ATYCLB-Album Of The Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I disagree, I say while your hot milk it and that if they can they should release the new album this year. The hibernation after ZOOROPA created many of the problems that were experienced with promoting POP and the hibernation after POP again has made this year while successful, very difficult and a lot of hard work for the band. True backlashes rarely happen. Rattle And Hum actually sold very well on the heels of the Joshua Tree despite a critical media. So I say, release that new studio album this year if possible.

I have to agree with Hawkmoon1021 here. If U2 comes with another album this year they will be over-expose and all the excitement will be lost. Even at the moment, I'm getting a bit sick of U2. I mean, we saw them on tour (more than once), they did ALL the talk shows, they did the superbowl, the cover of Time, the Grammies etc. If you compare the emotion from the release of ATYCLB with today, it's completely different. I was excited, thrilled and now I feel almost nothing. It's like it's too much U2. I guess I'm making a over dose of U2.

Cheers,
Tonio

There is no question in my mind that this will happen. U2 will probably walk away with at least half of the Grammys they are nominated for, and deservedly so. It's great to see them on top again. I Love ATYCLB, but after all of this exposure I think it's time for them to hibernate for a while & build up some mystery & excitement. They definitely should NOT put out a new album this year. I really think a mainstream backlash will kick in if they do. Just look at this year alone, and it's only the end of Feb, how much U2 has been in the press. For Example...

The Super Bowl
The Concert For Bono
The Cover Of Time
The Grammies
The Rumoured Summer Tour

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great, and I think it is great that Bono has a wider audience than ever for his message, but I hope they just ride ATYCLB out, and not release a new album this year. Maybe a 90's best of at Xmas to catch up the new fans, & for the old ones who missed out on POP the 1st time. Just bask in the success of ATYCLB & enjoy the fruits of all the hard work. Sure, I want a new U2 album ASAP, but I want a great U2 album. That's what I know they will give us, but I hope it's not this year.

Originally posted by STING2:
I disagree, I say while your hot milk it and that if they can they should release the new album this year. The hibernation after ZOOROPA created many of the problems that were experienced with promoting POP and the hibernation after POP again has made this year while successful, very difficult and a lot of hard work for the band. True backlashes rarely happen. Rattle And Hum actually sold very well on the heels of the Joshua Tree despite a critical media. So I say, release that new studio album this year if possible.

Yes, they should milk it...ATYCLB that is...which they are. I think the Rattle & Hum deal was different. U2 was the biggest band in the world at that point, bar none. They didn't have to appear on any talk shows or anything to sell themselves. They had 3 top 10 singles with the JT, and their videos were constantly played on MTV. Rattle & Hum was going to be huge no matter what the critics said. Also, it was kind of like a live album, which was released in time for Xmas in 1988. U2 was pretty much out of the spotlight since the end of the JT tour in 1987.

In a way, you can say that the DVD acts as the live album for ATYCLB. From what I can see they will be pushing this album well into the spring. You really can't get more exposure than the Super Bowl/Time/Grammys in such a short period of time. Then just wait till after the Grammys, the album, will go back into the top 10. I say enjoy it, then regroup...which is what I think they will do. They have been selling themselves constantly for 18 months, and after the summer tour, it will be over 2 years. I think a year or so out of the spotlight would be wise. I'm guessing you won't see a new album until at least Spring 2003. Maybe stadium shows in the summer....

Although people may disagree, U2 has a shelf life on relevance in today's music culture and they had to work dang hard in order to be in people's face this past year. I believe it is only around now that people are aware of U2 unlike the time when they released their new record in which it was more of, "Oh U2 released a record." IMO, U2 only now has reached that N'Sync/ Michael Jackson level of bigness that they had experienced in the Joshua Tree days. They've got to take advantage of that goodwill/ awareness while they have it.

Also with the fact that they are all in their early forties in age... people are going to start mentioning "rock dinosaur" sooner or later whether if its right or wrong. And it will happen as they get older.

They did all the work to get in people's living rooms, cd players and such, that they need to take advantage while people still consider them relevant and or even aware of them.

U2 wants to get their record out to as many people as possible while maintaining critcal success. If its just critical success and avg. sales, U2 might as well hang it up (in their minds)...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I agree with Sting2, strike while the iron is hot. I dont think Zooropa would have sold 7 million if it didnt come right on the heals of Achtung Baby and a huge world tour. If it had been released 3 years later I think it would have performed similiar to POP if not worse.

The only way releasing an album this year would be bad for U2 is if it was a bad or mediocre album. That would kill their popularity at this stage and people would be saying they are all washed up. If they make an album as good as ATYCLB I think you will see them reach even higher levels of popularity and they will probebly stay on tour for at least a year, starting in July. After that though I would agree that they should take a 2 year break. For their health and well being more than anything.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-27-2002).]

I agree, Zooropa, would not have sold nearly as much if it wasn't so soon after Achtung Baby. There wasn't one hit single off it in the US. It mananged to sell 2 million in the US, and then Pop, on its own long after ZooTV, sold 1.5 million in the US, with 2 top 40 hits. Zooropa released later than it was I think would have been their worst selling album since October.

Back
Top Bottom