ATYCLB = over-rated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saracene said:
Michael, I went and looked -everywhere- on my AB album, but nowhere did I find a sticker which said, "contains the Best Song U2 Ever Recorded", :)

BTW, how about Gone being squeezed in between Miss Sarajevo & Kite in your official sequence of best U2 songs?

I'm surprised some people actually consider Gone among U2's best. Even U2 did not think so - at least for the POP version of Gone. But their remixed version of Gone was good enough to be among the best of the 90's decade, but it's a far cry from most of Bono's better songs in the 80's. Gone is nothing more than a parody of the October-era U2, all full of that Catholic guilt. But if you think about it, the 90's was the irony-parody era of U2 so some of their songs are actually funny if you slide down the surface of things.

Cheers,

J

Gone is one of U2's top 3 tunes, along w/ Acrobat and Kite. And don't confuse the band not liking versions with not liking songs, they are 2 completely different things.

Don't forget to add IMO to your statement Mr. Brau! :) IMO the 3 best TUNES are The Unforgettable Fire, Red Hill Mining Town, and Ultraviolet. Beautiful Day is pretty good too.

Top SONGS? That's a harder one. I couldn't even attempt. They're probably Streets, NYD and One. That's not my opinion, but the world's. Those are the ones I hear on the radio all the time.

U2Kitten said:
They're probably Streets, NYD and One. That's not my opinion, but the world's. Those are the ones I hear on the radio all the time.
On the radio here, I hear 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' more than NYD, 'With or Without You' more than 'One', and 'I Still Haven't Found' more than 'Streets'. So, it's probably not the world's opinion, as you say.

for an album that is apparently "over rated"
it does get shit on quite often

to me ATYCLB (as do my other U2 faves: Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa) sounds as an album where the band achieved to produce the album they had in their heads

I don't care what style and/or form music comes in
quality = quality = quality

jick said:

Achtung Baby is actually a good sequel to the success of Joshua Tree (R&H wasn't a sequel, it was a spin-off). But just like in the movies, the sequels don't quite measure up. Achtung Baby would never had been as successful had U2 flopped with Joshua Tree. A lot of Achtung's success was because of the popularity U2 got from Joshua Tree, kinda like how ATYCLB's being overrated was simply because it followed the POP ("flop") album. But I don't want to take anything away from Achtung Baby, it is indeed a very very good effort by U2 to attemp to emulate the Joshua Tree's success using a different formula (do any of you notice how different AB and JT sound?).

How exactly is Achtung Baby a sequel? You said yourself it's a totally different sound and "formula". If it were a sequel, it would have the same sound and formula. Further, you say Achtung Baby would not have had the success it did without The Joshua Tree's success. That's debatable. Many, and I mean *many* long time U2 fans hated Achtung Baby and thought the band sold out because of it. They longed for the Joshua Tree sound, and vowed not to buy Achtung Baby after hearing 'The Fly'. Conversely, U2 picked up an entirely new fan base with Achtung Baby. My sister, who was 12 years old at the time, and who had only vaguely heard of U2, saw the video for 'Mysterious Ways', and asked for the album for Christmas. Once again, there were *many* cases like hers. Even Bono himself said the reason they released The Best Of 1980-90 was because, in his words, "Many people didn't become a fan until Achtung Baby, and it would be nice to introduce them to our 80s music."

Achtung Baby didn't rely on The Joshua Tree for its success. If anything, it defied The Joshua Tree for its success.
One is surely among U2's better songs, no question about that.
Yet they managed to write it at a time when they could not have written such a song, given they were, as you said, "below the "high standard of excellence U2 had set (but never equaled) back in 1987".

Last edited:
jick said:
I agree. ATYCLB is ove . People just thought it was great because it came after such a poor effort which was POP. So ANY album that would come after POP would be hailed as genius, as the redeemer, as the one that lifted them up from off the pits and into the miry clay.

All U2 has to do is make a shit album, then whatever album will come after that will be hailed as genius. What made ATYCLB great was the timing of the release. It saved U2's greatly tarnished image.

But at the end of it all, it doesn't rank up there with U2 only real masterpiece, The Joshua Tree. Then again, no other U2 album does measure up to that high standard of excellence U2 had set (but never equalled) back in 1987.

