ATYCLB Double Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
How about an ATYCLB Double Album? A.) With a few different versions for a change of pace / a breath of fresh air? B.) With the precursor, predictor, indicator songs – Sweetest Thing and Don’t Take Your Guns? (We shouldn’t have been too surprised with ATYCLB since Bono and Eno early on were talking about creating songs filled with “joy.” And the famous line from Larry after Pop: “We should actually make a pop (music) album next time.” Ignore the lyrics of Don’t Take Your Guns. It’s dripping with sunshine – oozing with joy.) C.) With the B-Sides and the songs slated for it i.e., Ground Beneath and Stateless? D.) With it based on the original track order.

I think Stateless and Falling fit well with the “God section” from track 14 – 18. It’s not a rock album. It’s not experimental album. It’s not a very dark album. It’s not what U2 typically does and it may not be our preference. Yet, it is something different for them and for us. As U2 said in interviews it’s like their go at making one of those early fun pop albums that the Beatles and The Beach Boys made.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider or Biffco?)
3. Walk On (Single version with the Hallelujahs)
4. Stuck in a Moment (J Mix – alternating between album & acoustic versions)
5. Summer Rain
6. Sweetest Thing (1998 version)
7. Wild Honey
8. Don’t Take Your Guns
9. Kite
10. New York (Nice version from ES single)
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. In A Little While
13. Always
14. Peace on Earth
15. Stateless
16. When I Look At the World
17. Falling At Your Feet
18. Grace

Wow! What an honor for the mix I made to be still remembered after so long. :)

Anyway, ATYCLB was such a brilliant album - even the b-sides were great. If possible, it should be a triple album even. U2 fans just can't get enough of ATYCLB.

Cheers,

J

Hey J – it is a great mix. How about a 256 or a 320 or .wav of it? How about creating a duet mix of Grace between Bono and Nichole Nordeman (her version on the U2 tribute CD – In The Name Of Love (Artists United For Africa)? I haven’t listened to them together so I don’t know if it’s futile idea. One idea that I believe will work with your talent is The J Influx Mix (instrumental) for Vertigo! Using parts of the different Jacknife Lee Mixes. The first one that aired on the BBC had an opening guitar part that sounded familiar to Alex Descends Into Hell. So maybe you could part of it too. Maybe yours will be used to open their concerts next year. Looking forward to your next creation.

this new mix of the album looks very interesting, i might need to try it out in itunes some time. i recently did a similar project with ATYCLB, but kept it within 11 songs. I like this better though. thanks.

Pretty interesting. Actually, I think getting to see what a great album like JT turns into when beefed up with all the B-Sides has prompted us all to make our own Double Versions of other U2 albums... Actually, I've done it with all of them (with the sole exception of October)... my version of ATYCLB is as follows:

1 - Beautiful Day
2 - Summer Rain
3 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
4 - Elevation
5 - Walk On (Hallellujah Mix)
6 - Kite
7 - Stateless
8 - In A Little While
9 - Big Girls Are Best
10 - Wild Honey
11 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12 - Don't Take Your Guns To Town
13 - Peace On Earth
14 - When I Look At The World
15 - New York
16 - Electrical Storm (Band Version)
17 - Always
18 - Grace

Some of the other albums got pretty interesting... "War", for example, has now a few tracks from UABRS and the Clannad intro - it sounds now like an older version of R&H :)

R&H, by the way, is now a "quad" album :)

Krist

No offense, but I can't wait to have something new to talk about (with the release of the new album). These types of subjects are old and boring.

whackjester said:
No offense, but I can't wait to have something new to talk about (with the release of the new album). These types of subjects are old and boring.

Do you feel better now for getting that out?

I did this a while back and made a tape called 'Drive' and it had 20 songs on it. Remember when ATYCLB was going to be called Drive? Just the same as HTDAAB was going to be called Solar I guess.

Anyways, I am trying to figure out which two songs are on my tape but not on your mix, I used, ATYCLB, all B-sides, MDH stuff and the two from the second Best of, that must be it.

It's really more complete with all of the stuff on a mix, seems a little hollow with just the 11 tracks from ATYCLB, several other very good songs not on it. I hope HTDAAB doesn't suffer the same fate.

bsp77 said:

Do you feel better now for getting that out?

Not really, because people will still be talking about things that are seriously old. I think it's fine that people make mix tapes, etc., but is it really worth it to spam a bulletin board about it? It's like U2 diarrhea.......anytime anyone has any thought at all about anything concerning U2, they write it down here. I realize the board is for discussion, but some discussions have past their prime. That being said, bring on the new album so we can dissect its playing order, lyrical meaning, and quality of music. That will fuel the fire on the board for the next four years. :madspit:

Hi Inner El Guapo. Sure. Why not – a double disc double album!

