ashlee and u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
If it's really obvious that there's more than one guitar (eg one 'strumming' chords and one sharp solo sound at the same time - like in Gone for example) then they'll strap a guitar around Bono's neck. Watch Bono, he'll completely stop playing and point at someone or grab the mic for a scream or whatever, while his guitar will still magically be playing. If the song requires the 'Bono' guitar to go nuts, he will double over, turn his back to the crowd, jump around, whatever, so it's not easy to see what he's doing, ie nothing or very little... I'm not saying Bono doesn't/can't play at all, just pointing out a trick they often use.

Actually, I think that trick is pretty rare. It often doesn't sound like it on official releases, but I have bootlegs where Bono is most certainly playing on some songs where people like to claim that he is not (Stay is a favourite example).

Personally, the one thing I HATE about U2 is that they are prepared to use these effects. There's a difference between Edge triggering a synth for Streets and a blatantly fake second guitar track being played over the top of what's already been played. I nearly gave up my fanship because of that once. I believe in four men in a room or on a stage. Get rid of all the other crap. That's not music, that's bastardisation. There's a reason I love pre-UF Tour bootlegs.

But ultimately, I love U2 and I can cope with them doing it.

I'd rather U2 use recordings of their own playing as background than the resort to numerous anonymous stand in musicians like some bands do.

On a funny note, my 4 year old thought Simpson's song was about pizzas, "pizzas, all those pizzas, all those pizzas and me" Call Weird Al! That would make a hilarious parody.

RocknRollKitty said:
I'd rather U2 use recordings of their own playing as background than the resort to numerous anonymous stand in musicians like some bands do.

On a funny note, my 4 year old thought Simpson's song was about pizzas, "pizzas, all those pizzas, all those pizzas and me" Call Weird Al! That would make a hilarious parody.

U2 does use anonymous stand in musicians, but they don't actually stand in - they play backstage.

Cheers,

J

LOL... jick is right, but they want people to seemingly believe its just three- four guys playing.

I'm not saying U2 should put out flyers and proclaim at every show they use sequencers, drum machines, backing tracks, and extra guitarists behind/ underneath the stage. It was a response to people such as Teta04 who say people who go to U2 concerts already know that they do the stuff they do. That's not a fact. There are people who don't know and the non-super fans who don't know. Edge also has a rep of having a full sound so people may just chalk the two guitar sound as being some Edge guitar trick.

Again U2 promotes that image of being a three piece making all that music. I don't mind anonymous guitarists/ players on the stage. IMO, U2 would probably just need one guy to do keyboards/ guitars for them to fully bring the album experience live and not a bunch of guys like some other bands.

As for Larry and the drum machine. Why doesn't he play it live and loop it or just rearrange the song to allow him to play both bits? Isn't it supposed to be a live show?

Look, I accept this U2 practice of backing tracks and pre-recorded bits. Hell, I would do it if I was in a band. However, U2 fans who are critical of Simpson and other artists that use backing tracks/ lip synching are showing a double standard IMO.

Last edited:
Of course U2 uses pre recorded sounds when they play live. But who doesn't? But actually this is something that IS U2, their big sound, filled with music. Some of you are probably fans because of this - for example ZOOTV. U2 plays with the technology and the equipment - it's their instrument. And it's one of the reasons I love them.

But you should be aware of a couple of things. And this is actually one of the reasons for why Edge is considered a genious of many people. U2 also improvises, and to play over a backing track is not very easy when you are improvising - for obvious reasons. Some of the recorded sounds is actually triggered live by The Edge. Edge is not just a guitar player, but he also play with the whole guitar system and the equipment. Some of the sounds we would expect to be a backing track, is often triggered by The Edge, and in this sense it's completely live. You've seen all those pedals, right? For example with "Still Haven't Found" - that orchesteral sound is triggered by the guitar (or played in some sense from the guitar).

And I think Dallas have enough to do besides playing for Edge or with Edge. He's the one (with Edge) that is giving Edges guitar the sound he wants - on the fly. Some people said a while back ago said that Edge doesn't even play the guitar when he's on stage, but that there is someone else playing back stage. Bullshit, of course.

jick said:

U2 does use anonymous stand in musicians, but they don't actually stand in - they play backstage.

Cheers,

J

Really? That seems tough on them. I don't think I like that. Couldn't they have them standing in a row at the back of the stage or something?

About the Ashlee Simpson thing, I know it's ancient news, even though I will be watching SNL tonight just to see if they ref it. It seems as if the walk-off and the blaming is what really hit her. But it did pull back the curtain on all of this, didn't it?

I would like Flying Fu or j. to tell me which songs they think they have someone playing guitar backstage. (and I'm not talking about the recent BBC performance).
tell me.

Well of course they use some backing on some songs---who doesn't? Most bands have to, and it has nothing to do with legitimacy, only with the fact that it would be hard for the Edge to play strings and guitar on kite, or pull out some brass for Stuck in a Moment, or work the synths on Streets, etc, etc.

But there is a huge difference here: U2 make and play all of their own music (well, of course, they have their producers, but you know what I mean). They actually play live. Bono is really singing, Larry is really drumming, Adam is really playing bass, and the Edge is really playing guitar. A random drum machine intro or rhythm guitar part added in for a specific song doesn't take away from that.

Ashlee doesn't play an instrument, doesn't write her songs (IMHO), did not work to get into this industry at all, and lip synchs completely. That this is compared with the fact that U2- like most bands- add some parts with tapes/additional guitarists on certain songs, is a little absurd. I understand you saying the superiority complex is kind of ridiculous, but the fact that they are even considered in the same realm of existance baffles me. She is not an artist, IMHO.

But she is a "pop artist" who was designed to make money and make people feel all happy inside---and I understand her place in the industry. There's nothing wrong with listening to a pop song if you like it, some are pretty catchy. Just please don't pretend like she has as much integrity as U2!

Only exception I took with it was the fact that, to be best of my knowledge, all acts on SNL have or were suppose to be done live. That's not to say some haven't slipped by me. But I"ve watched SNL since it's inception and have always believed they were singing/playing live.. That was all. and futher more the live music acts are about the only thing really look forward to seeing on SNL. Some of the skits/spoofs are still funny- at times...

that's true.

and I'm still waiting for some to tell me which tunes they believe have addtional guitar parts being played backstage....

....because they don't.
keyboard, and even percussion sequences, sure. have been since 1985. guitar? no. sorry.
(again, not talking about the latest BBC performances where they played to a tape).

VertigoGal said:
Well of course they use some backing on some songs---who doesn't? Most bands have to, and it has nothing to do with legitimacy, only with the fact that it would be hard for the Edge to play strings and guitar on kite, or pull out some brass for Stuck in a Moment, or work the synths on Streets, etc, etc.

But there is a huge difference here: U2 make and play all of their own music (well, of course, they have their producers, but you know what I mean). They actually play live. Bono is really singing, Larry is really drumming, Adam is really playing bass, and the Edge is really playing guitar. A random drum machine intro or rhythm guitar part added in for a specific song doesn't take away from that.

Ashlee doesn't play an instrument, doesn't write her songs (IMHO), did not work to get into this industry at all, and lip synchs completely. That this is compared with the fact that U2- like most bands- add some parts with tapes/additional guitarists on certain songs, is a little absurd. I understand you saying the superiority complex is kind of ridiculous, but the fact that they are even considered in the same realm of existance baffles me. She is not an artist, IMHO.

But she is a "pop artist" who was designed to make money and make people feel all happy inside---and I understand her place in the industry. There's nothing wrong with listening to a pop song if you like it, some are pretty catchy. Just please don't pretend like she has as much integrity as U2!

That was exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better than me :p

Back
Top Bottom