Attn: ATYCLB Lovers...Now do you understand!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
The reason we do not care for ATYCLB is not because it is a terrible album (althought it has some annoying moments). The reason people do not care for this album is because we know that U2 is capable of SO MUCH MORE!!! HTDAAB has proven this.

IMO HTDAAB is not perfect but it has the magic that ATYCLB does not. HTDAAB was the album I was expecting 4 years ago. I can barely listen to that album now without feeling embarassed.

Just my thoughts at the moment. Feel free to comment. And I am not trying to offend anyone or tell them they are wrong.

Hey, I think HTDAAB is as great as the next person, but I'll always love ATYCLB for some terrific songs and its uncanny ability to capture the spirit of the times.

ATYCLB had plenty of magic.

I felt the songs themselves on atyclb were just fine but the studio performances were not up to their potential.

If you really wanna look at it that way, ATYCLB showed us how poor Pop was. I'd say Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB are all good records.

I'll understand when Pop fans/ATYCLB haters finally 'get it' that some of us thought the same thing about Pop, that it wasn't good enough to be U2.

I love ATYCLB. That record and the messages on it came out at just the right time to help me through some serious stuff in my life. I think it has some wonderful songs on it. Everyone has different taste so there will be many different opinions, none of it is a fact. I happen to not like Pop but I can appricate everyone's love of it.

Not really.
Not because I haven't heard the album but because I enjoyed - and still do - ATYCLB.

Last edited:
ATYCLB was a great album I think Bomb is a better album but that is up to peoples personal opinion.

ATYCLB...is good! not great!..is a black album!.

more soul than any rock band willl do!...

is their small rubber soul album!

Lisa71 said:
I love ATYCLB. That record and the messages on it came out at just the right time to help me through some serious stuff in my life. I think it has some wonderful songs on it.

Ditto for me.

And I'm one of those, along with members of the band, who humbly believe that they are a conduit for messages the world needs to hear at a particular time. I'd say the songs on ATYCLB were exactly what we all needed to hear in 2001.

Just as the songs on HTDAAB are no doubt exactly the songs we need to hear in 2004.

Peace,

PopDaisy
:larry: :adam: :heart: :bono: :edge:

HTDAAB is okay - but the only real good moments for me on it are 'Miracle Drug' and 'Original Of The Species'. Musically it's better, lyrically, I think it's a little weak.
I love so many bits of ATYCLB. Maybe it's because that't the album that my generation will have grown up to, but I think it's stronger... so much stronger lyrically.
And lyrics are what really matter to me. I'm that kind of person.

I still prefer ATYCLB, for me it was a return to form from the unmitigated disaster of the Popmart tour and the half of adecent record Pop was, and the "utter shite" of Zooropa (Stay being the exception of course)

beau2ifulday said:
HTDAAB is okay - but the only real good moments for me on it are 'Miracle Drug' and 'Original Of The Species'. Musically it's better, lyrically, I think it's a little weak.
I love so many bits of ATYCLB. Maybe it's because that't the album that my generation will have grown up to, but I think it's stronger... so much stronger lyrically.
And lyrics are what really matter to me. I'm that kind of person.

Based on lyrics, I thought ATYCLB was a little weak. The lyrics were too obvious. The lyrics on HTDAAB are a mixture of the simplicity of ATYCLB, the personal AB, and the more poetic JT.

SeattleVertigo said:
Hey, I think HTDAAB is as great as the next person, but I'll always love ATYCLB for some terrific songs and its uncanny ability to capture the spirit of the times.

Definetely agree with you. I'll always have good memories of fall 2000 and ATYCLB

SeattleVertigo said:

cardosino said:
I still prefer ATYCLB, for me it was a return to form from the unmitigated disaster of the Popmart tour and the half of adecent record Pop was, and the "utter shite" of Zooropa (Stay being the exception of course)
:shame: take a look around, you're in a U2 forum... opinions are great but to say that something U2 has done was an "unmitigated disaster" or "utter shite" as if these were facts is probably not welcome.

ATYCLB is a great album, the second half has its weak parts (POE, Wild Honey) but it is a very strong album overall. HTAAB for me puts it in the ground but thats how much I love the new album, its not a disrespect to ATYCLB, which I just put in my cd player today. I mean, NME are the biggest u2 haters around and they gave the new album 9/10, not that reviews mean much, but still....

RademR said:
ATYCLB is a great album, the second half has its weak parts (POE, Wild Honey) but it is a very strong album overall. HTAAB for me puts it in the ground but thats how much I love the new album, its not a disrespect to ATYCLB, which I just put in my cd player today. I mean, NME are the biggest u2 haters around and they gave the new album 9/10, not that reviews mean much, but still....

wow. NME gave it 9/10?
Their reviewers are usually so harsh.

I'm in total disagreement......HTDAAB is a great album, but it's not as good as ATYCLB. ATYCLB is brimming with even more soul and better melodies. I love the new album, but the band has at least a half dozen releases that are better.

BigMacPhisto said:
I'm in total disagreement......HTDAAB is a great album, but it's not as good as ATYCLB. ATYCLB is brimming with even more soul and better melodies. I love the new album, but the band has at least a half dozen releases that are better.

I can't completely agree because i've heard HTDAAB only a few times, but i think that ATYCLB is an OUTSTANDING album that when you listen completely through, barely contains any weak tracks. Certainly better, but different from POP, which although had great potential, was simply not a polished album -> i didn't know this until recently, but apparently, U2 booked their dates for popmart well before realizing how long it would take to finish the record and as such, ended up scrambling up to finish. . .

I've been to every tour since Joshua Tree (was a merely 8 years of age when i was dragged to my first U2 show against my will - but have been a fan ever since) and i must say that i loved popmart's excess. . . it was totally insane and wonderful.

I think the Pop era is not good at all, and I really love ATYCLB (despite the fact that it gets progressively worse, the meat of it it's the first half - Walk On stands as one of the best songs ever IMHO).

And I love Vertigo. I'm starting to listen more and more to HTDAAB.

I love ATYCLB there are some songs on that album that got me through rough times, ...I must say tho there were 3 songs that i wasn't crazy about Wild honey POE and Grace ..

As for HTDAAB well i have listened to it quite a few times now and i can't say there are any songs that i'm not crazy about i actually like all 11 songs...now often does that happen??...for me not very often even with a band whom i adore like U2...theres always one or two i tend to skip over but with this album i find myself listening to all of them...over and over...

Is it better then ATYCLB? only time will tell, but so far so good i'm enjoying it and i'm sure i will for years to come :)

:dance:

U2FAN4LIFE said:
:shame: take a look around, you're in a U2 forum... opinions are great but to say that something U2 has done was an "unmitigated disaster" or "utter shite" as if these were facts is probably not welcome.

Funny, I've seen plenty of negative comments along the sam elines, including the very phrase "utter shite" a few times in the HTDAAB section posted by others. Still, I'm happy to see we're being well-policed

Back
Top Bottom