From a purist perspective one may want to leave off the Bono solo material. I’m Not Your Baby is probably more in the Pop period.

Other Songs From The ATYCLB Period

Slide Away (Michael Hutchence & Bono duet. I think it would fit the “story” of the “mid-life crisis” section – so before Electrical Storm)

Time Enough For Tears (Andrea Corr – written by Bono. Excellent song. See the film too)

Blue (Zucchero – English lyrics written by Bono. Excellent song. Worth checking out)

Electrical Storm (Orbit or Band version depending on your preference for the album. I think the Band Version would go well before New York. Setting up why this character is running away to New York

I’m Not Your Baby (U2 & Sinead O’Connor duet - I think it would fit the “story” of this “mid-life crisis” section – so before New York. It has some musical similarities with NY too.)

Daybreak (David Holmes Instrumental version of BD but I find it has little common with BD which is why I renamed it. I think it would go well after New York)

Joy (Mick Jagger & Bono duet – if U2 wrote and recorded it Joy would have had excellent fit on ATYCLB)

Always (I think joy of Always clearly and easily goes well after Joy! So I’ll move it here)

Jumpstart My Heart (a fun little love song by Bono & Lanois from The Making of MDH – after In A Little While)

When The Stars Go Blue (Bono & The Corrs duet – a wonderful love song that I would put after Jumpstart)

Summer Wine (Bono & The Corrs duet)

The Hands That Built America (Soundtrack version – fans report that this version is far superior to the other 2 versions. The Corrs contribute to this one. “It’s early fall, there’s a cloud on the New York skyline. Innocence, dragged across a yellow line.”)

What’s Going On (Bono & Chris Martin duet – all music by Edge & Eno. A 9/11 interpretation before 9/11 happened. It goes well with the horror of the Omagh bombing responded to in Peace On Earth – before POE)

U2Soar said:
Hey J – it is a great mix. How about a 256 or a 320 or .wav of it? How about creating a duet mix of Grace between Bono and Nichole Nordeman (her version on the U2 tribute CD – In The Name Of Love (Artists United For Africa)? I haven’t listened to them together so I don’t know if it’s futile idea. One idea that I believe will work with your talent is The J Influx Mix (instrumental) for Vertigo! Using parts of the different Jacknife Lee Mixes. The first one that aired on the BBC had an opening guitar part that sounded familiar to Alex Descends Into Hell. So maybe you could part of it too. Maybe yours will be used to open their concerts next year. Looking forward to your next creation.

I actually lost the original WAV file of the Stuck I remixed. I only have the mp3. I can probably mix it again from scratch, but I will make it a bit different from the mix I made. After the bridge, it should go straight to a full band chorus, not an acousitc first verse chorus that leads to a full band second part. But that's just me.

Cheers,

J

Hmmmm... this is getting interesting.

For those who want to spend some energy before HTDAAB comes out, here are the double versions I made from the other albums:

Boy (Most of the extra tracks here are early singles and B-Sides from the Boy era. Two tracks, though, seem not to belong here - J Swallow, which I put here because I didn't compile an October double version - and Treasure, which was actually written prior to the Boy album.):

1 - I Will Follow
2 - Twilight
3 - Things To Make And Do
4 - An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
5 - Out Of Control
6 - Touch
7 - Stories For Boys
8 - Boy/Girl
9 - The Ocean
10 - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
11 - J Swallow
12 - A Day Without Me
13 - Another Day
14 - Another Time, Another Place
15 - Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
16 - The Electric Co.
17 - Shadows And Tall Trees

War (The Clannad intro fits here just fine, giving the album a whole new feel. The live tracks from UABRS make it sound like an early Rattle And Hum album - BTW, be sure to insert the necessary fade-ins and fade-outs so it won't sound "broken"):

1 - Theme From Harry's Game (By Clannad)
2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
3 - Seconds (From War Gold Album)
4 - Gloria (Live From UABRS)
5 - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Live From UABRS)
6 - New Year's Day
7 - Like A Song (From War Gold Album)
8 - A Celebration
9 - Drowning Man
10 - Endless Deep
11 - The Refugee
12 - I Threw A Brick From A Window/A Day Without Me (Live From NYD Single)
13 - Two Hearts Beat As One
14 - The Electric Co. (Live From UABRS)
15 - Red Light
16 - Surrender
17 - I Will Follow (Live From UABRS)
18 - Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl
19 - "40"

The Unforgettable Fire (This is the one I enjoy the most. Here I put "The Three Sunrises" as the first track in order to reproduce the feel on the UF single and the Best Of B-Sides disc.)

1 - The Three Sunrises
2 - A Sort Of Homecoming
3 - Pride (In The Name Of Love) (Single Version)
4 - Wire
5 - 60 Seconds In Kingdom Come
6 - The Unforgettable Fire
7 - Love Comes Tumbling (WAIA Version)
8 - Promenade
9 - Bass Trap
10 - 4th Of July (From TUF Gold Disc)
11 - Bad
12 - Indian Summer Sky
13 - Boomerang I
14 - Boomerang II
15 - Elvis Presley And America
16 - MLK

Rattle And Hum (This is where I had a LOT of fun. Being R&H already a double album (vinyl, that is), I decided to make this a double CD album, including B-Sides, tracks from the movie and some other stuff. That said, I think it still makes a lot of sense... BTW, whenever a track appeared in both the album and the movie, I chose the one that seemed more interesting to me):

CD 1

1 - Helter Skelter (From R&H Movie)
2 - Van Diemen's Land
3 - Desire (From R&H Movie)
4 - In God's Country (From R&H Movie)
5 - Everlasting Love
6 - Exit (From R&H Movie)
7 - Hawkmoon 269
8 - All Along The Watchtower
9 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10 - Hallellujah Here She Comes
11 - Maggie's Farm (From Live For Ireland Album)
12 - Freedom For My People/Silver And Gold (From R&H Album)
13 - Angel Of Harlem
14 - Unchained Melody
15 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16 - Love Rescue Me

CD 2

1 - Where The Streets Have No Name (From R&H Movie)
2 - When Love Comes To Town
3 - Running To Stand Still (From R&H Movie)
4 - Dancing Barefoot
5 - Lucille/I Walk The Line/Lost Highway (From Outside's America Documentary)
6 - Heartland
7 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (From R&H Movie)
8 - God Part II
9 - MLK/With Or Without You (From R&H Movie)
10 - Jesus Christ
11 - The Star Spangled Banner
12 - Bullet The Blue Sky
13 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
14 - Bad (From R&H Movie)
15 - A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
16 - All I Want Is You

Achtung Baby:

1 - Zoo Station
2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
3 - Salome
4 - Where Did It All Go Wrong
5 - One
6 - Until The End Of The World
7 - Paint It Black
8 - Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
9 - So Cruel
10 - The Fly
11 - Lady With The Spinning Head (UVI)
12 - Fortunate Son
13 - Mysterious Ways
14 - Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
15 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
16 - Satellite Of Love
17 - Acrobat
18 - Love Is Blindness

Zooropa (This is the one that didn't benefit from the double treatment. The Sinatra track really does not belong here, as well as "Night And Day" and "Alex Descends". However, these two didn't fit on AB :) )

1 - Zooropa
2 - Babyface
3 - Numb
4 - Lemon
5 - Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
6 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
7 - I've Got You Under My Skin
8 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
9 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
10 - Some Days Are Better Than Others
11 - The First Time
12 - Dirty Day
13 - Slow Dancing
14 - Night And Day
15 - The Wanderer

Pop (I really wanted to open this one with PopMuzik, but for that I'll need a 90-minute CD :) - I felt the "New mixes" from the Best Of album didn't match with the other songs, so I left the originals. The singles, however, are all replaced. )

1 - Discothèque
2 - Do You Feel Loved
3 - Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
4 - Mofo
5 - If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
6 - Staring At The Sun
7 - Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
8 - Gone
9 - Miami
10 - Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
11 - The Playboy Mansion
12 - I'm Not Your Baby
13 - If You Wear That Velvet Dress
14 - Please (Single Version)
15 - North And South Of The River
16 - Wake Up Dead Man

I hope you enjoy playing those as much as I do playing mine! Comments and suggestins are welcome!

Krist

Interesting mix. Big Girls are Best is such a horrible song.
Put in on your POP double album and it fits a lot better (trust me)

7 - Love Comes Tumbling (WAIA Version)]
The version from the Aussie single of TUF is better IMHO

I start my POP CD with an edited version of Popmuzik followed by the Romin Mix of MOFO which is an awesome version (but need to turn the bass down a little).

On my R&H album I connected the first minute or so of the live version of ISHFWILF (just before the band really kicks in) with the live version of Pride. It might sound odd but it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom