ATYCLB: A Walk Through Memory Lane (+Levitate)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clawgrabber

War Child
Los Angeles, California (There Is No End To Love)
A few questions for everyone to bring back memories of half a decade ago…

Happy Birthday ATYCLB

I remember Outkast’s Stankonia came out the same day and all the people at the record store were buying IT instead.

Anyeay:)

1. LEVITATE: bono said he wished he had left it on ATYCLB. Does anyone have that direct quote?
2. Where would it have been in the running order? I suppose that would prevent Edge's last minute setlist change? (http://forum.interference.com/t144768.html)

Original ATYCLB running order:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Peace On Earth
Kite
New York
In a Little While
Wild Honey
When I Look At the World
Grace

3. Would Elevation have been on the album if Levitate had made it? Are the two songs too similar in theme/lyric/title?

4. and while we are on the subject… Wasn’t U2 Upset about including “The Ground Beneath Her Feet” as a bonus track on ATYCLB in the UK because Grace was the perfect album closer or something? Anyone have that quote? If it is true, i wonder why they included it as the final track of ATYCLB on the iTunes Boxset.

5. What about Stateless? Was there ever any intention of its inclusion on the album? Flower Child? Love You Like Mad? Summer Rain? Should they have been included (Always and Big Girls Are Best don’t count, in my opinion because Always became Beautiful Day and Big Girls is from the POP sessions.

6. Remember “HOME” as discussed by Edge in Propaganda? I know that it became Walk On (didn’t it?)… but my oh my, I would love to hear that track. I wish they would have released a more in depth Vault of recordings on the iTunes boxset. Oh well. I’m sure we’ll get one when Vertigo Air crashes in the Himalayas.

Ah...

memories.
Buying all the singles as they came out.
U27 at Target (Acoustic Stuck in a Moment
:drool: )

Elevation and Walk On Single Versions
Wanting to strangle ticketmaster.com in my brother's college dorm room. Waiting out in the cold on a payphone in kansas to get tickets to the Miami opener. (Don't ever try that one, everyone!)

Last edited:
Man, that Target thing: $6.99. What a freakin deal.

I must have spent $30+ buying the import singles to get all those songs.

I'm pretty sure the last minute change in the running order was HTDAAB, not ATYCLB. Bono said that he had a different order, but Edge came up with another one because he said that you couldn't have a slow song right after a fast song (presumably Bono's original order -- though frankly, I think "Miracle Drug" is a mid-tempo song at best, not a rocker).

Actually, checking a different room here, it seems ATYCLB went through a running order permutation or two as well... but I'm 99% sure HTDAAB went through a last-minute change as well.

nathan1977 said:
I'm pretty sure the last minute change in the running order was HTDAAB, not ATYCLB. Bono said that he had a different order, but Edge came up with another one because he said that you couldn't have a slow song right after a fast song (presumably Bono's original order -- though frankly, I think "Miracle Drug" is a mid-tempo song at best, not a rocker).

Actually, I think it was Bono who said you can't have a slow song after a fast one... I'm pretty sure Bono would've been much happier having "Elevation" follow "Beautiful Day" and a track like "All Because of You" after "Vertigo."

Clawgrabber said:
I remember Outkast’s Stankonia came out the same day and all the people at the record store were buying IT instead.

I was working in Sacramento that week, and I went to Best Buy to get the copy with the bonus disc.

I got there 15-minutes before it opened, and there was a line outside. I was actually worried that I wasn't going to get a copy with a bonus disc, but then everyone walked straight by the U2 display to get Jay Z's The Dynasty: Roc La Familia.

All I want to add is that it's totally appaling how badly this album gets trashed by some people on here.

That's alright though, it's solely their loss they can't apreciate what a wonderful and career-defining this album is.

Imagine the 2000's like this:

All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Levitate
Walk On
In A Little While
Summer Rain
Stateless
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

(album 2002)
Elevation (like the tomb raider version)
Big Girls Are Best
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Love You Like Mad
Flower Child
Smile
Wild Honey
Electrical Storm (not the wm. orbit mix)
The Hands That Built America
Kite (with real string orchestra)
New York

How To Dismantle:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crumbs From Your Table
Sometimes You Can't Make In On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Love And Peace Or Else
All Because Of You
Fast Cars
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Yahweh

Lets glorify and celebrate the sadest and weakest point of U2s career!!!

It's not that it's bad, its just so mediocre. I can appreciate pop songs, I just want them to be more than just good. They must be great.

"Levitate" is nice though and with some more work it could have been great. But leave it to U2 to leave it off of the album to make room for drivel like "Elevation" and "Peace On Earth". "Kite" nearly reaches greatness only to give up with the craptacular last verse and boring ending. "Walk On" is nearly great as well but the production is just too bland for U2. The single mix is an improvement I will admit. "In A Little While" may actually be great but I do wish it went somewhere. The ending kind of lets me down even still. It just feels like they took all these perfectly good U2 songs and then forgot to make them interesting like the rest of there back catalog. Anyway, I guess I'm done. I'm really not trying to rain on anyone parade here, I can understand how ATYCLB could mean a lot to someone. Like I said, it's not terrible. I will say that HTDAAB, though suffering from some of the same problems, is miles better as an album.

*awaits the flames*

Clawgrabber said:
6. Remember “HOME” as discussed by Edge in Propaganda? I know that it became Walk On (didn’t it?)… but my oh my, I would love to hear that track. I wish they would have released a more in depth Vault of recordings on the iTunes boxset. Oh well. I’m sure we’ll get one when Vertigo Air crashes in the Himalayas.
I kind of doubt it was ever more than the part we hear in "Walk On." I mean, "Full Metal Jacket" was just one goofy riff, and they made more of that than they ever made of "Home."

I forgot that the mindblowing Stankonia and PJ Harvey's masterpiece Stories from the City, Stories From the Sea also came out on that Halloween.

So ATYCLB was the third best album released that day, huh?

There's something fitting about this being U2's only non #1 album in the U.S. since JT.

Catman said:

Actually, I think it was Bono who said you can't have a slow song after a fast one... I'm pretty sure Bono would've been much happier having "Elevation" follow "Beautiful Day" and a track like "All Because of You" after "Vertigo."

No, I believe Bono's the one who thinks the second track should be a ballad/slower song.

Clawgrabber said:

1. LEVITATE: bono said he wished he had left it on ATYCLB. Does anyone have that direct quote?

2. Where would it have been in the running order? I suppose that would prevent Edge's last minute setlist change?

3. Would Elevation have been on the album if Levitate had made it? Are the two songs too similar in theme/lyric/title?

4. and while we are on the subject… Wasn’t U2 Upset about including “The Ground Beneath Her Feet” as a bonus track on ATYCLB in the UK because Grace was the perfect album closer or something? Anyone have that quote? If it is true, i wonder why they included it as the final track of ATYCLB on the iTunes Boxset.

5. What about Stateless? Was there ever any intention of its inclusion on the album? Flower Child? Love You Like Mad? Summer Rain? Should they have been included (Always and Big Girls Are Best don’t count, in my opinion because Always became Beautiful Day and Big Girls is from the POP sessions.

1. I think he said it didn't fit the theme and flow of the album. . I'll dig for this quote later. May have said something about Elevation.
2. No idea, I think it would have made an excellent follow up to Beautiful Day at track #2.
3. Same as #1, I'll look for the quote.
4. no idea
5. there is a quote on this somewhere in the vast reaches.
6. According to Adam, it was one of two songs that became Walk On, so technically you could call it a different song, I suppose. Like Xanax and Fast Cars are more similar than Always and Beautiful Day but they come from the same place. I'd like to hear it, but who knows how incomplete is was or wasn't. Guessing, I'd say it was in it's infancy because it never saw the light of day and the others did.

a few I found real quick, from Hot Press in 2000...

///////
Beautiful Day" has survived and mix hostilities have abated, though mild controversies remain. Edge isn't sure whether they've got the right mix of "Kite" (they have). Others want to include "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack (in the end they do). Edge lobbies for a last-minute change to sequencing (Edge wins). But everyone is happy and, as far as U2 precedent goes, this is miraculous. No one alive remembers Larry Mullen being so garrulous.

"There is a song called 'Home' that we left off the album," adds Bono, "it goes, 'Out of jokes, out of smokes, out of punches and on the ropes/On the canvas just inches from where you used to stand/out of fear, out of rage...' "
/////

i didn't find the levitate one yet, but I didn't look that long.

see, that qoute makes me think that Home was much more than just a riff.

if they said it was "left off the album" rather than "became walk on" then i'm sure it is at least worth a listen. I'm sure some of it became walk on, but if it is anything like Xanax or Always, I would like to hear it.

hmmmm, maybe Home has that same line from Walk On

Home, hard to know what it is...*rest of lyric*

kind of like the Baby's Head lyric in Levitate

U2DMfan said:
Edge lobbies for a last-minute change to sequencing (Edge wins).

That's what I thought. It isn't Edge who doesn't like ballads in the #2 spot, as many would assume, but Bono. And he's right. It looks like Edge convinced them to put Stuck second instead of Elevation.

The man might be a musical genius, but he makes mistakes like anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom