ATTN Tennis Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
ATTN Tennis Fans

Now that Hewitt and Kuerten are out of the Australian Open, and Agassi and Rafter aren't playing (why, oh why did Rafter retire?) who are you rooting for? And don't say Sampras...(who, in my opinion, is living proof that evolution did occur...even if he IS a great player).

This is, assuming that there ARE tennis fans here. Or else I look like a complete loser.

Great post! I'm sorry, but I love Pete Sampras. I have to like him. I play his style of game.

Otherwise, look out for:

Federer
Phillopousis
Henman

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Sampras
tongue.gif

Federer
Ivanisevic

too bad Poussi is already out of there...

Roddick is a contender as is Sampras (though they will play in the 4th round), but we all know that Goran Ivanisevic will beat Sampras in a classic 5-set Finals
biggrin.gif
(either that or the more likely scenario featuring a Sampras victory over someone like Federer or Kafelnikov in the Finals)

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
we all know that Goran Ivanisevic will beat Sampras in a classic 5-set Finals

LOL! I don't know about that! He had a great Wimbledon though!

------------------

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Damn Rafter and his "injuries"
mad.gif

He'll be back. Trust me. He'll be back!

------------------

Why O why does everyone want Martina Fungus to win? She could groan her opponent off court and win by default I guess.

And did any of you Aussies hear what Hewitt was babbling on about after his game? Does he need a good hard smack in the head or what. Poor form. Really bad. Oh thats right, hes still a kid and doesnt know how to conduct himself yet. BLAH.

I'd love to see Williams win. She is fascinating to watch.

If Henman or Rusedski win I will cry with laughter.

Actually they are now playing each other in the next round. That's about as big as tennis gets in England! haha

I for one, agree w/ Stagman & Saracene and hope Hingis takes the ladies's championship. It's about time, she needs it. But she'll have to face all the big 'contendas' along the way....

And isn't Rafter retired now? Isn't that why he's not playing?

And for the record: I don't HATE Sampras...I love serve and volley, and he IS the best. I'm just not overally fond of him. I admire him, etc, but I think I still may be sore about his personality. He's said some rude things in the past...forgive and foget Petey?
The Williams sisters I can't stand.

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 01-16-2002).]

i can't stand Sampra either - what a cocky little asshole. He tries to be the quiet reserved type but he's not fooling me. He is rude and always a sore loser.

Best ever was Stefan Edberg!!!

no one ever better than Stefan!

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

The Williams sisters I can't stand.

I can't stand them either!

MikeSt.

How could you think Sampras is a cocky asshole? I met him once and he was probably the most nicest, humble athlete I've ever talked to.

------------------

Originally posted by mikal:
I can't stand them either!

Finally, someone with some taste! *lol*

MikeSt: No one was better than Borg (or so my dad keeps telling me). Me, I'm Steffi Graf girl.

God, can you imagine Graf and Agassi's kid? He/she's gonna be AMAZING? (wonder if they'll do the two handed or one handed backhand?)

I once saw Philippoussis play in Toronto. He got soooo pissed after losing a point that he threw (whipped) his racket down onto the ground with a resounding "AGGGGGGHHH!" (we were sitting pretty close. It was scary). Pieces of the racket went EVERYWHERE. God, he mangled that thing, big time.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

God, can you imagine Graf and Agassi's kid? He/she's gonna be AMAZING? (wonder if they'll do the two handed or one handed backhand?)

eek.gif

Just imagine:

"Andre and Steffi separate because of dispute over child's backhand!"

------------------

Originally posted by mikal:
eek.gif

Just imagine:

"Andre and Steffi separate because of dispute over child's backhand!"

*lol*
smile.gif
I can see them fighting now...
Steffi: "Look kid. WHo's advice do you want? They always said I had the best backhand in the world. You're really going to listen to your father?"
Agassi: "Don't listen to her kid. I've been around longer. I didn't retire early because I was scared of Monica's comeback!"

Hey, come and chat at the ESPN chats or the Australian Open Web site chats, or boards, its fun. I go to Wimbledon, U.S. Open, Indian Wells, and Key Biscayne almost every year. Don't ever count Safin out, and my God he's a hansome man. Pete's losing his hair! Krajicek will be back hopefully by Indian Wells, he hurt his elbow at the U.S. Open 2000 and hasn't played since. There's a lot of web sites on all these players, and they even chat on them. Forgot to add, Pete is one of the nicest people in the world. And you should see these guys in their Armani and Versace at night when they go out to dinner! Then they go to the hotel bars and play pool. Todd Martin is so good at pool he even has his own cue. Even Kafelnikov who is known for being cranky, is so sweet to people. He has a little girl and a wife, which a lot of people don't know, and when he practices his little girl sits there with him, then he takes her hand and walks with her all over. Rafter is also one of the nicest, if not the nicest, of all the players, and Krajicek.

One last thing, take a look at Taylor Dent. He has one of the most incredible serves, and he volleys...men who volley are awesome. Pete can take this puppy home if he wants it bad enough.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-16-2002).]

Originally posted by MikeSt:

Best ever was Stefan Edberg!!!

no one ever better than Stefan!

Oh yep
Oh yep
I was a huge Stefan's fan!!!!!!!! serve&volley king everrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

------------------
don't believe what you hear
don't believe what you see

Originally posted by U2live:
Hey, come and chat at the ESPN chats or the Australian Open Web site chats, or boards, its fun. I go to Wimbledon, U.S. Open, Indian Wells, and Key Biscayne almost every year. Don't ever count Safin out, and my God he's a hansome man. Pete's losing his hair! Krajicek will be back hopefully by Indian Wells, he hurt his elbow at the U.S. Open 2000 and hasn't played since. There's a lot of web sites on all these players, and they even chat on them. Forgot to add, Pete is one of the nicest people in the world. And you should see these guys in their Armani and Versace at night when they go out to dinner! Then they go to the hotel bars and play pool. Todd Martin is so good at pool he even has his own cue. Even Kafelnikov who is known for being cranky, is so sweet to people. He has a little girl and a wife, which a lot of people don't know, and when he practices his little girl sits there with him, then he takes her hand and walks with her all over. Rafter is also one of the nicest, if not the nicest, of all the players, and Krajicek.

One last thing, take a look at Taylor Dent. He has one of the most incredible serves, and he volleys...men who volley are awesome. Pete can take this puppy home if he wants it bad enough.

Sounds like you've MET them...esp Rafter (my FAVOUITE). Where? How? I want details!

So what's the deal w/ all the mens seeds down? I don't understand.

all the time at the tournaments, players are totally accessible. Safin just spun Pete around like a wind-up toy today, go Marat! I have a Rafter story to show how sweet he is. When he was #1 he was in the hotel gift shop buying very healthful snacks, yogurt bars, and stuff, and he said "please put these on my room." and the sr. citizen clerk said, "what's your name?" (lol right there), and he said "Rafter Room #" (which I already knew I was 2 doors from him), and she said "Rifton?" He said again, "Rafter." Then she said, "spell that for me." He spelled it. She said back "Roftar." He ended up spelling it 3x. And he was never rude, he never said "listen I'm the #1 tennis player in the world and its a tennis tournament right here don't you know who i am." He was so sweet, and he just spelled it over and over, and never was the least bit annoyed. And I thought us nobody's would probably have told her to take a hike after spelling our names once. Another tennis tidbit is Moya is Marat's best friend because Marat trained since the age of 13 in Spain with him. And at tournaments they hang out together all the time. And the players from Europe, Australia, South America, Russia have old fashioned, gentlemanly manners like we haven't seen in America since 1900. If you are way down the hall, they hold the elevator for you, they ask you what floor, they chat in the elevators, and they hold the door until you go out. When Moya was going to play for the title at Indian Wells and become #1, he held the door for me first putting all his tennis gear on the floor before he went on the court. Believe me the American players run out the door leaving it to bang on you. Except Pete. Another really nice one is Gambill, besides being hansome. In the restaurants they all say good morning to you, and Martina Hingis mother when they go, she smiles and says good morning to everyone. I just wish in America we could get those good manners back like they all have.

o i forgot, i think Marat is playing Rios next, don't miss that, altho Safin's serve can probably kick Rios all the way back home because he is only as tall as Michael Chang, and Safin is 6'5". But Rios can be a cranky, really kind of angry guy, altho when he's playing he flirts with women on the court, so does Goran, and Becker used to do that also. But another thing about Rios is he has green eyes, beautiful green, c if you can notice on tv. He's always been very nice, never had a problem with him ever, posed for pictures, etc. But I was with a nice woman who went up to him for an autograph, and he said "no, get out of my way." And she was just crushed and so embarassed.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-21-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom