ATYCLB Airport Colapses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
a section of the De Gaulle airport, where U2 shot the cover for ATYCLB as well as the Beautiful Day video and other promotional work, collapsed today, killing at least 6 people.

:sad:

cdg_u2_1.jpg

airport.jpg

The ceiling of glass, concrete and steel collapsed onto a footway at the airport's 2E terminal, a building first opened in June 2003.

Woah, thats no good at all. Still within the defects liability period. Some architect firm better have damn good public liability insurance.

The terminal opened last June at a cost of 750 million euros. It opened late, partly because a commission at first withheld a safety certificate.

French media quickly asked if construction was completed properly or had been rushed. Jean-Paul Huchon, president of the greater Paris region, said: "We still don't know the cause but it might have been a construction fault."

:no: Bane of my life (I work in safety/risk management). The amount of times buildings are opened early before they pass the safety check is really really sickening.

My sympathies to the families :hug:

If it was only opened last June then it mustn't have been the exact part U2 were filming in (ATYCLB promo shoots would have been taken in late 2000). Sympathies to all involved :(

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i do believe the airport wasn't officialy opened at the time the shots were taken... they were still building it. correct me if i'm wrong

The airport was open then. Maybe not the terminal they were in?

After seven years of construction, CDG began service on March 8, 1974. Terminal one was built to an avant-garde design consisting of a ten-floor high circular building surrounded by seven satellite buildings each with four gates.

Tragic indeed. Though apparently it happened at the best possible time (if there is such a thing): the news here stated that had it been a little while later, it would've been packed, but didn't give a reason why.

On the news of "Studio Brussels" (Belgium radio) it said the losses where reduced to 4 deaths...still 4 to much...
Condolences to those who knew these people...

Back
Top Bottom