Are U2 yer No1, if not, who is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoobaby14 said:
INXS come at a close second place

I'm guessing you mean INXS with Hutch.:wink: INXS are another band that belongs in that group I've got just behind U2.

Axver said:

Oh, I'm plenty up to date - but mainly with the underground. The "best of 2007" lists I saw feature bands that are actually good, like Porcupine Tree and Alcest. If a dying pig for a vocalist is what passes for popular these days, then I'll stick with my obscure music!

Please don't tell me you think Porcupine Tree are better than Kings of leon? oh my god!!!!!!! Porcupine would'nt even sell out a 1,000 club here in UK!

andyuk said:

Please don't tell me you think Porcupine Tree are better than Kings of leon? oh my god!!!!!!! Porcupine would'nt even sell out a 1,000 club here in UK!

Please don't tell me you're basing talent on ticket sales? If this is the case then Hannah Montana is the most talented act in the US right now...

elevated_u2_fan said:

Please don't tell me you're basing talent on ticket sales? If this is the case then Hannah Montana is the most talented act in the US right now...

Looking at the rest of the US music scene she just might be :wink:

andyuk said:

So what? Music tastes, in my opinion, are subjective anyway, and if Axver likes Porcupine Tree and andyuk likes Kings of Leon, so be it. The point of music is how it moves you on a personal level, not based on album or ticket sales.

Last edited:
MY TOP TEN

1) Depeche Mode
2) Steely Dan
3) Pink Floyd
4) U2
5) R.E.M.
6) The Rolling Stones
7) Radiohead
8) Led Zeppelin
9) Tori Amos
10) Pixies

BonoManiac said:

So what? Music tastes, in my opinion, are subjective anyway, and if Axver likes Porcupine Tree and andyuk likes Kings of Leon, so be it. The point of music is how it moves you on a personal level, not based on album or ticket sales.

well obviously music tastes are subjective, how could they not be? It's taste, it's what you like personally...everyone is different. It's interesting though...can you judge the quality of music based on how it moves you personally? I'm not so sure...in any case, the music that moves you the most is most likely your favorite music...but that doesn't necessarily make it "better" from an artistic perspective (in terms of quality)...in other words, just because music moves you personally doesn't make that music better than something that doesn't do much for you...I think there is an objective aspect to music...

hey has any one heard of a band called Phish? I'd be interested in what you think of them if you've been listening to them for awhile...I heard a few songs for the first time last night, they have a funky style...they are very very talented...

Axver, to be honest, I hadn't heard of Porcupine Tree until you mentioned them in this thread...I gave them a listen, first song I listened to was Lazarus- beautiful sound! I'm impressed...I'm going to listen to a little more material I think...

As far as U2 is concerned, they are simply magical...their technical ability is sort of beside the point- we won't come across a band like U2 for a long, long time because it's so rare that 4 guys grow up together, stay good friends their entire life and continue to make music...they have created an unbreakable chemistry I can't describe that will always be seen in their music...

Rob33 said:
well obviously music tastes are subjective, how could they not be? It's taste, it's what you like personally...everyone is different. It's interesting though...can you judge the quality of music based on how it moves you personally? I'm not so sure...in any case, the music that moves you the most is most likely your favorite music...but that doesn't necessarily make it "better" from an artistic perspective (in terms of quality)...in other words, just because music moves you personally doesn't make that music better than something that doesn't do much for you...I think there is an objective aspect to music...

I never really cared for what was artistically "better", but rather what sounds good to my ear. That, to me, is the most important thing, rather than saying, "Oh, wow, I can't believe you like (insert band or song, for that matter, here)!! They suck! [So and so] is so much better!

It just seems that too often people denigrate others for liking a particular band or song. Who cares what others like? All that matters is what you like.

BonoManiac said:

I never really cared for what was artistically "better", but rather what sounds good to my ear. That, to me, is the most important thing, rather than saying, "Oh, wow, I can't believe you like (insert band or song, for that matter, here)!! They suck! [So and so] is so much better!

It just seems that too often people denigrate others for liking a particular band or song. Who cares what others like? All that matters is what you like.

yes I agree with you, what matters most is what gets inside you the most and makes you stop and think...the music that moves you personally is the most important thing. I am simply speaking in terms of quality...rather than what is most moving- but yes I understand what you're saying completely

CTU2fan said:

I'm guessing you mean INXS with Hutch.:wink: INXS are another band that belongs in that group I've got just behind U2.

Of course!

Thats when INXS where a band worth liking.
Nothing that new guy does can compare to their music back then.

When U2 have an album out they are my favourite artist.. as I get older that is kind of changing a bit..

Nine Inch Nails would be my favourite at the moment when U2 aren't.

Arcade fire are pushing there way into the fold though.. they will need a few more decent albums for that to happen though :D

U2 are definately my all time favourite!

All though at the moment, they're very closely followed by The Kings of Leon, The Killers and Bob Dylan...but not matter who is next on the list, I always come back to U2! They're incredible! what can I say!

Back
Top Bottom