

Grace vs Yahweh - I like Grace, but Yahweh is a bit more interesting despite its shrill chorus.

9-2 in favour of HTDAAB!

BD vs Vertigo - a tie
Stuck vs Miracle Drug - Stuck
Elevation vs Sometimes - Sometimes
Walk On vs LAPOE - a tie

Kite vs COBL - Kite is one of my favourite U2 songs of all time, so no contest here

In A Little While vs ABOY - In a Little While. This is a real underrated gem IMO and one of Bono's best vocals too.

Wild Honey vs AMAAW - a tie
Peace On Earth vs Crumbs - Crumbs
When I Look At The World vs OSC - One Step Closer
New York vs Original Of The Species - Original of the Species
Grace vs Yahweh - Grace

So it's a draw; with ATYCLB dominating the first half and HTDAAB dominating the bottom half.

1. BD vs Vertigo = Beautiful Day
2. Miracle Drug vs Stuck = Miracle Drug
3. Elevation vs Sometimes = Sometimes
4. Love and Peace vs Walk On = Walk On (just!)
5. City vs Kite = City
6. All Because of You vs In a Little While = Tie
7. A man and a woman vs Wild Honey = Man and Woman
8. Crumbs vs Peace = Crumbs
9. One Step Closer vs When I look at the world = Tie
10. Original vs New York = Original (just)
11. yahweh vs grace = Yahweh by a mile
12. fast cars vs TGBHF = tie

The Bomb wins 7-2 with 3 ties....a thumping victory!

Oh, if we include Ground beneath her feet and Fast cars it's

BD
Stuck
Sometimes
Love and peace
Kite
IALW
AMAAW
Crumbs
OSC
OOTS
Yahweh

Ground

5 points for ATYCLB, 7 points for HTDAAB. (4 to 7 if you don't count Ground... and Fast cars which weren't on all versions)

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
I've just realized how kinda pointless most of these "vs" threads are when people compare basically "track 1 to track 1." I mean, on ATYCLB you have a fast song at #3(Elevation) and on HTDAAB you have a slow song(Sometimes). On song 6, you have a slow song(IALW) again against a fast song(ABOY). On song 5, you have a slower ballad(Kite) against a more upbeat song(COBL).

Seems silly to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at each album/songs individually, rate them, then come with an average?

it's seems silly tome not to do it!!!
:wink:

Anyway It's all good fun and I reckon the same result comes out in the end

Back
Top Bottom