Attn: ATYCLB Lovers...Now do you understand!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have yet to see how these two albums are so similar. Miracle Drug has a bit of a Beautiful Day influence in it, and Crumbs sounds a bit like Elctrical Storm, but I'm not hearing much more than that.

Lancemc said:
I have yet to see how these two albums are so similar. Miracle Drug has a bit of a Beautiful Day influence in it, and Crumbs sounds a bit like Elctrical Storm, but I'm not hearing much more than that.

1. Both albums open with explosive songs, then quieten down.
2. Stuck In A blah Vs. Sometimes You cant blah
3. peace on earth & love and peace
4. walk on & crumbs (damn that chiming guitar :wink: )
5. new york & city of bl (in theme)
6. in a little while & man and a woman

I could go on and on.....

Please do go on...because you still have a very weak argument.
1. Most U2 albums do. Wooo, big whoop.
2. Similar titles, very different songs
3. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
4. chimey guitar....ok.
5. theme, fair enough, but again, very different songs lyrically and musically
6. both have some soul, both kinda sexy love songs...you have a case with this one.

Overall those aren't the best examples for your argument, but i guess we all hear different things.

Lancemc said:
Please do go on...because you still have a very weak argument.
1. Most U2 albums do. Wooo, big whoop.
2. Similar titles, very different songs
3. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
4. chimey guitar....ok.
5. theme, fair enough, but again, very different songs lyrically and musically
6. both have some soul, both kinda sexy love songs...you have a case with this one.

Overall those aren't the best examples for your argument, but i guess we all hear different things.

1. But most albums don't slow down immediately with the second song and become mellow like these 2 do. But it's fine, I'll agree this isn't a strong point.
2. Similar titles yes! and same position (2nd) on the album. What more do you want? I'm not saying these albums are similar only musically.
3. please... they have the same exact theme. peace on earth, we need love and peace.
4. chimey chimmichanga
5. theme
6. soul

Plus... Stuck In A Moment was dedicated to the band's longtime friend Michael Hutchence of INXS. And Sometimes has been dedicated to Bono's dad. Cmon now!

Alright you did support some of your points there, but I still think its a bit of hyperbole saying, "Overall, these 2 albums are so similar, it is not even funny." I think your arguments about album themes is not quite as strong as others might suggest. U2 has always had a history of continuing the same themes form one album to another. The religious/spacial themes of The Joshua Tree carried over to Rattle and Hum. The technological and isolation themes of Achtung Baby were very prominent in Zooropa. The themes of rebirth and reawakening that are found throughout POP were restated and resolved in ATYCLB, so it's not at all surprising that similar themes found in ATYCLB will be spotted in Atomic Bomb. I would then go on to say that all those albums just mentioned are very different from each other, despite similar themes that carry over form one to the next.

Lancemc said:
Alright you did support some of your points there, but I still think its a bit of hyperbole saying, "Overall, these 2 albums are so similar, it is not even funny." I think your arguments about album themes is not quite as strong as others might suggest. U2 has always had a history of continuing the same themes form one album to another. The religious/spacial themes of The Joshua Tree carried over to Rattle and Hum. The technological and isolation themes of Achtung Baby were very prominent in Zooropa. The themes of rebirth and reawakening that are found throughout POP were restated and resolved in ATYCLB, so it's not at all surprising that similar themes found in ATYCLB will be spotted in Atomic Bomb. I would then go on to say that all those albums just mentioned are very different from each other, despite similar themes that carry over form one to the next.

Sometimes I get carried away too with the hyperbole, I admit. :wink: I agree with what you're saying about similar themes in the past (JT & RH, AB and Z)

Evalicious said:
Im happy to say that i love atyclb very much.

Those songs mean a lot to me.

Everybody is different, i guess :|

Lisa71 said:
I love ATYCLB. That record and the messages on it came out at just the right time to help me through some serious stuff in my life. I think it has some wonderful songs on it. Everyone has different taste so there will be many different opinions, none of it is a fact. I happen to not like Pop but I can appricate everyone's love of it.

:yes: :up: :up: :up:

Last edited:
I thot ATYCLB was a good plus album, in that for me it had let's say 3 diamond-like songs.
Walk On: esp the revised live halle, halle, halleluya version; New York- I almost dropped the store headphones when i was listening to it first time [no i did not have the money to buy it when it very first came out]- one of the most impressive, stunning Dynamics sound-shifts that works so well with the song's lyrics: and Beautiful

I thot ATYCLB was a good plus album, in that for me it had let's say 3 Diamond-like songs.
Walk On: esp the revised live halle, halle, halleluya version; New York- I almost dropped the store headphones when i was listening to it first time [no i did not have the money to buy it when it very first came out]- one of the most impressive, stunning Dynamics sound-shifts that works so well with the song's lyrics: and Beautiful Day- just....beautiful AND uplifting [and the bell-rings/chimes...magic as usual].

something like Platinum- WYLATW- lyrics & vocals, melody. ALtho I thought it waould be considered a ...obscure track...donm't ask me why...:shrug: i really don't know

Then something like Gold- Kite, SIAM - the fact they could do this lovely sort of r & bish dueting LIVE was very impressive;

But then I wasn't that impressed with the rest od it.

Now HTDAAB---oh :ohmy:

for me....it's got just way more 'Diamond', & 'Platinum' songs on it all around . And I love the differences in bunches of the songs from each other....

Diamonds- Yaweh, COBL, LAPOE, Vertigo
Platinum- Crumbs, SYCMIOYO, ABOY, Miracle Drug
Gold- AM&AW
Silver [I didn't even rate them as silver for the first month, but after even more listenings, I realy appreciate the parts of each I really do like}- OOTS , OSCTK

to me ATYCLB is like a shining prequal &promise that HTDAAB fufills even more.

Last edited:
ATYCLB is good (a 4 star album)
HTDAAB is the greatest ever, Who needs Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. I love both of them but, the journey that is

ATYCLB is good (a 4 star album)
HTDAAB is the greatest ever, Who needs Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree. I love both of them but, the journey that is HTDAAB is a journey through a band that has peaked and showcased their ability to be the most brilliant.

Who needs to be innovative when you can be brilliant.

I really like all that you can't leave behind. :shrug: And it has grown on me, just like all the other albums.

to all those who love ATYCLB :applaud:

i happen to like HTDAAB a little more at this point of time..... but i recall listening to ATYCLB so much more when it first came out...that album holds so many fantastic memories for me....

i don't think it is fair to say ATYCLB is not up to the mark and that HTDAAB shows us what u2 is capable of

i think it is more accurate to say Pop is not up to the mark and then ATYCLB came along and showed us what U2 is capable of!

ATYCLB still sucks IMO.. I like Walk on and when i look at the world.. The rest is just,,,, Well nothing i feel like listening to..
But i think its cool that so many like the album, so dont go nuts because i think it sucks.

Today was the first time for about a month that i had HTDAAB in the stereo. And i am so happy because i still think that this album is superb. After ATYCLB, i had a few doubts about what to expect from a U2 album.

unnamed_streets said:

1. Both albums open with explosive songs, then quieten down.
2. Stuck In A blah Vs. Sometimes You cant blah
3. peace on earth & love and peace
4. walk on & crumbs (damn that chiming guitar :wink: )
5. new york & city of bl (in theme)
6. in a little while & man and a woman

I could go on and on.....

1. Most U2's albums have energetic albums, then a slower song at place 2 or 3.
2. Soul vs a rock ballad. Not similar. BTW Stuck is no. 2 and Sometimes is no.3 on HTDAAB.
3. First being about N. Ireland, second being about Middle East/relationship. Not similar, especially the music.
4. Um, yeah, like 15 seconds of the song.
5. No. New York is about midlife crisis, City is about NY shows on Elevation tour after 9/11 and reminiscence of a young U2 first entering New York at the start of their careers.
6. Soul vs r/b. Not similar. IALW is about Bono's family, AMAAW is about his marriage.

Please go on.

The albums are not that similar. Original of the species is the only song that could have been on ATYCLB.

The mood is darker on HTDAAB, it has more of Edge's guitar and the production is different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom