ATYCLB - sales in 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike63

The Fly
According to an article on www.youtwo.net, a newspaper in Ireland (The Examiner I think) is saying ATYCLB has sold close to 8 million copies this year. If this is true then I think the overall sales for ATYCLB would be way in excess of the current estimate of 10.5 million. I say this as I am sure ATYCLB sold more than 2.5 million in 2000 e.g. 3 million sales in Europe.

Views ?

Sorry, I'm pathetic at things worldwide....only country by country
wink.gif
The thing we need to do here is calculate all of STING's worldwide estimates for each week of 2001, and hopefully we'll get something the is close to 8 million. But truly, that is A LOT, I'm not sure if it really sold that many this year. I'd say it sold 5.5-6 million in 2000, so if that were the case, it would be somewhere around the 13.5-14 million. That's enormous! I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration, but DON'T take my word for it. Listen to what STING or WOMANFISH or POPMARTIJIN or DOCTORWHO have to say.
WHYWHY

The biog on Bono states that ATYCLB sold 5 million in the first few weeks, so that would mean (if the newspaper report was correct) total sales approaching 13 million - exactly what PM predicted earlier in the year !

Hold on now, not so fast, although I wish. I'll post my estimate on total worldwide sales to date on Sunday. It has not cracked 11 million yet, but its getting close. By my estimates of course.

Hello,

This post is maybe a slight aberation of the original topic, but I think it's best in place here. The total, year-end, numbers of the Dutch charts have been published. The numbers are courtesy of the Mega Top 100 ( http://web.planet.nl/music/megaman/kwartaal.shtml ).
The good news is that U2 have some presence on the yearly chart. I will stick with the order of the weekly updates, so I'll start with the albums, with ATYCLB.

After the third quarter ATYCLB was at #5 on the chart. The last three months the album had to tolerate some competition by other bestsellers. Nevertheless, ATYCLB ends the year at #7. As the album was the #3 best selling record last year (and the best selling record by an international artist) this means that it has a top 10 position 2 years in a row! No actual sales data is given, but the top 10 does have an index compared to the #1 album. The index for ATYCLB is 47%. The reports say that the #1 album has sold more than 200,000 copies in 2001, so ATYCLB has sold at least 100,000 copies. As the album is certified double platinum since the end of last year I'm fairly sure the album would be at least 3x platinum when re-certified (a platinum record is equal to 80,000 in sales).

There is also another U2 record on the charts. By consistently selling through the whole year, The Best Of 1980-1990 occupies the #76 position. Not bad for a record that has been out for more than 3 years! Unfortunately, I have no info to estimate the total sales of this record.

The #1 album of 2001 is Bulletproof by Dutch act K-Otic. They were manufactured on TV (like O-Town, Hear'Say and Popstars in other countries). Notable absentees include N'Sync and Britney Spears. Britney is #101 on the chart. Her album is even outsold by REM! (disclaimer: I have nothing against REM, on the contrary, but Reveal wasn't really a big hit across the world)

Here is the top 10 of the Dutch charts in 2001:
1 K-OTIC Bulletproof (Dutch act)
2 ALESSANDRO SAFINA Insieme a te
3 ANASTACIA Not that kind
4 DESTINY'S CHILD Survivor
5 K3 Alle kleuren
6 ANDREA BOCELLI Cieli di Toscana
7 U2 All that you can't leave behind
8 LIVE V
9 TWARRES Stream (Dutch act)
10 MARK KNOPFLER Sailing to Philadelphia

U2 can also be found on the Single Top 100 of 2001. Elevation ends the year on the #24 position. I really don't have any other info regarding sales, etc. I'm glad, however, that they beat Geri Halliwel's It's Raining Men and J-Lo's I'm Real. Unfortunately, it is also the only U2 single at the year-end chart.

The #1 single of 2001 is by the same act as the #1 on the album chart. Before the group had decided on the name K-Otic they were known by the name of the TV programme: Starmaker. Their single Damn I Think I Love You outsold everyone this year. It was a close call, however, with #2, Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head (apparently only 500 copies).
There are also no N'Sync singles on the year-end chart. Britney does make the top 100, her I'm A Slave For You is #78, on eplace below Drowning by the Backstreet Boys (also their only single in the top 100).

Here is the top 10 of the Dutch single charts in 2001:
1 STARMAKER Damn (I think i love you) (Dutch act)
2 KYLIE MINOGUE Can't get you out of my head
3 ALICIA KEYS Fallin'
4 SHAGGY Angel
5 DEF RHYMZ Puf/Schudden (Dutch act)
6 SHAGGY It wasn't me
7 ONE DAY FLY I wanna be a one day fly (Dutch act)
8 ATOMIC KITTEN Whole again
9 DE POEMA'S Zij maakt het verschil (Dutch act)
10 AGUILERA/MYA/PINK Lady marmalade

In the first three quarters there was also a chart based on airplay only. That chart isn't repeated now, so I can't tell anything about U2's airplay in the Netherlands. Sorry.

Based on the figures above, 2001 was a very good year for U2 in the Netherlands. They had 3 hit singles, 2 best selling albums and three sold out concerts. The concert attendance results aren't in yet, but I think the three Elevation concerts will be highest attended concerts this year. As there are now rumours of a new album and a new European (stadium) tour next year we might see another good U2 year in 2002.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Latest report, from the Irish Independent, says that ATYCLB sold 7 million this year (and second biggest seller in Ireland behind.....Dido). This seems too high, as it would put total worldwide sales at around 12.5 million. About time the record company gave an update on actuals.

End Of Year Stats - Australia

Don't want to steal WHYWHYs thunder but the Oz EOY stats are in, and

ATYCLB - is number 10 for the year. This is pretty impressive. It was 8 last year when it was certified 3 X platinum. The last I saw (before it dropped out of the top 50) it was 4 X platinum, which must be out of date as this year ATYCLB is ahead (in terms of sales) of albums released this year which have been certfied 2 X platinum - so that must make ATYCLB 5 Xplatinum at least.

Best Of also reaches the top 100 - at number 70. Worldwide salkes for this dics must be approaching 14 million by now (10+ million in Europe & USA alone).

Anyone know if other countries have published end of year charts yet (only aware of Oz, USA & Holland) ?

Mike

According to a report from Reuters, in connection the the Grammy nominations, PM is quoted as saying ATYCLB has sold "just over" 10 million copies and is on track to surpass the Joshua Tree.....

Just over 10m seems a little low, as I thought estimates here had it heading close to 11m ? Clearly PM is still peddling the line about surpassing the JT (quoted at 17m sales, although I thought it was nearer 19m ?)- but I don't think it will. In fact I think Best Of has the only chance of catching JT in terms of sales.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom