Attention! Fan Reaction Article For "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RobVox said:

To be honest, on your so called "crap U2 song list" the only song I don't like is Miami, all of the others I really like a lot, about trying to get attention: PLEASE!!

Is this or isn't this a forum to discuss how we all feel about the new song??? I am shit, just because my opinion isn't exactly in line with your's, so because I am not line with you I can't post? What the hell is all that about???

AND, btw, the force feeding is starting to work, I guess I just expected something else from the first single, but this "does" have a raw energy I just wrote off at first, so I will keep looking at it from new angles.

Be back later, maybe by then I will have had the revelation I missed, that you all had (honestly searching).

RobVox

You are obviously becoming ridiculously defensive, so I'll keep this short.

Have an opinion...

Be able to also TAKE an opinion...

You've got 1 out of 2 down, maybe you'll get the other one through the "revelation" you are expecting soon.

p.s. and about my list of songs... I don't necessarily consider them all shit, but if I did thats my opinion. I'm entitled to an opinion just like this dude and everyone else. I find it very hard to believe that EVERYTHING this band has done is BRILLIANT, no band in history has done that, doesn't make them anyless of a legendary band, thats just my opinion.

later.

PowerSurge said:

You are obviously becoming ridiculously defensive, so I'll keep this short.

Have an opinion...

Be able to also TAKE an opinion...

You've got 1 out of 2 down, maybe you'll get the other one through the "revelation" you are expecting soon.

later.

Okay, I am finished discussing theoretical postulates with PowerSurge on the relevance of my opinion. Relevant or not you decide for yourself, but whatever your conclusion regarding the query I will not just fade into obscurity simply as a result of my nonconforming position.

As far as my Top 10 list, that is a really tough question, hmmmm:

In no particular order:

Bad
Scarlet
October
New Years Day
The Fly
Ultraviolet
One
Still haven’t found
Heartland
Lemon
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Gloria
A Celebration
Electrical Storm
Pride
Drowning Man
Vertigo ;)

Okay I know that is more then 10, but that is just off the top of my head. And yes, Vertigo is now on there: result: On to a new generation and awakening of U2. Bring on The Bomb!

My proposed quote for Bono to use (feeeeel free to use this King-B):

Interviewer: “How would you describe the new sound of U2, as captured on this album and Vertigo the new single?”

Bono: “This is U2 dropping a fucking (it is Bono talking so it has to have a “fuck” in it) atomic bomb on U2 history and taking the band and the world screaming into this millennium.”

RobVox

RobVox said:

I mean for hells-sake the Edge is doing the equivalent of power cords the entire song, power cords, the Edge, he never stooped to that ever, even songs like Bullet are beautiful soaring anthems, I am so depressed.

RobVox

do you even know what power chords are?

anyways, i like vertigo, i thought it would die down like elevation/beautiful day did for me, but this one keeps on going

bcrt2000 said:

do you even know what power chords are?

anyways, i like vertigo, i thought it would die down like elevation/beautiful day did for me, but this one keeps on going

Uh, yes, 15 years of Guitar and I think the answer has to be: YES! A power chord is defined as, "A combination of three or more pitches sounded simultaneously in such a manner as to induce a sense of power."

I think what Edge is doing qualifies, don't you?

RobVox

Last edited:
My verdict after 5 days:

A rocking, tight 3 mintue song about temptation. Perhaps you could imagine the boys belting this song out back in about 1980 if they had been down the same path as the current U2. It's the experience that makes this song much stronger than it could have ever been in 1980.

Is it a perfect song? No. Does any song deserve such a thorough critique? No. What is the ultimate verdict of the song? Well I guess it's in how it touches you. If you feel flat after this song, then I am not sure how you could get excited about the album itself. Don't worry yourself over it, there are many bands and artists making all kinds of music, go search them out and see if you can find what you think you are missing. You probably can. But it won't be U2.

It doesn't have to be the best U2 song you've heard, or even the best U2 song you've heard in the last 5 years, but if it's good enough to get you excited about U2 and what they are up to, then it works. It doesn't need to be anything other than a catalyst to take you to that place where U2 is such a meaningful part of your life.

Beside reasons that are obvious and easily shared U2 are special for all the reasons you CAN'T explain. If Vertigo captures even some of that feeling for you, then it worked. It doesn't have to be anything other than that. U2 are mere mortals, but their music means more as the whole than the sum of it's parts. But it's just songs. The songs are meant to give you enjoyment, enlightenment, entertainment and reasons to belive in something other than yourself. A commune among fans, a feeling of knowing that we are all onto something that other people don't get.

Vertigo pushes the right buttons at the right time and I am not sure I could have expected more from U2 at this time. They are just trying to give you reason to feel better about everything. That's what U2 is, a catalyst for love, hope, spirituality and pure kinetic energy. That's the energy they still have. You would think their fans wouldn't have forgotten those feelings. This fan hasn't. I am reminded everytime I hear Vertigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom