Are U2 yer No1, if not, who is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 is my No. 1 for life, but not by the huge margin they had a few years back.

Bruce Springsteen is No. 2 for me. He used to be No. 1 many years ago, but then I heard U2 for the first time.

intedomine said:
U2 have been pretty solid at number one since about '02.

Position 2 has been occupied by Live (former £1 and £2 during 02-04), Oasis (05-mid07) and more recently Travis (mid07 onward)

Forgot about Live, they're a great band. That's the thing with threads like this...I'm always going "oh yeah, Live" or "oh yeah, Depeche Mode" or "oh yeah, the Pogues" or "oh yeah, Black 47" etc.

This is my list...I don't see it changing any time soon...this covers the music I have been most into most of my life

1. U2 (by faaaaarrrr)
2. R.E.M.
3. Eric Clapton
4. Bob Dylan
4. Bright Eyes
5. Ryan Adams
6. Sage Francis (underground rap, the very best IMO)
7. Beatles

I have a longer history with U2 (24 years) as opposed to Fiona Apple (13 years) but hands down, I love Fiona more.

i will always be a super fan boy. i mean, probably because i am 30 years old now and i was only 15 when i super got into them. meaning they were the first band that i just totally got into.. buying books about them, saving up money to buy all their cds etc. so it's like a weird love affair.. or it's like the first girlfriend you wont ever really get over i guess.

My #1 is U2, but just by a hair. Listening to the same stuff over and over is taking it's toll on me. Foo Fighters are at #2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers at #3.

the cure
u2
utada hikaru
depeche mode
nin
metallica
concrete blonde
ayumi hamasaki
3-1.jpg

U2 is my #1
I do think it's mostly because of their live performances and that I find it very interesting to see the way they evolve

U2 are still my number one, have been for over 20 years when I was a kid,and always will be but there isn't such a big gap between U2 and the rest anymore, for a variety of reasons.

but anyway,

my top lot are

U2

radiohead

Bowie

white stripes,

arcade fire

hendrix

jonny cash

The Pogues

Air

Massive attack

The cardigans

Primal scream

Kraftwerk

Joy Division

Beatles,

Stones

Axver said:
Porcupine Tree are fairly safely my #1.

1. Porcupine Tree
2. Pure Reason Revolution
3. The Shadows
4. U2

Any album in particular you'd recommend to me by Porcupine Tree?
I've heard a lot of good things about them.
No Dream Theatre?

An Cat Gav said:
Any album in particular you'd recommend to me by Porcupine Tree?
I've heard a lot of good things about them.
No Dream Theatre?

I think either Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun are most likely to appeal to U2 fans. That said, In Absentia is their most popular. And I'm sure anybody who appreciates Animals/Wish You Were Here era Pink Floyd would enjoy The Sky Moves Sideways.

Dream Theater probably ranks about 7th these days. I hate their latest, Systematic Chaos, so much that in comparison, I adore Achtung Baby.

I've been ranking U2 as my number one band for fifteen years - not just my number one, but the number one, period. I'm a habitual analyzer, and I thought about the question to a point beyond excess. And like a true believer, I proselytized. Several years ago a friend of mine threw a party where none of the guests knew one another. Each person was asked to write a word or phrase on a nametag that would sum up who they are, and when I couldn't think of anything, my friend grabbed a marker and wrote "U2." And I didn't argue.
When I was thirteen - around the time I got into U2 - I didn't know much about music. I loved bands that I have since come to dislike, bands like Jefferson Airplane, Soul Asylum, REM, the Dead, the Doors. As I grew older and I learned more about music - and as I was introduced to jazz and classical music - I came to recognize that U2 were actually quite medicore from a technical point of view; but even then, as my tastes and my education expanded, my love for the band never wavered. U2 for me were always been the band in which everything came together in a way that it never did in any other group. Sure, Radiohead might be better in some ways; Pearl Jam might be superior in others; but they were all missing something that was more important than what U2 lacked.
The thing is, now, at twenty-eight, when the most formative years of my life as a fan should be behind me, I find myself questioning that view. And I find, to my amazement, that the whole idea of ranking leaves me cold. I just don't care anymore. I care about perfection; I just don't care about ordering.
There are three bands who to me stand apart from all others: U2, Radiohead, and Zeppelin. Past that, I could give you a list of artists who move to me wonder and tears, but no one really wants to read other people's lists - or at least, not my lists. So, to answer the original question, U2 are not my number one, but no one else is, either.

1. U2 by far
2. Muse
3. Bruce Springsteen
4. Queen
5. Arcade Fire

Honorable mentions:
The Cure, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, David Bowie, NIN, White Stripes, Bob Marley, Nightwish, INXS, Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd, Audioslave, Guns N' Roses, Primal Scream, Beck

U2 are always my No1 band but i always have a favourite band of the moment which changes every few months these bands over the pat 2 years have been:-

Kings Of Leon
Editors
Muse
Killers
Coldplay

Hell yeah! U2 are not only numerb one but also number two and three.

The rest: I listen to an embarassing varied range of artists, from Duran Duran to Pearl Jam, from Madonna to The Cure, Radiohead I think are pretty high rank too, Muse are super, I listen to loads of radio hence lots of proper pop. I could never stop listing.

But U2 are always there, top of the mountain.

andyuk said:
U2 are always my No1 band but i always have a favourite band of the moment which changes every few months these bands over the pat 2 years have been:-

Kings Of Leon

Ah, so you were the one person who thought they were a good idea for an opener for U2, eh? :wink:

Axver said:

Ah, so you were the one person who thought they were a good idea for an opener for U2, eh? :wink:

Where have you been for the last 12 months Axver? Kings of Leon have developed into one of the top acts in the world! they have sold out 15,000 arenas all over the UK and all the best of 2007 lists has their album in the top 5/6 albums of the year Maybe you should get a bit more upto date with the latest music scene!

Last edited:
andyuk said:

Where have you been for the last 12 months Axver? Kings of Leon have developed into one of the top acts in the world! they have sold out 15,000 arenas all over the UK and all the best of 2007 lists has their album in the top 5/6 albums of the year Maybe you should get a bit more upto date with the latest music scene!

Oh, I'm plenty up to date - but mainly with the underground. The "best of 2007" lists I saw feature bands that are actually good, like Porcupine Tree and Alcest. If a dying pig for a vocalist is what passes for popular these days, then I'll stick with my obscure music!

U2 = #1 since 1987.

Other faves include:

Afro Celt Sound System
Rush
Tears for Fears
a-ha

Back
Top Bottom