atyclb really didnt cut it for this guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
re: The first of the thread....

I just thougth it was ironic that they "left behind" all that you can't leave behind..have you left something or someone behind and maybe they were giving you some kind of a signal?.....but seriously...I absolutley love all of my U2 CD's...and have every single one that was released since October...Maybe if you'd stood in line at midnight waiting fo the release you'd apprecite it...(that was what I said to a DJ friend when U2 released Zooropa)..I thought it was different and great

Zoomerang96 said:
khanada, i dont know if i followed you right, but you found it irritating that i even started this thread because i was bashing their latest album?

that really wasnt the case, at least not its intent.

i found the story to be rather humorous.
no no, not at all. i agreed with you, actually. i found it irritating that atyclb lovers came in and acted like we're not allowed to not like the album.

KhanadaRhodes said:

no no, not at all. i agreed with you, actually. i found it irritating that atyclb lovers came in and acted like we're not allowed to not like the album.

Well, you're not allowed not to like Pop around here so what's the big deal? :huh:

ATYCLB DID do it for me. Its songs touch me personally and are very special to me. If those lyrics don't move you, you have no soul! It came like a special gift to me and I will always treasure it. Thank you U2!:)

As for ATYCLB being radio-friendly...hmmmmmm.

Is anyone else having a hard time hearing "In a Little While" being on your average mainstream radio station? Or "Grace"? Or "Peace on Earth"? Or even "Wild Honey" or "Kite"?

The only song from ATYCLB that wasn't a single that *could* have been a single is "New York." I was even quite surprised when "Stuck" was released as a single. It was too U2 even for U2. ;)

KhanadaRhodes said:

Excuse me? I never said that personally (i was just curious to know people's reasons for not liking it, and hoping for answers a bit more substantial than "it's selling out" or "it's too soft" or "it's crap")...if there's one album people aren't allowed to not like on this board it's the oh-so overrated POP. IMO, of course.

I really don't give a damn which album people like and which one they don't..........hell, Shakespeare wrote some crummy plays.... but he's acknowledged as a great playwright. I don't care if people love or hate Pop or ATYCLB or..........you get the idea. I just don't think it's that big a deal.

U2girl said:

Excuse me? I never said that personally (i was just curious to know people's reasons for not liking it, and hoping for answers a bit more substantial than "it's selling out" or "it's too soft" or "it's crap")...if there's one album people aren't allowed to not like on this board it's the oh-so overrated POP. IMO, of course.

I agree U2girl! :up:

KhanadaRhodes said:

ooh, how hypocritical. :rolleyes:

god forbid us fans would like real music.

So now you're saying ATYCLB isn't real music??

Please. :rolleyes:

I think everyone here needs to calm down and realize that people are entitled to their own opinions. Yeah, one person's opinion might piss you off, but could we lay off the bash-fest? I happen to like ATYCLB a lot. I also happen to like Pop a lot. I'm sick of hearing of this whole ATYCLB/Pop rift as if you can only like one of the two (although at the start of this thread that wasn't the vibe, but it's definitely turned into that now).

And just as an outside observer in this thread, yes, some of the more vocal Pop fans make it seem like it's a crime not to like Pop, just as some of the more vocal ATYCLB fans make it seem like it's a crime not to like ATYCLB. Calm down people. :)

Diemen said:

I think everyone here needs to calm down and realize that people are entitled to their own opinions. Yeah, one person's opinion might piss you off, but could we lay off the bash-fest?
haha. i knew that would piss someone off. my point is exactly what you said, really. deathbear started a thread stating about not liking atyclb. no big deal. people start pro- and anti-insertalbumhere threads all the time. the problem starts when people disagreeing come in and start arguments. i know FYM is all about debating, but i never knew EYKIW was too. i thought this was a discussion board. i just wish people would be able to understand that some people will like other albums better than others. my point? don't go in a "yay!! pop rules!!!" thread and bash the album. don't go in a "yay!! zooropa rules!!!" thread and bash the album. and yes, don't go in a "yay!! all that you can't leave behind rules!!!" thread and bash the album.

KhanadaRhodes said:

I don't think U2girl was being hypocritical, she was trying to point out the hypocrisy of those who become furious and flame when anyone speaks negatively of Pop, yet turn right around and bash ATYCLB!

U2Kitten said:
I don't think U2girl was being hypocritical, she was trying to point out the hypocrisy of those who become furious and flame when anyone speaks negatively of Pop, yet turn right around and bash ATYCLB!
given the whole point of this thread was for us who don't like atyclb to discuss why and stuff, i think it is a bit hypocritical.

if the people who like the album want to discuss it, why not create a thread for it instead of hijacking this one?

