Are you sure Bono's voice has improved?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got OOTS on constant repeat right now - Bono's voice is essential naked - only minimal piano background - guys that is freakishly hard to pull off and he did. That performance essentially told me that the man has no problems with his voice at all. Ask any other singer in any other band to do that with a new song (or even an older song) - you will not find a lot of takers

Disclaimer: i've been a bit of a critic of Bono's voice since Popmart and thought that he lost his high range and clarity on the Elevation tour.

While we haven't heard much so far, I think he sounds far less raspy than he did on the last album, tour and promos.

Bono had a hard time staying in key in the live performance of OOTS and was a little unsure of himself given that it's a new tune - that's all - sometimes he was out of key during the days when he belted Pride with no problem. His voice does sound strong and clear, which I think is a good sign. Also, Vertigo does test his range quite a bit and I don't think he could have sung this song that well during the last tour.

karl

actually the notes in vertigo that he hits are extremely high, actually even higher than the studio version of ISHFWILF. the fact that he can do that and do it well tells me that he's in really good voice.
i disagree about irving plaza, i think that that was an amazing concert and bono sounded really great and his voice had a unique quality to it that night that i've never heard before or after. however his voice still is better now.

It's not the same what can you do?. But theres one thing, when he sings slowly he can sound a little bit like he did in the 80s, for example the other day i was listening to the elevation rehearsal of wtshnn and he changed his voice right before the i wanna reach out part and you can tell the difference. Obviously if he sings slowly he has more control over his voice and he wouldn't sing like this live but i found it interesting.

It was predicted way back when Bono was quite young, that he'd eventually burn out his voice due to his soaring and quite forceful singing style. Compound that with 100's of shows over tours that have spanned a couple decades, and you quickly realize that his current vocal status should not come as a shock. Instead of worrying about it or debating about it, we should enjoy the time we have left with our fearless frontman while he still sees himself as capable to perform for us.

The band could play for ages; an instrument goes bad, just replace it. Bono's played the same instrument since day one. Give the man a break. :)

Back
Top Bottom