Are you under the impression that U2 is obsessed with the idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Passengers was U2s cocept album....and they should make another one when they are winding down their career...would be nice for another Passengers.

U2_Guy said:

Beautiful Day - nothing new about this one. Actually it's praised as U2's return to the "old coke sound"

Stuck - U2 does soul-pastiche. And U2 did soul b4 on I still havent found and others from the RH era.

In a little while (probably ATYCLB best song) - it's not new. Listen to some b-sides from RH era. It's old for U2.

Wild honey - U2 HAVE done many many pop songs b4: Sweetest thing being just one example.

Grace - it's a try to be ambient. It sucks. U2 did ambient loads better on UF, Zooropa, Passengers.

Sorry, but ATYCLB is nothing new.

The only "old sound" about Beautiful day was the Edge's riff in "teach me, touch me" part and nothing else.

No, U2 did blues on Rattle and Hum, NOT soul. And it's nothing like either Stuck or In a little while.

No, U2 didn't do pop songs before. Sweetest thing - the original version - isn't a pop song.

Grace - is different than UF, and certainly much different than Zooropa or Passengers. With a stretch of imagination, it could fit on MDH soundtrack.

ATYCLB has new sounds. Too bad if you can't notice them.

Folkelig said:
I read an article once, where Bono said that it would be the easiest thing in the world for U2 to go and make a consept album, or something. But, as long as Bono was in the band, he would make sure they stayed within the realms of mainstream.

Every U2 album till ATYCLB were concept albums to some degree, some less, some more conceptual.

And there's nothing wrong trying to be the best band in the universe.

If it comes naturally...

U2girl said:

The only "old sound" about Beautiful day was the Edge's riff in "teach me, touch me" part and nothing else.

No, U2 did blues on Rattle and Hum, NOT soul. And it's nothing like either Stuck or In a little while.

No, U2 didn't do pop songs before. Sweetest thing - the original version - isn't a pop song.

Grace - is different than UF, and certainly much different than Zooropa or Passengers. With a stretch of imagination, it could fit on MDH soundtrack.

ATYCLB has new sounds. Too bad if you can't notice them.

About R&H. Look for the b-side A Room at the heartbreak hotel. It's soul. It isn't blues.

U2 did loads of pop songs. I mean, loads. I guess we have different concepts of what "pop" means.

And Grace is a trying on being ambient. And it sucks big big time.

I know A room at the heartbreak hotel and I would not call it soul.

Yes, I guess we do.

Trying or not, it is still ambient sounding.

U2girl said:

The single "pop" version of Sweetest thing (as you say) is from 1998. And that is BEFORE ATYCLB...

U2girl said:
I know A room at the heartbreak hotel and I would not call it soul.

Trying or not, it is still ambient sounding.

U2 did ambient since UF... nothing new here.

I know Sweetest thing is from 1998, but I'm talking about 1987 original.

*sigh* Grace doesn't sound like anything on UF, but ok.

Last edited:
Sweetest Thing the original was recorded in the Joshua Tree sessions which would make it about 1986 :)

U2girl said:

We were discussing if U2 did pop before Wild Honey. They did: Sweetest Thing "pop single version" is from 1998. And ATYCLB is from 2000...

98 Sweetest thing is a remix of the 1987 song and that original version isn't pop. It may sound different with the violins and different voice, but it doesn't count as a "new" song.

So no, they didn't do pop before.

U2_Guy said:

Every U2 album till ATYCLB were concept albums to some degree, some less, some more conceptual.

And there's nothing wrong trying to be the best band in the universe.

If it comes naturally...

There is definitely a concept to ATYCLB, too. By that, I mean, lyrically speaking there is an overall theme to the album.

"Packin' a suitcase to a place none of has been....."

"leaving things behind".....suitcase in heart....heart-shaped ramp, etc.

The theme of ATYCLB was very realized. It's about relationships, being real, and leaving pretense behind and being consciously sincere.

ATYCLB isactually a good album wtf is the craic with people bashing it so often?

I can easily see the character in BD, Stuck, Kite, In a little while, Wild honey, New York. Thinking about moving on, family, friends, lovers, midlife crisis/affair?

Up to a point, that same person may very well be appearing in POE, WILATW and Grace, pondering the state of the world they're in.

(I didn't put in Walk on because that was dedicated to Aung Saan su Kyi and Elevation is a fun song, not necessarily with a point to make)

U2girl said:
98 Sweetest thing is a remix of the 1987 song and that original version isn't pop. It may sound different with the violins and different voice, but it doesn't count as a "new" song.

