Assayas' 'Bono: in Conversation' out 4/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolland

Forum Moderator
'Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas' comes out Thursday, 21 April (in the US). I had the opportunity to quickly skim a copy yesterday, and found the book far more interesting than the unpromising 'sneak previews' many of us saw suggested. It would be a shame if this one sank like a stone from bad marketing, so I thought I'd briefly recommend it here.

There are no pictures. The book consists of something like a dozen interviews, done over the course of several years; they are left in interview format, and Assayas briefly prefaces each one by describing the circumstances of that particular interview. The interviews are far more reflective, intelligent and interesting than the typical Rolling Stone-type interview.

The main focus is clearly Bono's political and philosophical ideas, views, and actions. There is also a substantial amount about his relationship with his father, and about his views on art, music and celebrity. There's very little about his private life.

There were also some brief but interesting observations about religious faith; the other band members; and assorted famous and not-so-famous friends of Bono's.

All in all, it was definitely--as the title suggests--a Bono book, not a U2 book. But even if, like me, you're really just a 'band fan,' this one looked plenty interesting, original and intelligent enough to be worth a close read.

Last edited:
@U2 has posted a couple of reviews of this book, including one they produced themselves. As well, they have an interview with Assayas which was conducted by one of their own staffers. Great stuff, and it sounds like a really excellent read.

Back
Top Bottom