ATYCLB turned 7 the other day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that has more to do with the listing of the tracks on the album. Towards the end almost all the tracks are slow paced.

There is something about this album that has just become a part of history, like a kick off for the decade before horrible things like 9/11 and Iraq war started happening. And how the lyrics are so surreal like they were written after 9/11 has always struck a chord in me. Sure, initially I was disappointed in the sound but now I see it as one of U2's phases where they experimented with pure pop. I almost never listen to the original album but simply putting Elevation after Beautiful Day and Stuck (acoustic) at the end of Side A works for me very well. The monochrome album cover is a nice change from their albeit awesome, colorful covers.

Happy Birthday ATYCLB! :)

I still like the album after all these years. Granted, there are a couple of songs that I skip, but overall, I think it's a great listen.

Of course, the ATYCLB haters rear their heads, but hey, opinions are like noses, everyone's got one. Lol!

It's not really a great record by any means, but it's not bad either. Beautiful Day is still an amazing song, Walk On has some power (especially live), and there are a handful of underappreciated gems on there too (Wild Honey, WILATW, New York).

I was in the Far East when this one came out, and I hadn't listened to U2 much for about six years. I bought ATYCLB, based on the fact that it was doing so well and getting great notices in late 2000. Listened to it a couple of times, and basically hated it. I couldn't get past the slick production, Bono's way-too-high-in-the-mix voice, or the utter cheese of a track like 'Elevation.'

I think it was 'Beautiful Day' that eventually won me over. I realized that to get the song, one had to (a) listen to understand the (excellent) lyrics, and (b) turn the music up loud to get the full effect of the drums and bass. Once I got back into listening to the record in late winter 2001, I realized finally that it was great (aside from 'Elevation' that is).

So, in retrospect, I love the record and I think it's great. I don't agree with the apparent consensus that it runs out of steam in the second half. 'In A Little While', 'When I Look at the World', 'Peace On Earth', 'New York', and 'Grace' are all songs I hold in high regard.

I think maybe Bono visualized this album as sort-of U2's 'What's Goin' On'. He recorded his vocals to get the most soulful sound, and his lyrics are mainly about the struggle for Grace in a corrupt world (as on almost every album, actually). On that point, I disagree with those who criticize the lyrics; I think many of Bono's best are on ATYCLB. He deserves notice just for the stunningly beautiful bridge of images in 'Beautiful Day': 'See the world in green and blue...', etc.

I suspect a lot of hardcore U2 fans are a bit down on this one because it doesn't rock that hard, and of course because of the ultimate sin -- it was really popular with mainstream listeners. But that's kind of silly, since U2 has always aimed at winning over as many mainstream listeners as possible. There's a populist band, whether or not they've had occasional diversions into slightly more experimental material.

If I had to go back to 2000 and change anything about ATYCLB, I would do three things: (1) delete 'Elevation'; (2) move 'Walk On' nearer the end, maybe just before 'Grace'; (3) re-mix the entire record to bring Bono's vox down and the guitars, bass, and drums up.

65980 said:
I suspect a lot of hardcore U2 fans are a bit down on this one because it doesn't rock that hard, and of course because of the ultimate sin -- it was really popular with mainstream listeners.
Good posting and nice insight in your own U2 history – but regarding your suspect, nope, you're not hitting at least my point. Why? Just because my two favourite U2 albums "The Joshua Tree" & "Achtung Baby" can't be called underground albums either. They were and still are really popular with mainstram listeners. The problem with ATYCLB is simply, it's not in the same league as those masterpieces. In other words: It's worse, in my ears far worse ...

first of all, anyone who calls this album anything less than a great piece of art is, quite frankly, lost....

Kite, Beautiful Day, Stuck, Walk On, When I look at the World, In a little While are some of U2's best...

Grace is a beautiful song despite what some say..(saying that the song bores you or is too long doesn't make it a bad song, it's just not your taste, BIG DIFFERENCE)

now look at elevation, not as great as the songs BUT! one important thing...this song works wonders with audiences, from stadiums to arenas, and i think it's a really effective way to communicate with the audience and get everyone singing with their hands in the air (animated i guess)...

so taking that into consideration, I have no complaints regarding that song...

ALRIGHT! so 7 out of 11 songs are 9's and 10's (on a 1-10 scale) and then elevation a bit lower but awesome live song...THATS 8 SONGS OUT OF ELEVEN, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

New york, Wild Honey, and Peace on Earth are all great songs that many enjoy, but they simply lack the craftsmanship of the rest of the songs...

In conclusion, ATYCLB is an amazing album, in which is some of U2's finest work...

Rob33 said:
In conclusion, ATYCLB is an amazing album, in which is some of U2's finest work...
That's your conclusion only – but, as said before, it is all about taste and difference ...

Response

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Good posting and nice insight in your own U2 history – but regarding your suspect, nope, you're not hitting at least my point. Why? Just because my two favourite U2 albums "The Joshua Tree" & "Achtung Baby" can't be called underground albums either. They were and still are really popular with mainstram listeners. The problem with ATYCLB is simply, it's not in the same league as those masterpieces...

In the first place, I wasn't attempting to respond to your post at all. But since you insist on prioritizing your own opinions on this thread, I'll bite --- let's look at your comments on the previous page:

Plus: This [ATYCLB] album was the 1st album not being a real U2 album in my ears, because it was much more a "collection of tunes & song ideas". This because, I didn't lose the feeling, Bono threw away his ability of in deep songwriting, but now turning to be the man, using simple, common language instead of poetry for his lyrics.

Your point here is actually pseudo-babel unless you are willing to define for us what a "real album" is (as opposed to a fake album), and what "poetry" is in general, even in a rock music context (where, arguably, it doesn't exist). I understand that ATYCLB isn't to your taste, and that's great. But these points just don't make sense. I didn't realize that rock music was so pretentious that "a collection of tunes & song ideas" no longer constitutes a "real album." Er... what else IS an album then? The Pop record is not a sociology dissertation, it's a collection of tunes and song ideas. Regarding Bono's lyrics, I consider the ALYCLB ones to be excellent, frequently outstanding. A few platitudes maybe in 'Kite' and 'Elevation', but outstanding overall.

Why all this, I asked myself even then. The answer was and is simple: It was the way, to get away from the experiments, that characterized the 90ies albums: Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop (and in a way even the soundtrack album for Passenegers & Million Dollar Hotel). These albums, by the way, stand along fine, passing the test of time.

I agree those are great albums (but I don't think 'Zooropa' or 'Pop' are necessarily going to stand the test of time; certainly not 'Passengers'). Personally, having been a U2 fan since the late 80s, I think the extent of the "experiments" in the 90s is greatly over-stated by the media and by the band itself. They certainly changed their aesthetic a lot (production, vibe, fashion), but I don't think the music changed that much.

And, yes, "Beautiful Day" is one of the most overrated tunes in U2's history. It is a marketing juingle, folks, that's all. Listen to a real album, its pre-decessor Pop, listen to one of those real songs, "Please" for example – then you might understand, what I mean

Well, no I don't. I certainly agree that "Please" is a great song, but why then do I like "Beautiful Day" and you don't? Are people's tastes so narrow that they can only enjoy one variety of something, rather than appreciate a diverse whole? Can't we appreciate slow songs and fast ones, happy and sad, euphoric and bitter? If you've listened to a lot of late 60s albums, especially The Beatles, the mood, tone, aesthetic, style, instrumentation, and musical key (sometimes rhythm pattern) change a lot from one song to the next, to the point where you might not know you're listening to the same band from one track to the next. I consider this a good thing.

I concur that U2 were aiming for a larger piece of the pie with "Beautiful Day", but they've always done so. Since they basically copied the entire 'Elevation-tour' stage, set, and approach to use on 'Vertigo', they themselves obviously were happier with the response to ALTYCLB than to Pop.

What I'm saying is: Why can't one love both Pop and ATYCLB? I can, so I guess I'm a happier U2 fan than you are.

Re: Response

Originally posted by 65980
What I'm saying is: Why can't one love both Pop and ATYCLB? I can, so I guess I'm a happier U2 fan than you are.

Well said!

Axver said:

Yep. I think the "back to their roots" talk was really daft anyway, because U2's roots - i.e. the band's original sound and most prominent early influences - lie in post-punk! Now, do you hear post-punk on ATYCLB? I sure as hell don't. It sounds nothing like Joy Division or The Chameleons or early The Cure or even Boy and U2's non-album 1979-80 songs.

I don't understand some of the massive praise it receives here.

A couple of questions here..
With all your dislike of this album and AB, HTDAAB, what did you like?
and post punk is not a substainable musical goal.
This is a serious question because I can't figure why you are still a U2 fan, since they don't add up to your earlier standards.
It's obvious they haven't done the same thing since their earlier decades - over and over - so do you expect this from every band you like then hate them because they don't.
Can any band do this?
just curious:wink:

this comes down to something very simple: personal taste/preference...

just because an album doesn't sound the way you WANT it to sound doesn't make it a lesser album, quality wise (from an OBJECTIVE STANDPOINT)

so many fans do this with all genres of music, they confuse this, and think that because something doesn't sound the way they want it to, it is not as great or something..but I really see it a lot with U2, because of how big they are....

pretty much everything in this thread regarding ATYCLB is expressed through opinion, and personal taste only....

Re: Response

65980 said:
I guess I'm a happier U2 fan than you are.

Congratulations then. I won't comment further on your posting.
@ all: Opinions differ – as obviously the ability to recognize poetry and/or common language used for lyrics. But in the end, it's music and a matter of taste, as said above. So enjoy ...

Last edited:
i still think the original tracklisting is better:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
In A Little While
Wild Honey
WILATW
Grace

sue4u2 said:
With all your dislike of this album and AB, HTDAAB, what did you like?
[...]
This is a serious question because I can't figure why you are still a U2 fan, since they don't add up to your earlier standards.

Achtung has two of my favourite U2 songs ever, The Fly and Acrobat, plus two more great songs in UTEOTW and LIB. It's just that the rest sucks. ATYCLB has precious little redeeming features - even its best song, WILATW, doesn't have a hope in hell of breaking my top thirty. HTDAAB was an improvement; it fails lyrically, but LAPOE, COBL, OSC, and Crumbs are all good. That said, I'm in no hurry to listen to any of the three albums.

So why am I here? Well, there's no rule saying I have to like their recent output, is there? I was under the impression this was a U2 fan forum, not an ATYCLB/HTDAAB fan forum. Their eighties stuff, Passengers, and assorted songs from other eras are great. The live shows are fantastic and remain so; Vertigo was one of their best tours and I remain as interested in U2's setlists as ever. Plus, this forum has a community that I've very much become a part of. It's the closest thing I have to an online home, so I'm certainly in no hurry to go anywhere, and I'm not exactly sorry I don't match up to your standards of what a U2 fan should think and say.

and post punk is not a substainable musical goal.
It's obvious they haven't done the same thing since their earlier decades - over and over - so do you expect this from every band you like then hate them because they don't.
Can any band do this?
just curious:wink:

That's rather beside the point. It's not whether U2 can or should make post-punk. If they're going to say they're going back to their roots with an album - well, their roots are post-punk! So I was critiquing that hype as thoroughly inaccurate.

Axver said:

and I'm not exactly sorry I don't match up to your standards of what a U2 fan should think and say.

That's rather beside the point. It's not whether U2 can or should make post-punk. If they're going to say they're going back to their roots with an album - well, their roots are post-punk! So I was critiquing that hype as thoroughly inaccurate.

No offense, really- I have absoutely no standards of anyone matching up to what I think a U2 fan should think or say.

Regarding the post-punk remark, though - almost everything they've put out can be considered their post-punk era, so going back to their roots could be a reference to anything they've done.
Just an observation, love
and I understand why you like their early music. :wink:

Axver said:

Exactly: When U2 and/or their marketing circus around them claim, that the band goes "back to the roots", I do not think about theories in art history, but I do think of the very early music U2 made, when they started in the post-punk era. The music, we get to know now as the Pre-Boy and Boy-era.

But this music you don't find at all in ATYCLB – though the flat and at least for me not that meaningful (*smile*) produced "Beautiful Day" seems to have kind of a shadow of these times. When it first came out, a lot of people thought to hear similiraties to "11' Clock Tick Tock". Maybe right and maybe one of the reasons, why U2 studied this tune and performed it on very rare occasions live, too. In other words: ATYCLB is not a "back to the roots" album. But they obviouls were studying the early tracks a lot in the 2000s – lucky for all the fans, who ever wanted to listen to BOY, OCTOBER and even WAR tunes, U2 haven't played live for decades.
But "back to the roots" could be labelled the whole HTDAAB project – with even the producers, who contributed to the early stuff. You can hear it in tracks like "Vertigo", that was live for everybody obviously linked with its predecessor "Stories For Boys". But also the stomping "All Because Of You", the 2nd part of "City Of Blinding Lights" and certain (Lillywhite) sound elements, i.g. in "Crumbs From Your Table", remind me of the U2, at least in the first half of the 80ies. Still I do think "A Man And A Woman" is kind of a brother to "Love Comes Tumbling", too.

Pure speculation, but I still think, that the next album will definetly break with this retro-aspect or at least step away from it a bit – and I do interpret Bono's (vague) comments on the forthcoming album (we've got a new sound, "either the Rock gets louder or ...") that way.

The album has a couple of clunkers on it, namely Wild Honey and Grace.

New York has taken on more resonance considering what happened a year after the album was issued.

Kite, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Stuck in a Moment, In a Little While and Elevation are the masterpieces of the album, and perhaps U2's best album run ever. U2 could have released an EP with just these 6 songs and it would have sold 12 million copies.

Peace on Earth is an underrated classic. When I Look at the World is great because it asks some interesting questions and is possibly the darkest track on the album.

Overall, I'd give the album a 4/5.

(Though I'd switch Grace with Flower Child or Summer Rain and Wild Honey with Love You Like Mad.)

Back
Top Bottom