So no, they didn't do pop before.

98 version isn't a remix. It's a re-recording of the song with different bridge.

This is becoming boring...

Whatever you say from now on it's ok... Lady's always have to have the last word...

Last edited:
Now you're splitting hairs.

Yes, they added the violin, cleaned up the guitar part and Bono sang another vocal - so ok, it's a re-recording.

But that doesn't change the fact that the first version of that song was made in 1987, which has a very different impression on the listener.

What would you say about Bono and Adam's 1995 version of Tomorrow, then? That it erases the original from October?

U2girl + U2guy=BALANCE :)

Two completely different ends of the spectrum that brings us somewhere closer to the middle. I love it!!

U2girl said:
Now you're splitting hairs.

Yes, they added the violin, cleaned up the guitar part and Bono sang another vocal - so ok, it's a re-recording.

But that doesn't change the fact that the first version of that song was made in 1987, which has a very different impression on the listener.

What would you say about Bono and Adam's 1995 version of Tomorrow, then? That it erases the original from October?

It's amazing how far you are from the bottom line. And bottom line is: U2 DID a pop song (for me they made dozens) before ATYCLB and that is Sweetest Thing, doesn't matter if it's a remix or not.

believer75 said:
U2girl + U2guy=BALANCE :)

Two completely different ends of the spectrum that brings us somewhere closer to the middle. I love it!!
]

What end of the spectrum am i? LOL

Of course it matters if it's a remix, because it doesn't count as a new material/song like you say.

Bottom line is no, they didn't.

They remix plenty of songs on their singles (or the new mixes on the second Best of), and that doesn't make those songs new studio material.

U2girl said:
Of course it matters if it's a remix, because it doesn't count as a new material/song like you say.

Bottom line is no, they didn't.

They remix plenty of songs on their singles (or the new mixes on the second Best of), and that doesn't make those songs new studio material.

You keepmissing the point...

Pride is really pop... With or without you...and the list goes on...

Nevermind...

You are really stubborn girl!!!

U2_Guy said:
]

What end of the spectrum am i? LOL

I don't know...hahaha.

An amazing U2 cover song comes to mind, though.......NIIIIIGHT and DAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :)

It's fun to read BOTH of your perspectives.....neither is right or wrong....different....and that's why U2 is the best....they appeal to every one in different ways.

believer75 said:

I don't know...hahaha.

An amazing U2 cover song comes to mind, though.......NIIIIIGHT and DAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :)

Can i be the night??? Pleeeasssse! LOL

U2_Guy said:

You keepmissing the point...

Pride is really pop... With or without you...and the list goes on...

Nevermind...

You are really stubborn girl!!!

And you're not stubborn?

I thought we were talking about Sweetest thing. But ok:

how would Pride be pop? Electric guitar and drums all over, lyrics about Martin Luther King.

With or without you doesn't follow the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo/middle 8-end formula, and it's lyrics don't fit a pop song.

U2girl said:

And you're not stubborn?

I thought we were talking about Sweetest thing. But ok:

how would Pride be pop? Electric guitar and drums all over, lyrics about Martin Luther King.

With or without you doesn't follow the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo/middle 8-end formula, and it's lyrics don't fit a pop song.

Man... what a stubborn girl you are!:)

Look, what is pop for me isn't pop for you. Ok?

I bet you are taurus or scorpio...

Okay, I was all up in this conversation a while ago...look what a few hours can do...! Ha ha ha. In all honesty, I think that both U2_Guy (who I agree with a bit more) and U2Girl (who I don't agree with quite as much) are making some decent points--maybe, though, you're both splitting a few too many hairs a few too many times.

Here's what I've got to say about the current state of affairs in this thread...in case anybody's listening...

Songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind don't necessarily sound EXACTLY like anything else that U2's ever done--I'm not gonna' say some crazy shit like that. So U2_Guy, I think that it would be more productive to just say that the songs sound FAMILIAR and not worry about exact precedents and stuff like that; U2Girl, I'd have to say that you're right in that certain melodies and the like from, amongst others, "Beautiful Day" never came up in U2 songs before...but I'm not sure that that's totally on-topic. Sure, "Beautiful Day" doesn't sound EXACTLY like any other U2 songs (although "Elevation" just lifts the guitar riff from "Even Better Than The Real Thing" and "Walk On" borrows its feel from every mid-tempo track that band's EVER done....and now "Crumbs" borrows from that...!), but it sure as shit sounds a LOT like older U2. Chord progressions and the like aren't as important--nor are certain genres and that sort of this..."A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel" comes to mind in the context of this debate--as a lot of other stuff, you know? Same thing with "The Sweetest Thing"--it sounded new in '87 and, regardless of whether or not the "final" version is EXACTLY the same as that version (it isn't, but that's not too important), it still sounded dated (stylistically, not production-wise) when it was "finished" in '98.

The other important fact here, I think, is that regardless of how great this new album is...it sounds (I think, at least) more like the last album than it sounds like any others. To me, nothing on this album sounds even REMOTELY new... Some old elements are simply mixed up on only occasionally new ways--it sounds very nice, I enjoy it, but I don't think it sets the world on fire...that's all.

I would MUCH rather enjoy a U2 album like pretty much ALL their albums before the last one: one that DOES RELY on U2's past, but one that doesn't REST on it...! The three albums from the '90s all sound like U2...but they sound like a NEW U2 doing old things AND new things in NEW ways. The new album sounds like an old U2 (whether from four or fourteen or twenty or whatever years ago) doing old things with new production skills. New songs? Yeah. New lyrics? Yeah. New skills? Yeah. New sounds...? Hell no. There are some, but they're the exception--NOT the rule.

Sorry for rambling...! Just so much to think/talk about. This has, for the most part, been a good conversation, everyone...! Bravo. It joys me to see people thinking so critically on "both ends of the spectrum," as it were.

If you shout... said:
Okay, I was all up in this conversation a while ago...look what a few hours can do...! Ha ha ha. In all honesty, I think that both U2_Guy (who I agree with a bit more) and U2Girl (who I don't agree with quite as much) are making some decent points--maybe, though, you're both splitting a few too many hairs a few too many times.

Here's what I've got to say about the current state of affairs in this thread...in case anybody's listening...

Songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind don't necessarily sound EXACTLY like anything else that U2's ever done--I'm not gonna' say some crazy shit like that. So U2_Guy, I think that it would be more productive to just say that the songs sound FAMILIAR and not worry about exact precedents and stuff like that; U2Girl, I'd have to say that you're right in that certain melodies and the like from, amongst others, "Beautiful Day" never came up in U2 songs before...but I'm not sure that that's totally on-topic. Sure, "Beautiful Day" doesn't sound EXACTLY like any other U2 songs (although "Elevation" just lifts the guitar riff from "Even Better Than The Real Thing" and "Walk On" borrows its feel from every mid-tempo track that band's EVER done....and now "Crumbs" borrows from that...!), but it sure as shit sounds a LOT like older U2. Chord progressions and the like aren't as important--nor are certain genres and that sort of this..."A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel" comes to mind in the context of this debate--as a lot of other stuff, you know? Same thing with "The Sweetest Thing"--it sounded new in '87 and, regardless of whether or not the "final" version is EXACTLY the same as that version (it isn't, but that's not too important), it still sounded dated (stylistically, not production-wise) when it was "finished" in '98.

The other important fact here, I think, is that regardless of how great this new album is...it sounds (I think, at least) more like the last album than it sounds like any others. To me, nothing on this album sounds even REMOTELY new... Some old elements are simply mixed up on only occasionally new ways--it sounds very nice, I enjoy it, but I don't think it sets the world on fire...that's all.

I would MUCH rather enjoy a U2 album like pretty much ALL their albums before the last one: one that DOES RELY on U2's past, but one that doesn't REST on it...! The three albums from the '90s all sound like U2...but they sound like a NEW U2 doing old things AND new things in NEW ways. The new album sounds like an old U2 (whether from four or fourteen or twenty or whatever years ago) doing old things with new production skills. New songs? Yeah. New lyrics? Yeah. New skills? Yeah. New sounds...? Hell no. There are some, but they're the exception--NOT the rule.

Sorry for rambling...! Just so much to think/talk about. This has, for the most part, been a good conversation, everyone...! Bravo. It joys me to see people thinking so critically on "both ends of the spectrum," as it were.

You are saying it better than i did... Thanks for your input. The discussion was beginning to go away from my intial post. :)

I'm gonna have to say what I said in the other thread...which is Bono has got to such a level of influence over the African situation now, that he has to maintain his fame - because it is this fame - or as he puts it, "currency" - which he is trying to "spend" in order to save lives in Africa. Only Blockbuster albums will give him this currency. There are too many lives at stake for U2 to put out an "unsafe" album right now. I truly believe this is a huge factor as to why they're on their current path. Because it certainly isn't for the money. And I must say, I can't disagree with them.

Back
Top Bottom