Are you tired of the U2 "classics" being played live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
flameandthefire said:

Listen, I don't know how long you've been a fan of U2, but after reading your comment I don't think you can relate to us veteran fans. Let me tell you something.. I've seen/heard about 100 U2 gigs and I've had enough of Bullet The Blue Sky for a while because it's played on every f*king gig. I want to hear something else for a change!

Let's face it - the fact is that there's only a limited number of songs on the setlist. It's time to "sacrifice" Bullet The Blue Sky so another great song can enter the setlist!

I can't relate to you veteran fans? Who the fuck are you exactly?

u2bonogirl said:
dude, you dont have to be so mean. just because somebody hasnt been as priveledged as you to see 100 'f*cking' gigs doesnt mean their opinion deserves a "let me tell you something".

Mean? What the hell is that? Was I mean??? :hmm: Oh well, whatever. I didn't mean to attack anybody.

Bullet the Blue Sky has to stay. It is U2's most powerful live song. I would understand your comments if Bullet was the same as in 1987, but on every tour they turn the song in 180 degrees. Incredible. Elevation Tour versions(especially with the Mark Chapman rant) were breath-taking.

Here we go again...Relax everyone, it is just an opinion that may differ from your own. The question was are you tired of the classics being played live. Not that U2 should change it. It is a simple yes or no kind of question. No one expects U2 will change the show because of the die hard fans. It is a wish like everything else.

We all have different opinions of different songs but we need to stop fighting about it. Geez...

With a vast catalogue of songs and such rabid fans, there IS NO WAY for U2 to satisfy everyone. New fans who don't like the old stuff won't be happy, old fans who don't like the new stuff won't be happy, and there will always be someone mad because the guys didn't play that one obscure song that they've been waiting forever to hear!

However, I don't think I'm in the minority here to say that I don't care what they play - so long as it's a great performance and I'm within arm's length of the B-man. :wink: I think the problem lies in the fact that we all have our Ultimate Fantasy Setlist etched into our pysche, and like small children, we tend to get a bit testy when we don't get what we want. That has to be tempered with the reality, though, that there are 100000000s of other fans with their OWN fantasy lists that may be vastly different from yours. And that's why the choice of songs played and their nightly rotation is left up to the people that brought them to us in the first place - which is just the way it should be. :)

I say to U2: play whatever you want to play in whatever order you'd like. Makes no difference to me - just make sure you sing them all directly to me & no one else! :tongue:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jim said:

I can't relate to you veteran fans? Who the fuck are you exactly?

dude, don't even waste your energy....

there will always be the ONE or TWO "Veteran" fans who gets all wet talking about where they were when October was released and how they were the original "WAR Children" like its a right of passage...

listen, if U2's fan base didn't span multiple generations, then they'd fall down into the same grave as Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. All great bands, but go to one of their concerts more recently and its pathetic. The bands play all old sh*t while the crowd is a bunch of older fat drunk men and women trying to open a musical time capsule from way back when they were 18-19 years old and living in the wild 60's. Nostalgia....oh how cute.

Would you really want U2 concerts to turn to this?????

flameandthefire said:

Chill out dude. I obviously got you upset for a reason I do not understand.

No no no, it's my fault, really. Sadly, I've only been a fan since 1985 and been to a mere 10 concerts do I should think twice before commenting in your presence again. I'm truly sorry.

BluRmGrl said:
With a vast catalogue of songs and such rabid fans, there IS NO WAY for U2 to satisfy everyone. New fans who don't like the old stuff won't be happy, old fans who don't like the new stuff won't be happy, and there will always be someone mad because the guys didn't play that one obscure song that they've been waiting forever to hear!

However, I don't think I'm in the minority here to say that I don't care what they play - so long as it's a great performance and I'm within arm's length of the B-man. :wink: I think the problem lies in the fact that we all have our Ultimate Fantasy Setlist etched into our pysche, and like small children, we tend to get a bit testy when we don't get what we want. That has to be tempered with the reality, though, that there are 100000000s of other fans with their OWN fantasy lists that may be vastly different from yours. And that's why the choice of songs played and their nightly rotation is left up to the people that brought them to us in the first place - which is just the way it should be. :)

I say to U2: play whatever you want to play in whatever order you'd like. Makes no difference to me - just make sure you sing them all directly to me & no one else! :tongue:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Amen to that :up:

That said... I could do without Pride. Seriously. I don't even like the song that much - then again it could just be a phase, I used to love it...I never really liked ISHFWILF much either, though I don't think they played that one as much during Elevation. BTBS is great but I don't really care if they play it or not. If they play it, awesome. If not, cool. If U2 dropped Streets, One, SBS, UTEOTW or WOWY I would cry. Then again I'd just be happy to see U2 live again, they could play Usher's "Yeah!" and I'd be thrilled. Or the Itsy Bitsy Spider.

No.
(then again, I have a total of 0 U2 shows seen live)

It's impossible to skip the classics, because most of the audience aren't hardcore fans. It is possible they will do something like the last tour when I still haven't found...was played on the last leg of the tour and WOWY wasn't.

No I'm not tired of the Clasics but I mean I'd like to hear other songs get more attention. I'd like to hear songs like Lemon, WGRYWH, Fire, October, God's Country, The Electric Co., Exit. I mean a song like EXIT played live is mind blowing. I watched R&H again today and when they played Exit all I could think of was all the lossers who say U2 isn't a rock band. Yeah right.

I like whatever they play live, who gives a shit.
You pay $50-$100 for a ticket for a band you LOVE, not just for a band you like and like only a few good songs by. That's just ridiculous.

Don't know if this has been said but for me the main reason to go see U2 live is to see the new stuff being played. I thought when they played 7 straight new songs on the Zoo TV tour was a brilliant idea. Another thing is with the old records I like how they have changed them from tour to tour, like Bullet the Blue Sky and I will Follow sounded totally different on the Popmart tour. Giving the songs a new perspective. I know that I would like to see them playing more album tracks off previous albums and not just the known classics, songs like Love is Blindness, Exit, Dirty Day Ultra Violet, Miami etc...

Back
Top Bottom