As stupid as it sounds: why are they called U2 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I am a big U2 fan, have a lot of records and bootlegs, posters, whatever you want.... but recently a friend asked me why are they called U2, and I went :huh:
I know there's a plane called U2 and that the word game is interesting: you too , but I really don't know why they are called U2, wha doesn't make me less of a fan, but still hurts not to know

as far as I know, the U2 was a u.s. spy plane from the 1960's. one got shot down over russia once. why is that important? bono was quoted in 1992 saying of zoo tv: "I love this beaming across borders; that's what u2 is all about".

I also thought it was meant as you-too.

I dunno...Bono said to Larry King he thought U2 was a submarine.

:shrug:

The most common theory is that they're named after the spy plane, but it could just be something they made up once, and decided to keep it. I also read that it's supposed to allude to the fans ("you too").

U2girl said:
I dunno...Bono said to Larry King he thought U2 was a submarine.

:shrug:

The most common theory is that they're named after the spy plane, but it could just be something they made up once, and decided to keep it. I also read that it's supposed to allude to the fans ("you too").

:yes: Yeah, I think it's sort of all those things. Ambiguous.

From my understanding, they were named U2 because it meant nothing. It translated across all languages and had absolutely no meaning attached to it. They wanted to give their name meaning, not for people to already have an idea in their head (for instance, not named "velvet underground" or "pink floyd"). It was nuetral.

and it's not a stupid question! :wave:

JOFO said:
as far as I know, the U2 was a u.s. spy plane from the 1960's. one got shot down over russia once. why is that important? bono was quoted in 1992 saying of zoo tv: "I love this beaming across borders; that's what u2 is all about".

I also thought it was meant as you-too.

lmao

i didn't think anybody would ever get this

possibly the reason they stay in america, but then again we wouldn't tell anybody we know there are spy planes by sending them down...

and U2 just sounds good, eh?

I definately don't think they intended for it to mean "you too". When Bono mentioned that aspect of it on Larry King he seemed embarrassed because that's just waaaay too cheesy. Anyway, he said the names crap and he doesn't like it. It originated from the spyplane...

oliveu2cm said:
From my understanding, they were named U2 because it meant nothing. It translated across all languages and had absolutely no meaning attached to it. They wanted to give their name meaning, not for people to already have an idea in their head (for instance, not named "velvet underground" or "pink floyd"). It was nuetral.

and it's not a stupid question! :wave:

:yes:
Wasn't the name suggested by an Irish rock and roller(I can't remember who), Adam was asking around, and this guy came up with the name. Adam was still their manager at the time
If I'd get off my butt and get my book, I could give you all the name, but I'm too sleepy just now.

I know why it was U2 I know I know oh me me me!!!

[knowledgeable head]

About a week before Bono was born a spy plane was shot down over the Soviet Union. the pilot (mr Powers) was captured and the bloke became some sort of I dunno what word im looking for thing in the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union and it was called the "U2 incident"

[/maybe i didnt sound that knowledagble]

thats In the Unforgettable fire book by Eamon Dunphy I'll have a look for it later and see if thats right

The U2 spy plane was shot down in the USSR on May 1, 1960, and was a major world news story for a few weeks after while the US and Soviet Union negotiated the fate of the pilot and plane.
Paul Hewson was born on May 10, 1960 right in the heart of this very volatile cold war incident.

Coincedence?

Small anecdote (don't think anyone will read this, I am Mr. Threadkiller after all): Looking at the R5 thingy made me remember the biggest boyband in my region is called F4, from Taiwan. And then there's 5566, which is fast overtaking them. And there's a1, from the UK. Anyway U2 is a cool name.

Back
Top Bottom