Cheers,

J

As much as most of you here would deny it, that's probably not far from the truth :up:

LOL@ Salome. Good post. True too.

Jick, isn't it the other way around? That R&H was the sequel to JT - what with its continued influence from US music - and that AB was a total spin-off to all of U2's previous work?

Besides lots of 80's fans hated AB (I thought both JT and AB were considered masterpieces?) - just like a lot of 90's fans seem to hate ATYCLB. What did their success have to do with anything, then? When a good album comes along people recognise it no matter what happened earlier, and in both times U2 managed to get new fans.

Having said that, when you reach a certain status it helps selling your albums.

Last edited:
wavesofregret said:

As much as most of you here would deny it, that's probably not far from the truth :up:

LOL@ Salome. Good post. True too.

Actually, it's far from the truth, in fact it's false. JT is not their only masterpiece, AB is actually better. U2 have yet to make a "shit" album, just one's that aren't as good as others. Oh, and JT is over-rated.

I wish The Joshua Tree didn't have to take the backlash it gets from all the people who believe Achtung Baby (or whatever other album) is their best. Why can't we all enjoy each album for what it is, I say! As for The Joshua Tree, I don't think an album that good can be over-rated. And by "over-rated", what do we mean exactly? Over-rated by whom? By the masses? By Joe Shmow music critic? Is it not possible for an album to be praised by everyone and their pet dog, Scruffles, and still be worthy of such praise? I've noticed a definite kind of human natured pull back reaction when anything succeeds, and that goes for U2 albums, too. It's as though success ignites people to find ways of balancing it out by criticism. It's an interesting question to ponder though.

JT is the "whipping post" in terms of over-rated U2 records cause it's thier most popular and best selling album. That's the only reason. Most AB fans enjoy JT. But you'll find boat loads of people who say U2 got "too weird" and "sucked" after JT.

As for myself, knowing their new music is better than their old, leads one to see JT as "over-rated."

Michael Griffiths said:

On the radio here, I hear 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' more than NYD, 'With or Without You' more than 'One', and 'I Still Haven't Found' more than 'Streets'. So, it's probably not the world's opinion, as you say.

Yeah well, those too. Same general idea. The 'world' seems to prefer the big hits of War and JT and regard them as the band's best effort.

Last edited:
JT has sold way too much and earned way too many accolades to be 'overrated.' It is honestly good, time has told and will continue to tell. I bet in 100 years it will be regarded as one of the best ever. It has become a 'whipping post' because maybe fans of less popular albums are jealous of it like we all get jealous of the rich kid who always wins. But I don't because I like it and I'm rooting for it. As fans we should all be PROUD:wink:

Sorry, didn't notice the thread had been hijacked by food. It's for the best anyway.

Dark chocolate Hershey bars smooshed up in vanilla bean ice cream :tongue:

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Why can't we all enjoy each album for what it is, I say! As for The Joshua Tree, I don't think an album that good can be over-rated.
It's as though success ignites people to find ways of balancing it out by criticism. It's an interesting question to ponder though.

Well said Michael Griffiths:up:

Last edited:
Enjoy Each album for what it is indeed! Like flavours of Crisps!...

Salt and Vinegar vs Cheese and Onion

Joshua Tree Vs Achtung Baby :shrug:

I like JT and AB :heart:

rattle.jpg

abbandsexy.jpg

Last edited:
I think the simple fact that it almost always boils down to which album (JT vs AB) is THE U2 "masterpiece" qualifies them both as masterpieces.

I listen to JT when it's sunny outside and AB when it's rainy or snowy.

I love them both.

Oh, and ATYCLB sucks compared to both of them!
:wave:

One Tree Still said:
I think the simple fact that it almost always boils down to which album (JT vs AB) is THE U2 "masterpiece" qualifies them both as masterpieces.

IMO the only thing it indicates is that masterpieces are created when enough people agree about whether this or that album is a masterpiece. The quality of the album itself matters, of course, but so do myriads of other factors that have nothing to do with the music, like being in the right place at the right time, the artistic/commercial heat the artist has, etc.. There are countless great albums out there which for whatever reasons stay completely unacknowledged.

I think that AB has much stronger individual songs, and it doesn't have stinkers like "Exit". And, for an album of its reputation, JT has surprisingly sloppy production mistakes. But JT has this magic overworldly feeling about it that somehow lifts even its less than stellar songs; whereas AB's weaker moments are pretty ordinary in comparison.

Last edited:
Saracene said:

IMO the only thing it indicates is that masterpieces are created when enough people agree about whether this or that album is a masterpiece. The quality of the album itself matters, of course, but so do myriads of other factors that have nothing to do with the music, like being in the right place at the right time, the artistic/commercial heat the artist has, etc.. There are countless great albums out there which for whatever reasons stay completely unacknowledged.
Exacty, just look at Pink Moon by Nick Drake -- quite easily one of the best albums of all time, an absolute masterpiece, but only now (since that album's title track got used in a VW commercial) do people even know about him. It's tragic that amazing music goes so unnoticed.

I think that AB has much stronger individual songs, and it doesn't have stinkers like "Exit". And, for an album of its reputation, JT has surprisingly sloppy production mistakes. But JT has this magic overworldly feeling about it that somehow lifts even its less than stellar songs; whereas AB's weaker moments are pretty ordinary in comparison.
This is also really a matter of opinion. IMO, it's the reverse: JT has the better individual songs, while Achtung Baby is the more cohesive album.

Here's my top 10 U2 songs of all time (these are the sacred songs, not the ones I listen to all the time necessarily):

1. One
2. Where the Streets Have no Name
3. Bad
4. With or Without You
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Running To Stand Still
7. Pride (In the Name of Love)
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. All I Want Is You
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday

As you can see, 4 of the top 6 are all from the JT, where as only 1 from Achtung Baby is even in my top 10. If you want to compare individual songs from JT and Achtung Baby, the same results hold true. 'Bullet the Blue Sky' and 'One Tree Hill' are better, to my ears, than anything on Achtung Baby short of 'One'. I'll go so far as to say the only tracks on Achtung Baby that reach the level of any of JT's best 6 songs are 'One', and *maybe* 'Until The End of the World' (the next best would be 'Mysterious Ways'). The other 5 songs on JT are as good, for the most part, as the rest of Achtung Baby, IMO, with the exception of 'Trip Through Your Wires'. I think 'Exit' is a great song, and is comparable to 'Acrobat' in terms of overall quality.

End of rant! :wink:

Last edited:
Fair enough, Michael. I guess I'd be more inclined to JT's individual songs if I Still Haven't Found... & WOWY weren't overplayed to the point where I'm just completely numb to them even if I recognise their value as classics.

YES ATYCLB is very over-rated.

the music is not moving forward and is quite boring snoorrrrrrrrrrrrr.
i like kite. stuck in a moment is good live, elevation is u2,s worst song ever.
atuclb is a sweet album which makes me want- to puke.

lets see if thay can focus on real(rock&roll) music next time.
realy, listen to the songs they spent 3 years for this?
i think it was a waste of time.

:shrug:

The Joshua Tree is my favorite album-all its praise is well-deserved, I think. Achtung Baby comes in second.

The thing is, with every one of their albums, regardless of where they rank with me, there's always something about them that I like, something that each individual album has in it that makes it cool. Hence why I don't have a least favorite album. I have my top 5 favorites, and then the rest are just kinda there, in no particular order...they all have something about them that I like.

And U2Kitten-great pictures. :).

Angela

Interesting question - which album has the better individual songs - one I haven't really thought about.

Here's how I would rank each song from both albums - based on overall quality of writing, creativity, chills-factor, timelessness and uniqueness.

1. One - AB - U2's best songwriting to date, period. Timeless.

2. With or Without You - JT - Overplayed for a reason. Well written, timeless, haunting. Bono's best vocal performance (studio)

3. Streets - JT - As uplifting as any song can be. Great sound, Edge's delay working overtime to define the U2 "sound" of the late 80s. Chills galore.

4. Mysterious Ways - AB - Amazing songwriting. Gutsy sound.
5. One Tree Hill - JT - Would have been a top 10 single. Great song, my personal fave overall.
6. Until the End of the World - AB
7. The Fly - AB
8. I Still Haven't Found - JT
9. Ultraviolet - AB
10. Running to Stand - JT
11. In God's Country - JT
12. Acrobat - AB
13. Zoo Station - AB
14. Red Hill Mining Town - JT
15. Bullet the Blue Sky - JT
16. Tryin To Throw - AB
17. Mothers of the Disappeared - JT