KhanadaRhodes said:

haha. i knew that would piss someone off.
haha, next time you feel like intentionally piss people off don't do it over here at the forum

(goes for everyone btw)

Diemen said:

I think everyone here needs to calm down and realize that people are entitled to their own opinions. Yeah, one person's opinion might piss you off, but could we lay off the bash-fest? I happen to like ATYCLB a lot. I also happen to like Pop a lot. I'm sick of hearing of this whole ATYCLB/Pop rift as if you can only like one of the two (although at the start of this thread that wasn't the vibe, but it's definitely turned into that now).

And just as an outside observer in this thread, yes, some of the more vocal Pop fans make it seem like it's a crime not to like Pop, just as some of the more vocal ATYCLB fans make it seem like it's a crime not to like ATYCLB. Calm down people. :)

I agree. These are just opinions! I don't think we need to go to war over Album X's merits or lack thereof. Let's face it, when you've got a band who are versatile as heck, and not afraid to fall on their faces by trying new things, chances are that Fan X isn't going to like at least one of the albums. Fan Z, on the other hand, may indeed like all of the albums. But this certainly isn't necessary for a U2 fan, because of what I just said! Some honestly will think "oh, they fell on their face there". What the hell? What's wrong with this? Let's do calm down. I don't exactly think this is the Controversy From Hell.

ATYCLB is my favourite U2 album, but I'm Ok with other people not liking it. I mean, I don't like WAR much, but I'm sure it's many people's favourite U2 album, so who am I to argue? :)

I'm a bit puzzled by some fans' feelings about POP, in that they seem to enjoy the fact that it's an overlooked album they can exclusively love while at the same time complaining that it doesn't get enough acclaim from the mainstream.

Personally I think that the reason POP got so much bashing is simply because U2 really shot themselves in the foot with that album, by:

a) not taking enough time to finish it properly
b) going on tour without letting the songs sink into public consciousness and not rehearsed enough
c) releasing Discotheque as a first single which made people believe that POP was a dance album when it really wasn't
d) coming up with the visual identity that many people thought was too freaky and garish

Of course, even if they -did- do everything right and proper, that wouldn't be a guarantee of success either, because, as William Goldman's saying goes, "Nobody knows anything". It all happens in the right place at the right time. Of course, had POP sold 15 million copies, I bet there'd be an army of fans moaning about how U2 sold out by jumping onto a dance bandwagon in order to be popular or something like that.

Saracene said:
I bet there'd be an army of fans moaning about how U2 sold out by jumping onto a dance bandwagon in order to be popular or something like that.
I feel that is the main reason why the album didn't do as well as it could have (+ not spending enough time of finishing it)

KhanadaRhodes said:

god forbid us fans would like real music.

AHEM...

this thread was not about stating reasons for not liking ATYCLB - it started as a quote of an article about a guy being robbed. And from page 1, both "for" and "against" ATYCLB comments were made randomly .

So don't start with hijacking accusations where they don't apply.

Real music ? Now what would that be?
Gee, and there i was thinking U2 were always serious with their music. :rolleyes:

Yes any album gets backlash (except maybe JT or AB), but i think that ATYCLB is too harshly picked upon while Pop is this "untouchable" work of art and no one gets away with any critisism of it.

Last edited:
Saracene said:
Personally I think that the reason POP got so much bashing is simply because U2 really shot themselves in the foot with that album, by:

a) not taking enough time to finish it properly
b) going on tour without letting the songs sink into public consciousness and not rehearsed enough
c) releasing Discotheque as a first single which made people believe that POP was a dance album when it really wasn't
d) coming up with the visual identity that many people thought was too freaky and garish

i agree. while i think it is a great album, i will by no means ever think it's perfect. it may be a good thing that they may release a remix of pop. it may become the pop that could've been: if they'd had an extra couple months. the only bad thing is us fans who saw them towards the beginning of the first leg of popmart didn't get to experience how awesome popmart was. i saw them two months after the album was released and it didn't seem as tight as it did during the mexico city concert.

having bought the album right after it came out, i must admit that i didn't even know a lot of the words to the songs when they came here. again, had they waited more, the concert wouldn't have been as bad as critics thought it was. i won't touch on the other points since i can't really think of anything else to add to it.

U2girl said:
Yes any album gets backlash (except maybe JT or AB), but i think that ATYCLB is too harshly picked upon while Pop is this "untouchable" work of art and no one gets away with any critisism of it.

true, just about every album someone on here doesn't like. but as i said before, i don't think pop is anything close to a perfect album. i can't speak for any other pop fans, because heck, there might be some people on here who think it is the most perfect album ever created.

however, regardless, it isn't fair for fans of atyclb who don't like pop to get revenge or anything just because of this. again, i can't speak for anyone else on this forum because i do think everyone's entitled to their own opinions where U2 is concerned. they've made so many albums that can be fit into so many genres that everyone will favour different albums over the others. if everyone on here rated all their albums from best to worst, i'm sure we'd see every possible combination.

Back
Top Bottom