ATYCLB – I Like It!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jick said:

Picking straws aren't we huh? I just summarized the gist of what he said but I added a link to the full article nevertheless so that everyone can read the article in full.

I don't see the point in posting everything word for word when I put a link to the article. It seems you are a new member here in Interference with 66 posts and having joined only 2 months ago.
I have been here for over 2 years and have learned never to underestimate the intelligence of the Interference people. This is a forum of opinionated intelligent U2 fans, and when you post them a link they will all read it.

If my intention was dishonesty then I wouldn't have had posted the link. Failure to quote the article in full does not constitute laziness for me when I already posted a link.

Anyway, I can't blame you for the outrage. Your relative inexperience still has you on the learning stage to the ins and outs of this forum. Give yourself a few more months and you will feel very at home in this forum, just like I have over the past two years.

Cheers,

J

J, I don't want to get into a personal discussion, but you're trolling again, specifically for me. While I may be new to Interference, YOU KNOW I've been a member of Wire for years (since 1995, to be exact), as we've had numerous discussions through that list in the past. You've stopped posting on Wire, perhaps because too many people had seen through your baiting tactics by that point. The format is different here but we're talking about the same things. There's no reason for some kind of condescending remark about me getting used to the system.

Back to the topic, the point is that Bono was making an UNFAVORABLE comparison of ATYCLB to The Bomb (and JT, and AB), and you quoted him in a way that made it seem like he was praising it more. That's deceptive. Since you claim to be neither lazy nor dishonest, let's just say you're disingenuous.

You claim to have a law degree, so perhaps people here forgive you for sleazy courtroom-type tactics, as it might be part of your job.

laz

Well, all U2 albums would look unfavorable compared to JT and AB.

It would be more accurate, and more fair, to compare an album to its predecessor. There, ATYCLB has nothing to fear.

jick said:

You arguing against ATYCLB based on what Bono's said in the context of U2's ultimate albums, JT and AB only ("best collection of songs" but the whole not being greater than the sum of the parts) while you are arguing for POP based on what U2 never said (just because U2 never expressed regret on the POP compositions and failure to form a unified whole). Now that is what I call a real stretch....

Cheers,

J

A fair comment, but I was clear that I was biased for POP. Also, I never claimed that POP was one of their "all-time" classics. My point was that Bono said the sum of the parts was greater than the whole with ATYCLB, and the problems with POP were more song-oriented in terms of polishing them to perfection. Therefore, it can be surmised that POP may be the opposite--the whole being better than the sum of its unfinished parts. By the standards Bono seems to be going by, it's not a stretch to call POP a better "album", and to think Bono may agree with that statement. It's a fairly logical deduction. I think the songs on The Unforgettable Fire are pretty damned weak but as an album I think it's quite an achievement.

Unlike Bono's clear preference for JT, AB, and HTDAAB over ATYCLB as ALBUMS, it's unlikely we'll know his true feelings in regards to POP's album status short of asking him. There's nothing conclusive that we have to go on. What we do know is that POP was more ambitious as an album, ATYCLB was more ambitious in regards to its compositions. Both have shortcomings from the viewpoint of the band members.

laz

Pero said:
When you look real close, Elevation is great concert opener!!! and Beautiful Day and Walk On are great concert enders. That is something you don't find on other albums

I agree on that, but not on any other album? Love is Blindness is still the best concert ender for me, by far. Edge's best solo ever in my humble opinion.

U2girl said:
Well, all U2 albums would look unfavorable compared to JT and AB.

It would be more accurate, and more fair, to compare an album to its predecessor. There, ATYCLB has nothing to fear.

yes, since atyclb was the safest, blandest album to come out in the history of u2?

there was a winnipeg writer who perfectly summed up that effort...can't remember how they said it exactly...something to the effect of "htdaab at least doesn't sound like it's been market-tested, case-studied, and tampered by radio-execs".

no, believe it or not, i'm not here to trash atyclb. it's just that this comment needed a response. :wink:

This has probably been said many times before, but you have to look at U2 albums in isolation from their others. Compared to other U2, albums like ATYCLB and October may seem a bit mediocre for U2...but if these albums had been released by any other band, they would be considered very strong efforts.

U2 is not capable of releasing a crappy album IMO. Some just stand out more than others. Even Rattle and Hum...arguably U2's most maligned album....has its own charm if you give it half a chance.

u2 albums work in trilogys. its pretty dam obvious,lol ATYCLB couldn;t sound any other way. it was time to end the 90's sound. every 3 albums sound or evolove from the each other till they make a new trilogy with a new direction. of course ATYCLB is safe, going further in the direction of pop would have resulted a bad album. i love pop, but i didn;t want another one after that. now, HTDAAB is evolveing from ATYCLB. it sounds alike but is different. ATYCLB sounded a bit like UF at times, HTDAAB sounds like ATYCLB but dosn't sound like UF.

I have tried hard to love ATYCLB ( Not more than a few days ago, i played the entire album once more ). But only a few songs do it for me.. And my pick for the all time worst U2 song is on ATYCLB, which is New York..

Well can´t love all their albums equally,,

Here is my list of U2 albums...in terms of greatness, I dont think U2 has ever released an album I dont really love though but here it goes....

Outstanding (3 Classics)
Achtung Baby
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Joshua Tree

Great (Must Have)
All That You Cant Leave Behind
POP
Unforgetable Fire
Zooropa

Above Average
War
Rattle And Hum

Average
Boy
October

Average by U2 standards beats about 98 percent of the other music out there though.

Zoomerang96 said:

yes, since atyclb was the safest, blandest album to come out in the history of u2?

there was a winnipeg writer who perfectly summed up that effort...can't remember how they said it exactly...something to the effect of "htdaab at least doesn't sound like it's been market-tested, case-studied, and tampered by radio-execs".

no, believe it or not, i'm not here to trash atyclb. it's just that this comment needed a response. :wink:

No, because ATYCLB has better songs. It has nothing to do with it being safe (though any U2 album after POP would get that label from 90's worshippers), but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

ATYCLB was simply U2 responding to the rise of pop on the radio, just as POP was their response to the rise of dance/techno music in the mid-90's.

Lol, yes, U2's music is sooo un-radio like.

Songs like Pride, New Year's Day, WOWY, I still haven't found, Streets, One, MW, Even better..., Who's gonna ride, Discotheque, Staring at the sun - no radio station would EVER play those.
(Rememeber Bono thanked US college radio when they won the Grammy for Joshua Tree)

You always trash ATYCLB, so why should it stop now?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
No, because ATYCLB has better songs. It has nothing to do with it being safe (though any U2 album after POP would get that label from 90's worshippers), but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

I can see what makes YOU feel better...
Do you know you have a problem?

ATYCLB was simply U2 responding to the rise of pop on the radio, just as POP was their response to the rise of dance/techno music in the mid-90's.

I wonder were exactly is this "dance/techno" on Pop?
There's not... there are some "trip-hop" (it was called like that in 96/97) elements... wich is basicly more drums and some "electronic efects" (BTW you can find more of them on ATYCanLB-Eno and on HTDAAB-Jacknife Lee than on Pop)

Lol, yes, U2's music is sooo un-radio like.

Songs like Pride, New Year's Day, WOWY, I still haven't found, Streets, One, MW, Even better..., Who's gonna ride, Discotheque, Staring at the sun - no radio station would EVER play those.
(Rememeber Bono thanked US college radio when they won the Grammy for Joshua Tree)

The diference is... U2 did those songs, they did what they wanted to make at the moment and the songs became "radio-friendly" by accident changing/re-defining the musical scene...
What we have on ATYCanLB is U2 wanting to make a radio-friendly songs making them similar and as "easy" as everything else on the radio...

Last edited:
If you are the type who listens to songs and not to albums as a whole, then according to Bono ATYCLB has their "best collection of songs." I also think I belong to that category since I hardly have time to listen to albums non-stop from start to finish. I usually repeat favorite tracks and skip a couple of tracks that don't fancy me.

If you are the type who listens to albums as one cohesive non-stop listen without skipping songs, then ATYCLB doesn't quite get there to achieve the certain album feel. Song by song it is U2's best according to Bono, but as a complete unified piece of work it fails (also according to Bono).

Some albums just don't have standout tracks but standout when listened to as a whole (such as Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd) whereas others have standout tracks but don't quite draw and overall picture (ATYCLB is like that).

I'd take standout tracks anyday since I prefer not to listen to albums as a whole. So it is really your call. Nevertheless, ATYCLB is definitely a very likeable U2 album that appeals to the broadest fanbase. HTDAAB is right under it's nose though and continuing to grow. So only time will tell.

Cheers,

J

ATYCLB was U2 taking a step back and realizing where they were in that time and if ATYCLB is considered a "SAFE" album then so be it. That would make it U2's first safe album and that in itself makes it a unique album in U2's history. However now U2 have created HTDAAB which of course is another safe album and by doing so have created an album that (of course maybe selling very well) is not unique and is in many ways uninteresting in the realm of U2.

There is no such thing as "safe" if you are a pop band.

Now if U2 were truly an alternative band like The Cure, etc. then it would be possible to accuse them of making safe music. U2 has always made pop music designed for the biggest audience and the biggest market share. And U2 have been pretty successful over the past 25 years.

Just like to note that U2 did win a Grammy for best alternative album for Zooropa (their only alternative album).

Cheers,

J

bathiu said:

I can see what makes YOU feel better...
Do you know you have a problem?

I wonder were exactly is this "dance/techno" on Pop?
There's not... there are some "trip-hop" (it was called like that in 96/97) elements... wich is basicly more drums and some "electronic efects" (BTW you can find more of them on ATYCanLB-Eno and on HTDAAB-Jacknife Lee than on Pop)

The diference is... U2 did those songs, they did what they wanted to make at the moment and the songs became "radio-friendly" by accident changing/re-defining the musical scene...
What we have on ATYCanLB is U2 wanting to make a radio-friendly songs making them similar and as "easy" as everything else on the radio...

I don't have a problem, but it appears those who entered in a pro-ATYCLB thread to pick on the album do have a problem. You write the name of the album ATYCanLB, that's an even bigger problem.

Discotheque, Do you feel loved and Mofo are all heavily influenced by techno.
Playboy mansion is closer to trip-hop, and Miami.
:lol: ATYCLB and HTDAAB sound like live recordings compared to Pop.

U2 always makes songs they want to, it is ridicoulus to think they ever have any specific intentions of making songs to fit them on the radio.
But since they stick to the chorus-verse formula and have big choruses and are very melodic, of course their music ends up on the radio. Their music has radio-friendly written all over it.
U2 often admitted they want to be a part of the mainstream (Bono in 1982 "we want to push out the pop music in the charts because I do think we're better", remember Bono's "this has been a big year for U2, no.1 album in the charts" speech on the Joshua Tree tour, "competing with pop" comment by Larry in 2000, Larry and Adam saying there weren't enough hit singles candidates on HTDAAB in October 2003 when Bono and Edge thought they had an album), it wasn't some agenda that started with ATYCLB.

Last edited:
U2girl,,

Its funny how everytime there have been a pro-Pop Thread. Then all the ATYCLB lovers, have come crawling to pick on Pop. This is the same deal, and its just as annoying to the 90´s worshippers as it is to the 2000+ worshippers...

BTW, worshippers ????,, Lame

Last edited:
No, any time a pro-POP thread is made, POP lovers make sure it includes something negative about ATYCLB. They even make their way in ATYCLB support threads like this one.

Yes, I say worshippers, because of the alleged "90's U2 is the be all and end all" and even more so alleged "POP was the best U2 album ever" attitude.

yimou said:
U2girl,,

Its funny how everytime there have been a pro-Pop Thread. Then all the ATYCLB lovers, have come crawling to pick on Pop. This is the same deal, and its just as annoying to the 90´s worshippers as it is to the 2000+ worshippers...

BTW, worshippers ????,, Lame

Don't worry about this vocal minority, we have a decade to celebrate those Britney-lovers have a year 2000 and nothing more... because I dare anyone to say that HTDAAB is the same/close to ATYCanLB, people that think that way need a serious, long psychiatric treatment.

Now, lets have a look at our U2girl, everytime someone will say alittle truth about ATYCanLB she's attacking Pop...
Now, I'm asking who's starting a fight and who's trolling?

U2girl said:
No, any time a pro-POP thread is made, POP lovers make sure it includes something negative about ATYCLB. They even make their way in ATYCLB support threads like this one.

Yes, I say worshippers, because of the alleged "90's U2 is the be all and end all" and even more so alleged "POP was the best U2 album ever" attitude.

Links and/or at least quotes of people that said Pop is the best album of U2!

...and that's the whole YOU, in here... someone will say "I don't think ATYCanLB is good" and you're all over Pop... always! Shame and lame!

bathiu said:

Don't worry about this vocal minority, we have a decade to celebrate those Britney-lovers have a year 2000 and nothing more... because I dare anyone to say that HTDAAB is the same/close to ATYCanLB, people that think that way need a serious, long psychiatric treatment.

Now, lets have a look at our U2girl, everytime someone will say alittle truth about ATYCanLB she's attacking Pop...
Now, I'm asking who's starting a fight and who's trolling?

Links and/or at least quotes of people that said Pop is the best album of U2!

...and that's the whole YOU, in here... someone will say "I don't think ATYCanLB is good" and you're all over Pop... always! Shame and lame!

MOM!!!!! U2 Girl is touching me ...... are we there yet ....

So much whining about something that is ultimately inconsequential....

Read carefully when you reply to posts, bathiu.

1) Lazarus was the first one to bring out POP in this thread, not me.

2) I mentioned POP because it was suggested that ATYCLB was deliberately written for the radio/pop mainstream. ATYCLB was simply U2's response to pop, no less than it was POP their response to techno, or AB to the Manchester scene.

3) Everytime ATYCLB is mentioned, there is always someone praising POP and putting ATYCLB down. See, it's the other way around from your claims.
Not just that, POP gets praised even when HTDAAB is being discussed, two albums and 7 years later! Time to let go.

4) There have been POP is the best album claims over the years, just read the forum and you'll see them.

5) :lol: It's not "I don't think ATYCLB is good" but far less constructive and more negative and you know it.

Oh and your little ATYCanLB spelling shows who has the real problem here very nicely.

ps: Please quotes and names of who you mean by "vocal minority, Britney lovers".
Majority here still likes ATYCLB, young fans and old fans alike. Lots of older fans even came back to U2 after it came out.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

2) I mentioned POP because it was suggested that ATYCLB was deliberately written for the radio/pop mainstream. ATYCLB was simply U2's response to pop, no less than it was POP their response to techno, or AB to the Manchester scene.

3) Everytime ATYCLB is mentioned, there is always someone attacking POP. See, it's the other way around from your claims.
Not just that, ATYCLB gets bashed even when HTDAAB is being discussed, two albums and 7 years later!

4) There have been POP is the best album claims over the years, just read the forum and you'll see them.

5) :lol: It's not "I don't think ATYCLB is good" but far less constructive and more negative and you know it.

Oh and your little ATYCanLB spelling shows who has the real problem here very nicely.

WHO CARES?!?!

U2_Girl, since I have been here you are often in the middle of these argument/threads. Have you ever stopped to consider that you might be part of the problem and not part of the solution?

Apparently bathiu does, since he started this totally unprovoked on the previous page, jumping on my reply to Zoomerang96.

Last edited:
U2girl,,, I think its cool that you have your opinions about Pop and ATYCLB and every other U2 album for that sake. I even respect them,,

I just got to tell you once again, that it IS the same deal when it comes to POP.... It dosn´t take long for some Pop hater to spoil a Pop thread.. Thats just the way it is,, for US ALL..

This thread should have nothing to do with POP. It is just all about ATYCLB.

It is all about the beauty of ATYCLB.

Some say ATYCLB is too profound for some U2 fans to understand that is why they hate it. But these things don't lie:

U2 Fans: 4 million in the USA, 11 million worldwide bought ATYCLB.

Critics: ATYCLB produced a number of Grammies - 2 records of the year, 1 song of the year; 4 songs from the album won a Grammy and even the album won best rock album. Even Rolling Stone mag named it U2's third masterpiece (after JT and AB).

U2 themselves: Bono labelled ATYCLB as their "best collection of songs". He said best, it is absolute. He didn't say "among the best" or "one of the best" but simple best. On the Time Magazine writeup on HTDAAB, Clayton implied that "Beautiful Day" was their benchmark to see if they had enough hits for the new album.

So on all three fronts, ATYCLB was a huge success. Even from a tragedy perspective, ATYCLB provided healing to the hurt. Even from an influential perspective, when Bono declared ATYCLB would take on the boybands and girlgroups (who could forget his quote "who are Steps?") he really killed them. There aren't as many boybands and girlgroups out now dominating the charts like they did back in 2000-2001. Instead, we are seeing a wave of real bands playing instruments by hand like Jet, Killers, Darkness, and Franz Ferdinand. ATYCLB also re-established U2 as the best band in the world.

ATYCLB changed the landscape of pop music. It is an iconic album for this generation. It showed that even if you are aging popstars, as long as you write great music you will always compete with and beat the youngsters. ATYCLB showed that 40 year olds could play on TRL and be hip with that crowd.

ATYCLB was a success artistically, commercially, influentially, and emotionally. So to the original threadstarted, if you like ATYCLB then its a mutual thing. I like ATYCLB too.

Cheers,

J

I love this album. Kite is so incredible. From beginning to end, it is simply beautiful.
Whenever I am in a bad mood, I always try to listen to Grace. It is such a soothing song and makes me feel calm and puts all my worries away.
I could play Beautiful Day over and over and not get tired of that song.

This thread should have nothing to do with POP. It is just all about ATYCLB.

It is all about the beauty of ATYCLB.

:yikes: :crack:

U2 Fans: 4 million in the USA, 11 million worldwide bought ATYCLB.

It's actualy funny that you're naming/calling 3 mlns of people that bought the album by accident and/or without any better reason than when they're buing a Britney-type-album... "U2 Fans"... :tsk:

ATYCLB was a success artistically, commercially, influentially, and emotionally.

Yeah:rolleyes: Stuck, Wild Honey, POE, Grace, New York, Elevation are so "artisticaly, influentially and emotionally" succesful:laugh:
...oh look, half of the album went down the toilet...

:|...but yes, a success commercially, I agree...

bathiu said:

:yikes: :crack:

It's actualy funny that you're naming/calling 3 mlns of people that bought the album by accident and/or without any better reason than when they're buing a Britney-type-album... "U2 Fans"... :tsk:

Yeah:rolleyes: Stuck, Wild Honey, POE, Grace, New York, Elevation are so "artisticaly, influentially and emotionally" succesful:laugh:
...oh look, half of the album went down the toilet...

:|...but yes, a success commercially, I agree...

This argument is so weak (read "pathetic") it makes me sad that it is even thrown out there.

U2girl said:

Actually, U2Gurl, it was NOT me who poisoned the well by bringing up POP. I try not to introduce argrumentative stuff unless it is in defense. J was the first to mention POP when he quoted and linked to that article, then said:

>>And it was also Bono who said that POP was "unfinished." So while many would disagree with Bono's musical tastes (which can get quite eccentric at times) - even in his own assesment of their own work - I do agree with Bono.

So I believe the first shots were fired from your camp. Furthermore, I didn't let out a bunch of thoughtless bashing agasint ATYCLB. All I said was that it worked more as a collection of good songs than an album, something Bono agreed with.

This is getting old quickly.

laz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom