Are you afraid of what U2 could become?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we get head fucks like The Fly and Lemon again? Or will they lapse into coffee table balladry like so many former greats? I have confidence U2 can buck the trend of artists getting worse as they get older, but what do you all reckon?:huh:

Whats The Story? said:
the trend of artists getting worse as they get older

Like who?

I'm not being smart ass either, I just am curious as to which artists you think have done this.

John Lennon, Macca, Sting, Oasis, The Stones, The Who, etc all got worse with time..I think its a fairly well accepted fact that bands/artists lose that bite and vitality as they get older.:) However, I do believe U2 can avoid this pitfall due to their youthful attitude, willingness to embrace new ideas etc etc. My question is what do YO think will happen?:hyper: :)

i want to believe , i really do , that U2 will still make great rock'n'roll songs like The fly , Lemon , Last Night On Earth , Zooropa , Numb ...so far there is no evidence of that , thier last cd was full of coffee table stuff , and i dislike too much from 2001 and 2002 by U2 , perhaps cause i don't like thier new style , they are still U2 to me , however the last album by them is the only album from which i don't want to hear a single tune on thier next tour . I'm sorry but 90's by U2 were so great , that all thier material from 00's looks kinda old , grey , amateurish . For example the new version of the fly from Boston DVD , it's much more simple then the original , special effects are a parody of 93 sydney style , and bono's voice is cracking .

IMO, U2 has been getting better and better, and I feel that they will continue to. As long as they keep doing what they love and are satasfied with it...I'll probably keep on liking it, as that is how U2 has always operated.

I don't believe The Stones have been getting worse though...so...yeah...it's all just a matter of opinion. :)

Re: Re: Are you afraid of what U2 could become?

Bonochick said:

Like who?

I'm not being smart ass either, I just am curious as to which artists you think have done this.

Paul Mccartney
Michael Jackson
Billy Idol
Lou REED
Beatles

I liked ATYCLB, but its not a direction I'd like them to further, (too many ballads) I also thought POP was good too... Beautiful Day and Elevation showed they could still move their sound around a bit, so I'm hopinh the next album is more in the vein of those two songs.:drool:

Re: Re: Re: Are you afraid of what U2 could become?

pinkfloyd said:

Michael Jackson

I agree with you there.

I am hesitant to comment on some of the other artists listed, as I am not very familiar with them (I don't know enough to give an opinion!).

One thing that disturbs me a little bit is Edge saying that he doesn't thik The Fly has aged wel enough for the Best-Of...That song still sounds cutting edge and weird to me. I really hope they continue to look at new ideas.

No.
It's true that artists tend to lose their edge (heh) as they age, but I have confidence in U2 to still make great music.
Even if it is coffee-table.
Just because an artist isn't making hard rock tunes anymore doesn't mean they've gotten worse, IMO. Just because you (you as in any of you general, not you as in you-singular) don't like it doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to... it's a matter of personal preference.

I also think Lennon's last album was his greatest.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that they'll see a thread like this and feel obligated to do something weird just to prove to you guys they aren't old, and in the process make complete laughingstocks of themselves. :rolleyes:

Face it- U2 are older now, and the happy, rich older man makes a different kind of music. I'd rather they be themselves than try to act like something else that isn't them. I hope they don't try to prove anything to you few disgruntled whiners. They have nothing left to prove. If you don't like their albums, go buy the work of someone younger, angrier and hipper. U2 won't miss you and neither will I. :tsk:

Just don't expect things...U2 changes constantly, music as well as ideas...to "expect" The Fly or another Lemon is setting people up for a disappointment, 'cause it's been done before. Part of the greatness of those songs was the fact that it was entirely different from previous U2 endeavors. Me personally, if the tunes are great, songs wonderful, I have no problem w/ them whether or not it's another Achtung Baby coming out.

Desire4Bono said:
The only thing I'm afraid of is that they'll see a thread like this and feel obligated to do something weird just to prove to you guys they aren't old, and in the process make complete laughingstocks of themselves. :rolleyes:

Face it- U2 are older now, and the happy, rich older man makes a different kind of music. I'd rather they be themselves than try to act like something else that isn't them. I hope they don't try to prove anything to you few disgruntled whiners. They have nothing left to prove. If you don't like their albums, go buy the work of someone younger, angrier and hipper. U2 won't miss you and neither will I. :tsk:

Moron.

So we can'have opinions now..great.:rolleyes: I already said that I think U2 can continue to evolve! I'm not slamming them! Try and read the post properly next time.:yes:

if they have nothing left to prove , why they're still a band??? for money cause Only ?
don't you worry , i won't miss a bit , while you will waste your time and your $$$$ on them .
Last album by Lennon was ok/mediocre , very medium album , i prefer shaved fish or official 'Legend' best of .

and i'm not asking U2 to make another AB or Zooropa , or another The Fly , lemon etc etc ...they still have firepower , maybe ...let's wait and see . But i can't close my eyes on the fact that i disliked 75 % of thier work in 2001 , 2002 . it was good . but feeling of an ultimate rock band that can destroy all barricades between people , rock the planet is lost .

What would be cool is if they collated loads of the songs they've never used from their various eras and made a double album. Voila! U2's White Album. I'm sure theres plenty of unreleased gems out there.:)

pinkfloyd said:
and i'm not asking U2 to make another AB or Zooropa , or another The Fly , lemon etc etc ...they still have firepower , maybe ...let's wait and see . But i can't close my eyes on the fact that i disliked 75 % of thier work in 2001 , 2002 . it was good . but feeling of an ultimate rock band that can destroy all barricades between people , rock the planet is lost .

I see...I just don't understand what was so "bad" about recent work that makes people criticize it. In fact, I think this last album did more to "destroy barricades between people" than AB or POP before it (although I love both of those albums). It was a great album, very listenable, but also very deep at the same time. I just feel that different ideals and thoughts (musical and oter) go through these guys heads, and U2 will always continue to define themselves based on their own thoughts and efforts...thus, as long as their music is still relevant and good, nothing should be held against them if their sound isn't as heavy or "rockin" as other albums.

Indeed! Imagin songs from all eras tied together in one vast album, could be great!!! I'm so excited to see what they are gonna do next.:drool: :drool: :drool:

Whats The Story? said:

Moron.

So we can'have opinions now..great.:rolleyes: I already said that I think U2 can continue to evolve! I'm not slamming them! Try and read the post properly next time.:yes:

Right back at ya MORON!

I'm tired of you and some of the other broken records like yourself and Pink Floyd's constant expressing of the same redundant, worn out "OPINION" that U2 are old, slow, and not what you want them to be. You say you are fans but only if they do what YOU want, poor baby! What I'm saying, is, I'm sick of hearing all this bitching. U2 has done something every one of us has liked or not liked and will continue to. I see no point in keeping this crap up. By now we all know who hates Pop, ATYCLB, and who thinks they are old and slow and you want them to 'rock' or whatever. I just think if you are that unhappy with this band perhaps you should find another band you are happier with instead of trying to change U2 to suit your agenda.

It' s really really OLD :banghead:

Erm..considering I haven't even been posting here that long I don't know what you think you are talking about.:) To your points, I don't think you can read because I said that I LIKED ATYCLB! I'm just asking people basically what they think about the future of U2, which is better than you burrowing your head in the sand....

:)

Last edited:
its that time of the week

another innovative love the band and have no opinion vs. U2 would want me to have an opinion argument.

Re: its that time of the week

kobayashi said:
another innovative love the band and have no opinion vs. U2 would want me to have an opinion argument.

Its not about "u2 wanting me to have an opinion"....People do have minds of their own you know. Try and use yours.:)

Last edited:
Whats The Story? said:
Its not about "u2 wanting me to have an opinion"....People do have minds of their own you know. Try and use yours.:)
please stop the name-calling. no more calling people morons, insinuating other members are stupid, etc.

you said you haven't been posting that long yet you joined in august 2001. :scratch:

you should know the rules by now, and especially know to listen when a mod (bonochick, kobayashi) speaks.

KhanadaRhodes said:

please stop the name-calling. no more calling people morons, insinuating other members are stupid, etc.

you said you haven't been posting that long yet you joined in august 2001. :scratch:

you should know the rules by now, and especially know to listen when a mod (bonochick, kobayashi) speaks.

I registered back then but didn't post until a few months ago.:) I thought it was a free speech forum around here. I also did not realise mods were talking to me.

Hi mod mafia!:wave: ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom