ATYCLB band clothes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
Was anyone else kind of puzzled by how the guys essentially wore the same clothes every show and almost everytime they made a scheduled, pulic appearance?

I don't get the strategy behind it. It was obviously intentional 'cause nobody wears the same clothes all the time, so they must have planned it.

I always kind of enjoy seeing what the big stars wear - I got a little tired of seeing the same stuff on U2.

Anyone else share the sentiment? Or not?

Yes, I agree. I think it was weird too. Obviously they are not the SAME shirt or pants or whatever.

I think Bono's always done that hasn't he?? On past tours it was more common for the guys to be dressed diferently every night yet Bono wore the same things am I right?

What's up with that???:scratch:

I guess it has kind of been the MO of the band to wear the same stuff at shows (ZOO TV in particular), but it seems like they would wear different stuff at media appearances.

This time around, it seemed to be the same all the time.

They did NOT wear the same clothes. Believe me, I was obsessed with the tour, looking up pics after every show. Bono wore:

Four different jackets:

Short waisted plain black one
longer black jacket with panther on back
longer black jacket with red star(maybe several varities)
special Slane red braided one

plain black tshirt
black tshirt with military insignia
a few with pics on them, like the Notre Dame and Montreal second leg shows
NYPD tshirt after 9/11 in some places

Adam wore:

Different shiirts, different pants. I am no Adam watcher, but I have seen on PLEBA the girls who keep track of this the way I do Bono, so I know it's true. ASK ELIZABETH ABOUT ADAM'S PANTS! I dare ya!

Edge wore:

Different shirts every night. Remember all the comments about what number/color shirt did Edge wear? He even had different bedazzled pants from time to time.

Larry wore:

The pale blue shirt
the maroon shirt
other shirts, and tearaway pants- ask the PLEBA girls! I dare ya!

You see, they DID change clothes, it's just that you neveer paid any attention. ;)

Well, OK, they did vary to a degree - but you have to admit, they wore the same stuff A LOT.

Certainly more often than the normal person wears the same clothes.

I bet Larry wore the pale blue shirt 8:1 over the maroon shirt and Adam wore that olive green long sleeve t more often than not (with the maroon and/grey and black camo pants).

Edge's numbers changed often, but the overall shirt looked the same - with the subtly studded jeans and the puma sneakers.

Yeah, that is really odd because on their last few tours, ZooTV and PopMart, they totally NEVER wore the same thing twice. :p

It's called stage clothing. :huh:

I made a bet with my friend at one of the shows.. I'm like, ok is Larry going to wear his blue shirt or his marroon shirt tonite?

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

Stage clothing "fit" ZOOTV and POPMART because they were more theatrical, thematic, whatever. The band essentially wore costumes during those tours.

As we all know, ELEVATION didn't have that vibe. They weren't wearing costumes, they were wearing clothes. And they wore the same clothes a lot!

I'm not going to try and even guess the band's intentions in wearing the same clothes night after night, but if I had to, I would say that the band, particularly Bono, had several of the same clothes made up for himself, so as to later, put up these clothes on auction, like we are seeing with the Elevation, Leg 1 jacket. Seeing the same jacket night after night would insure that the jacket was indeed Bono's. Also, Bono does indeed dress very sharp, so I don't see a problem with him wearing the same outfit night after night as long as it is comfortable stage clothing for him.

Chris

One Tree Still said:
Stage clothing "fit" ZOOTV and POPMART because they were more theatrical, thematic, whatever. The band essentially wore costumes during those tours.

As we all know, ELEVATION didn't have that vibe. They weren't wearing costumes, they were wearing clothes. And they wore the same clothes a lot!

ahh, but I would disagree. The "theme" of the stageshow known as Elevation was laid-back, stripped-down. The costumes to go along with that were said clothes. The "we look like we just walked in off the street" clothes. It was all part of the look and therefore just as much a costume and part of the show than Bono's bubble-pants during Popmart.

sulawesigirl4 said:

ahh, but I would disagree. The "theme" of the stageshow known as Elevation was laid-back, stripped-down. The costumes to go along with that were said clothes. The "we look like we just walked in off the street" clothes. It was all part of the look and therefore just as much a costume and part of the show than Bono's bubble-pants during Popmart.

I would have to bloody agree with you girly...good show that Elevation, bloody good show.

Chris

I always joked that I had more outfits than Bono did for the shows!! :lol: and I didn't go to half as many concerts as he did!!

:wink: :tongue:

One Tree Still said:
A stripped-down stage show with costumes that is all about the music - interesting concept

:eyebrow:

I never understand this smilie- but I take it to mean you don't quite buy what Sula said? :huh:

Because if it is a stripped down stage show that CAN focus on the music and remove all possible distractions- then what else would they wear every night? Certainly not the old bubble suits or army fatigues, etc.. More like blue jeans, tshirts, baggy pants and simple comfy leather jackets...

seems olive gets it.

onetreestill, you didn't think that "all about the music" meant that there still wasn't a concept, a theme, a lighting direction and all the elements that go into making a cohesive show, did you?

sulawesigirl4 said:
The "we look like we just walked in off the street" clothes. It was all part of the look and therefore just as much a costume and part of the show than Bono's bubble-pants during Popmart.

or maybe they did just walk in off the street:p

That's not it at all Sula - it's obvious that is what they tried to do, and did.

My whole point was that I think it would have been cool to see them wear different stuff - casual stuff - every night, that's all.

lmao. Ok buddy, simmah down. :lol: You asked the question, I answered it. If you only wanted to hear yourself talk, then you shouldn't have opened a thread, no? sheesh.

Actually, I wasn't asking a question - I was throwing a topic out for discussion.

Obviously, you think you're the only one with a valid opinion on it.

That's fine - to each his (or her) own.

I'll make sure not to "debate" any of your responses in the future - since you'll be providing the definitive answer on all the U2 questions.

[color=royal blue]LOLLLLL I like this thread.......... I like that Bono wore a uniform.....it made it easier for me to copy his clothes.

*camo hat right now*
[/color]

this is all getting rather chippy. and it's about pants.

can't we forget about pants just for a day and live in peace?

One Tree Still said:
Actually, I wasn't asking a question - I was throwing a topic out for discussion.

Obviously, you think you're the only one with a valid opinion on it.

That's fine - to each his (or her) own.

I'll make sure not to "debate" any of your responses in the future - since you'll be providing the definitive answer on all the U2 questions.

Oh yes, OBVIOUSLY. :tsk:

*sigh*

touchy, touchy. Your sarcasm wounds me. :silent:

You think you're the only one with a valid opinion? If you really want a discussion, then what's the problem when people try to engage in one? I must admit, you have me quite baffled. :huh:

:confused: When and how did this thread become so sour???

I see what One Tree is saying and I also agree with Sula's idea of the casual atmosphere/casual clothes "costume".

But I think originally One Tree meant the fact that they wore the same clothes even when they weren't playing concerts.

Or maybe I just shouldn't get involved at all!!:huh: :scratch: :slant:

Look, I'm not interested in a circular argument with you or anyone else. They are always unproductive.

I wouldn't have brought up the topic if I thought my viewpoint was the only valid one.

Strange how these boards work, but I don't feel the least bit "touchy" about this. You appear to be the "touchy" one to me, but I'm sure you would disagree.

Whoever reminded us this is about pants is right - it's not important.

My advice to you, Sula, for what it is worth, is to find a way to come across less "authoritative". Obviously, you can tell me to take a hike on that one if you want to - but I don't pull punches, so there you have it - my thoughts.

The fact is, none of us have even half a clue about the thoughts and motives of U2 - we look a little silly when we appear to think we do.

:cool:

hmm. Weird. Cuz I don't feel touchy one bit. *takes pulse* Nope. Completely normal. Amused really by the turn of events.

I shall take your advice. I think it's sound. And I think that perhaps we could BOTH use it as I would hope neither of us would assume to be the definitive knower-of-all-U2-innerworkings, yes? ;)

carry on.

Back
Top Bottom