Are U2 -- unquestionably -- once again 'The Biggest Band In The World"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Up until Pop and Popmart, U2 was pretty much considered to be the biggest band in the world. There were contenders, such as Pearl Jam, REM and Oasis....but when it boiled down to it I think everyone knew the crown belonged to U2. They definitely lost it after the dissapointing sales of Pop and Popmart. Have they unquestionably gained the crown back? Is there any other band in the world that can realistically lay claim to being the "The Biggest Band in The World?"

They are, if for no other reason than the fact that they have no competition.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
They are, if for no other reason than the fact that they have no competition.

Exactly.

I'm into short posts tonight
biggrin.gif

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

They are for two reasons! 10.5 million copies sold of ATYCLB over the course of a year, more than any other band worldwide during the same time frame. A world tour this year that has GROSSED almost 150 million dollars since March 24, 2001, more than any other artist, solo or group!
There might be a particular country or region where they are not number 1, but WORLDWIDE based on the numbers, they have the crown again.

There is no doubt - they are again the World Champs..although I never think they really lost it...they were in their fat "Rocky" years...now they just beat Drago, and have a new confidence I hope translates into one ass-kickin', rock n rollin' of a new album...

Please keep inviting Eno and Lanois into the room boys - all the colors come out after the FLood (and Howie B)...

But what about Creed guys?
wink.gif

U2 is definitely the biggest band in the world. It seems like everywhere I turn, I see or hear something about U2. It's such a great feeling!

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Creed have done well in the USA, Australia, and Canada, but are basically unknown everywhere else. Most people in the world would answer the question by saying. WHO?

Originally posted by STING2:
Creed have done well in the USA, Australia, and Canada, but are basically unknown everywhere else. Most people in the world would answer the question by saying. WHO?

HAHA! I was kidding about Creed. I fucking hate them!

------------------

from here, the Mediterranean capital, Barcelona...I say..who are Creed?
I swear I have never listen to them...

Hey!

i quite agree....but isnt being the "biggest" band in the world a bit off? I remember back in 1987, (yes back in 1987!) that Bono once said that he doesnt believe in being the biggest band in the world but in being the best in the world....

Fast forward to Elevation tour and I believe it still applies to U2 being the best band in the world....in my opinion.....they are the best live band in the world....no doubt about that....

But I dont really believe in the label of "the biggest band in the world" being applied to a band like U2 cos, correct me if Im wrong, that wouldc clearly imply that they have sold a lot more albums than any other band in the world which I think they havent...have they?

Put simply - U2 - Best live band in the world is a better label than being the biggest in the world...

Thats my pennys worth.....

dougal

This whole 'Biggest Band' ting can be so blown outta proportion or even critized biggie time.....I mean, loads of artists are up there in the 'big' main spotlight, like Cher, U2, Madonna, but can one necessarily be bigger than the other? (unless one stands on stilts or a stepladder)

Anyway......think of this 'Big' ting as the equivalent of two balls - one little tiny ball and one huge ultra-mega ball, sure sure, the huge one is bigger, but it doesnt necessarily mean its the biggest huh? - after all the smaller one can bounce higher............
wink.gif

Ya get my meanin?

biggrin.gif

Biggest Band in the World = Critical and popular acclaim. U2 have it? I dunno, music is so fractured these days. So many artists and genres. But they are making like Madonna and being all over the TV amd magazines which is another key component. Best band = one's own taste.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Biggest band? No way. Sorry, but N'Sync is much bigger. Trust me, no one wants to admit this less than I do, but they are the biggest "band" in the world right now.

U2 is arguably the biggest rock band in the world, but rock has taken a backseat to pop as of late. However, even in the "rock" category there could be an argument made for other bands. Creed is up there, although their latest album really sucks, and I think they're only months away from being has-beens. Radiohead also is a strong candidate, but they are so far out there that they lose a lot of potential listeners too; it's a close call. However, love them or hate them, DMB is probably the biggest competition U2 has right now for biggest rock band. I don't particularly like their studio work, but they are incredible musicians, and it could be that they are more popular than U2 at this point in time.

U2 was the biggest up until ZooTV because they lacked the one thing that stifles them now: age. No matter how good you are, there is something bad about being over 40 in the music industry; it affects your career in a negative way, regardless of how good you are. Consequently, there is a huge group of kids who will not give U2 a chance because they are "some old group from the 80's".

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 12-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 12-04-2001).]

Sure. Can you make an argument for anyone else? I didn't think so.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by Se7en:
exactly.

Wow. Happy Fucking Holidays to you too!

Next time I want to answer one of your questions, I'll make sure I ask permission.

coughassholecough

------------------

DMB are nothing in Europe I have never heard them on the Radio. They did one gig in London 6 weeks ago to 300 people. They would play less than 1000 seaters in Europe.

U2 are the biggest at present N Sync are on the slide and have had trouble selling out gigs last summer, the bubble is bursting for Britney to. U2 sell more albums than them both. Radiohead are closest or REM.

U2 need to get to Asia/Australasia ans S. America in the next 18months.

I never questioned that they weren't (the biggest AND best). And they are more relevant now than ever. $160 million can't be wrong. The ageism thing is a shame, though. Some people won't give them a chance because they're past 40 and were big in the 80's. IMHO, they've never been better and I still believe the best is yet to come.

one more thing: creed sux and if you haven't heard of them, you're not missing one damn thing!

ZOOCOUSTIC,
You have a lot to learn about the International scene. ATYCLB debuted at #1 in 32 countries around the world! N'Sync only debuted at #1 in 2, USA and Canada. Remember that 2/3 of all records sold are sold outside the USA in the music business.

N'Sync latest album as shipped 6.5 million worldwide.
U2s ATYCLB has sold 10.5 million worldwide!

Outside of North America N'SYNC can only play clubs and Theaters. They played Stadiums in the USA, but most of their shows failed to match the numbers put up by POPMART back in 1997. I've got all the stats for most of the shows.

U2 is of course a Stadium Band that did an Arena tour this year. U2 can sellout Stadiums on every Continent on the Planet. The POPMART TOUR sold 4 million tickets and GROSSED 171 million worldwide. Far more than anything N'SYNC or Dave has done.

U2 topped both DMB and N'SYNC in for the highest Grossing tours this year. DMB's new album has only sold 3 million copies worldwide with nearly all of that figure in North America.

One could argue that N'SYNC are the biggest band in the United States, but thats it. Were talking about the WORLD here which is a hell of a lot bigger than the USA.

In fact, there are a large number of artist both Solo and Group that are more popular than N'SYNC and Dave worldwide. Outside of the United States and Canada, not many people know who N'SYNC and Dave are.

U2 are the best band with out question, but this question was about biggest, and the FACTS answer that question easily.

Many Americans have the problem of thinking because its popular here it must be popular everywhere. That could not be further from the truth. There are many difference in taste and buy habbits of consumers worldwide. Its difficult for many artist to be so successful everywhere and most are not. U2 is one of only a handfull of artist, and probably the only active artist, that can top the Album chart in every country in the world that has a chart.

Back
Top Bottom