Are you gonna wait forever should have been on the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macphisto777

The Fly
Are you gonna wait forever should have been on the album. Can't stop listening to the song and the lyrics... Does anyone agree. I would trade vertigo for this song on the album. Replace it and listen in the song order. Vertigo shouldn't be left off the album either, but it should be song 2 right after Are you gonna wait.

Are You Gonna Wait Forever is a good song and one of U2's better B-sides, but I don't think it is good enough for the album. I love the raw sound, but I think the chorus is a bit cheesy...IMO it sounds like some cheesy Brian Adams song.

I think it could have developed into a song fit for the album (Maybe it did- we still haven't heard Fast Cars), but at this point, it isn't a strong enough song to stand along the rest of the tracks. It seems incomplete to me.

macphisto777 said:
OK. But I disagree. If any song is incomplete or rushed, it would be Yahweh. That song definitely needs development.

At first, I thought the same. I just couldn't get into Yaweh. However, after a bunches of listens, I've grown to really like it, and I also think it's a perfect album closer. The song structure seemed weird at first, but at some point the whole song just clicked with me.

As for AYGWF, I think it's an awesome b-side, but I can't think of any album track that I'd want to replace with it.

I agree and disagree with Macphisto. I fully believe that AYGWF was good enough for the album - but definitely not even close to replacing Vertigo (I love Vertigo, and it is a perfect rock'in lead single). I think the weakest track on the album, and there is really only one for me personally, is 'All Because of You', and I think AYGWF is just good enough to have replaced that track. ABOY, to me, is a very limpid rock song instrumentally, the chorus is hardly more 'un-cliched' than AYGWF, and it sounds like the most imcomplete song out of all the tracks thus far.

By way, Yawhew has been one of my favourite tracks from the get-go... it's funny and cool to see everyone's subjective viewpoint on this album, I guess it shows how people are hearing something different at different times.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

ImOuttaControl said:
Are You Gonna Wait Forever is a good song and one of U2's better B-sides, but I don't think it is good enough for the album. I love the raw sound, but I think the chorus is a bit cheesy...IMO it sounds like some cheesy Brian Adams song.

I feel exactly the same... I think it's a little too cheesy. I'm not keen on it.

You have to be kidding.
It's a nice B-side, but it's a B-side for a reason.

It's a leftover from ATYCLB, looks like the band agrees , it wasn't good enough to make either album. I doubt they spent much time on that song this time around.

Sorry, I'm glad you like it, I wish I liked it more, nothing like having a few b-sides to compliment an already good album. I couldn't tell you the last U2 b-side I actually liked. Probably something from Achtung. Holy Joe and Big GIrls are so-so, Summer Rain is really rough and Always is good, but it's the same song as BD, essentially.

Are You Gonna Wait Forever should have been the fourth song of the album. Love And Peace Or Else sticks out like a sore thumb and should have been b-side material.

Cheers,

J

U2DMfan said:
You have to be kidding.
It's a nice B-side, but it's a B-side for a reason.

It's a leftover from ATYCLB, looks like the band agrees , it wasn't good enough to make either album. I doubt they spent much time on that song this time around.

Sorry, I'm glad you like it, I wish I liked it more, nothing like having a few b-sides to compliment an already good album. I couldn't tell you the last U2 b-side I actually liked. Probably something from Achtung. Holy Joe and Big GIrls are so-so, Summer Rain is really rough and Always is good, but it's the same song as BD, essentially.

Walk to the water ! If you don't get this song as an amazing b- side that will forever be lost to belonging to an album, honestly you have no musical, emotional or artistic inclination... obviously. Are you gonna wait... seems so cheesy and unfinished to everyone? If you were to ask the band members, this song was obviously a struggle to let go of, to them this is not the shit that you describe it as or they wouldn't let you hear it at all. Do you write songs? I really doubt you do. The things you seem to be saying to a song writer, cut like a knife. If U2, anyone of them heard you(yes they would appreciate your honesty), they would inside be hurting that they bare their souls to people such as you. They want you to listen ... , not tear down every song that they write to your own subjective cynical thoughts. As an artist , my friends read my art as my diary because it is so honest. A song left off of a U2 album is U2s own struggle to conform. U2 makes no bad song that they will let you hear. As song writers at their level, there is seldom a track that isn't attached to one of them at a soul level. To let go of it from an album is to simply say that we must make a choice about which of our 20 children that we love the most.

jick said:
Are You Gonna Wait Forever should have been the fourth song of the album. Love And Peace Or Else sticks out like a sore thumb and should have been b-side material.

Cheers,

J

You're joking, right? :eyebrow:

Maybe I need to listen to it a few more times, but I don't even think it belongs in my b-side collection, much less on the album. U2 hasn't put out a b-side worth keeping since Pop.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

You're joking, right? :eyebrow:

No it is not a joke. I feel that Love And Peace doesn't musically and thematically fit into the album.

Cheers,

J

I have to admit it might not be as good as Holy Joe or Walk to the Water, but I liked it from the first listen. I love the first verse, we have to respect their decision not to put it out on the album.:(

BK

When I first heard "Are You Gonna' Wait Forever," I enjoyed it immensely. Now, after a bit of time has passed and I've let myself soak in the album's juices for a while....I would have to say that, yes, I do think that the song could have had a place on the album. In fact, it SHOULD have had a place on the album.

I don't think that any tracks need to be bounced in order to fit it in (although I could totally go without "A Man and a Woman," which makes me nauseous, regardless of any other songs being added or not); instead, I think that "Are You Gonna' Wait Forever" would fit PERFECTLY as track 11, followed by "Yahweh" as track 12. There's a free-wheeling, fun, VERY energetic quality to this song, and I really think that it would serve as a solid apex to the album's second half. I love how rushed and spontaneous it sounds...it reminds me of a good deal of my beloved outtakes from the Hansa sessions. I love the sound, I love the vocal performance, and I love the vibrancy of it all. This song would have changed the album's second half for the better and REALLY energized listeners before the album wrapped. I don't care if it sounds like a typical b-side....most of the other songs are overproduced, anyway, so fuck it. Get some balance, you know? Yin and yang.

AYGWF would have been a stain on this beautiful album. It is an interesting guitar driven track. Nothing special about it.

macphisto777 said:

Walk to the water ! If you don't get this song as an amazing b- side that will forever be lost to belonging to an album, honestly you have no musical, emotional or artistic inclination... obviously. Are you gonna wait... seems so cheesy and unfinished to everyone? If you were to ask the band members, this song was obviously a struggle to let go of, to them this is not the shit that you describe it as or they wouldn't let you hear it at all. Do you write songs? I really doubt you do. The things you seem to be saying to a song writer, cut like a knife. If U2, anyone of them heard you(yes they would appreciate your honesty), they would inside be hurting that they bare their souls to people such as you. They want you to listen ... , not tear down every song that they write to your own subjective cynical thoughts. As an artist , my friends read my art as my diary because it is so honest. A song left off of a U2 album is U2s own struggle to conform. U2 makes no bad song that they will let you hear. As song writers at their level, there is seldom a track that isn't attached to one of them at a soul level. To let go of it from an album is to simply say that we must make a choice about which of our 20 children that we love the most.

We don't have to all blindly love everything the band puts out. We can love and criticize what we choose...isn't that the point of having discussion forums?

By the way, I am a songwriter and I don't think the lyrics or the music is cheesy, but the melody of the chorus is, in my opinion, incredibly cheesy. BUT, I still listen to the song as it is catchy. This sounds like U2 covering Brian Adams.

Are You Gonna' Wait Forever; is this the song they played on the Elevation Tour for Bob H. (in London and Slane at least)?
If so, I've been waiting since of hearing a studio version of the song!

Does anyone have the file, or a snippet to share?

Last edited:
It's in the shop now:|
And would've fit nicely between
"Crumbs..." and "One Step Closer" I think
Joy to all

Especially the ending...it's kinda mixture between "Beautiful Day "and "Do You Feel Loved"...
Hope they play this live followed by "Beautiful Day"...

it's amazing how some of you speak of these songs like you know them for years ... "first i liked it, then i disliked it..." or you're too fast or i am too slow.

i am still building my first opinions about the songs after being listening for two days so i may evolve to another point of view, but my initial feeling is that crumbs is just a nice rock song to enjoy (despite the serious lyrics) with uninspired composition that could be from other band or artist (including bryan adams). probably are you gonna wait forever would do a better role in the album.

But ok, it's not the first time and probably not the last that we find b-sides better than album songs, so nothing wrong with that.

Great b-side, impressive work from the band with all the guitar driven rock songs! This song sounds like WGRYWH a bit, but definatly sounds like it came from Hansa Studio outtakes!!!!

ImOuttaControl said:

We don't have to all blindly love everything the band puts out. We can love and criticize what we choose...isn't that the point of having discussion forums?

By the way, I am a songwriter and I don't think the lyrics or the music is cheesy, but the melody of the chorus is, in my opinion, incredibly cheesy. BUT, I still listen to the song as it is catchy. This sounds like U2 covering Brian Adams.

You really must have hated " Sweetest Thing"!

Back
Top Bottom