Are U2 taking the Piss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liesje said:

Yeah, well, like I said, a plain T has a simple design and no pattern with words. The (RED) shirts have words on them and are made at special factories using special dyes and materials. Why would they be the same price?

If it bothers you that much, but the plain T and donate $28 to charity :shrug:

No it doesnt bother me at all. Its a great cause.

They have shirts aside from the ones with the writings of inspired and such..just plane ones that are still a red product....those are what i was explaining and what I bought.

rjhbonovox said:
the Rocker in question is reportedly spending 8 million on a new Yacht and in the next breath spouting on about everyone not giving enough to Africa. Maybe the 8 million he's spending on his new yacht could have gone to Africa!

:blahblah: :blahblah:

You know, just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. When are you gonna cough up any evidence of any yacht?

how do you explain this picture?

bonoyacht.jpg

thats right, you cant

kingofsorrow said:
i see a R&H type media backlash heading their way. which is great, because maybe they go back being U2 instead off trying to imitate U2.

because that's what happened after the R&H backlash...? :eyebrow:

kingofsorrow said:
i see a R&H type media backlash heading their way. which is great, because maybe they go back being U2 instead off trying to imitate U2.

Well said. I hope it happens too so that they don't continue thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

kingofsorrow said:

Eh? From what I remember, the R&H backlash helped instigate the reinvention of the band that became Achtung & ZooTV. :scratch: After R&H, they did anything but go back to "being U2." They created a new U2---designed to be almost the exact opposite of what they were before. :huh:

Granted, I think the spirit of your post is right----I do think that the band is far too oversaturated and I think they're in store for a drop in critical acclaim...hopefully to spark a new reinvention. Better yet, I hope they recognize that themselves and preempt the criticism and bring about some big changes ahead of time.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
Eh? From what I remember, the R&H backlash helped instigate the reinvention of the band that became Achtung & ZooTV. :scratch: After R&H, they did anything but go back to "being U2." They created a new U2---designed to be almost the exact opposite of what they were before. :huh:

I don't think you really understood what he meant. :wink: He said 'maybe they go back to being U2 instead of imitating U2'. Being U2 = never doing the same thing twice, constantly evolving, constantly changing, experimenting with new styles etc. Imitating U2 = desperately trying to reclaim past glories and trying to go back down a path already traveled. At least that's how I think he meant it. :shrug:

Nonetheless, I agree. If they don't change direction with the next album, they might become stale.

Utoo said:
Granted, I think the spirit of your post is right----I do think that the band is far too oversaturated and I think they're in store for a drop in critical acclaim...hopefully to spark a new reinvention. Better yet, I hope they recognize that themselves and preempt the criticism and bring about some big changes ahead of time.

I thought you were more than satisfied with the sound of The Bomb. Or do you mean you are but still want change for the next album?

Zootlesque said:

I thought you were more than satisfied with the sound of The Bomb. Or do you mean you are but still want change for the next album?

I like Bomb, and I'll defend it against what I think are ridiculous accusals (selling out, made-for-mainstream, altogether weak, etc.). Still, I can recognize that it doesn't have a complete "album feel." In that regard, I think ATYCLB beats Bomb, even though I like the edgier side that Bomb showcases. I'd say that neither R&H, Pop, nor Bomb have the same flow & clarity of theme that War, UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and maybe October have.

Before you jump to quickly and nobly defend Pop, let me say this: It's a great collection of excellent songs..just like R&H & Bomb. But in terms of the "complete album feel" and clarity of theme, it's a schizophrenic collection of songs that can't decide if it wants to be a serious, heavy, emotional album covering heavy topics [Please, WUDM, SATS], or a sarcastic, almost playful take on pop culture [Miami, Discotheque, PB]. It's the same with Bomb. It's comprised of great songs, but yeah, you do kind of have to come up with a theme and sell yourself on it. I buy the "mature, reflecting" theme, but it's not totally there. The other albums beside Bomb, Pop & R&H, I believe, have a much clearer picture of what they're trying to achieve---you listen to those albums from start to finish and by the end you're left with a very distinct feeling.

I like the Bomb, and I'll defend it against what I think are silly, contrived arguments against it. But if in 10 years people are clinging to Bomb saying that it was a misunderstood masterpiece, I'll argue with them the same way I argue with people who cling to Pop like it was sent from God.

And in terms of a change....Yeah, I like Bomb a lot, but still want them to make a change. It's one of the things I love about U2.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

I like Bomb, and I'll defend it against what I think are ridiculous accusals (selling out, made-for-mainstream, altogether weak, etc.). Still, I can recognize that it doesn't have a complete "album feel." In that regard, I think ATYCLB beats Bomb, even though I like the edgier side that Bomb showcases. I'd say that neither R&H, Pop, nor Bomb have the same flow & clarity of theme that War, UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and maybe October have.

Before you jump to quickly and nobly defend Pop, let me say this: It's a great collection of excellent songs..just like R&H & Bomb. But in terms of the "complete album feel" and clarity of theme, it's a schizophrenic collection of songs that can't decide if it wants to be a serious, heavy, emotional album covering heavy topics [Please, WUDM, SATS], or a sarcastic, almost playful take on pop culture [Miami, Discotheque, PB]. It's the same with Bomb. It's comprised of great songs, but yeah, you do kind of have to come up with a theme and sell yourself on it. I buy the "mature, reflecting" theme, but it's not totally there. The other albums beside Bomb, Pop & R&H, I believe, have a much clearer picture of what they're trying to achieve---you listen to those albums from start to finish and by the end you're left with a very distinct feeling.

I like the Bomb, and I'll defend it against what I think are silly, contrived arguments against it. But if in 10 years people are clinging to Bomb saying that it was a misunderstood masterpiece, I'll argue with them the same way I argue with people who cling to Pop like it was sent from God.

And in terms of a change....Yeah, I like Bomb a lot, but still want them to make a change. It's one of the things I love about U2.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Utoo said:

Okay I understand what you're trying to say. But I don't see many of the anti-Bomb discussions as silly or contrived. Maybe people do feel the way they do and it differs from how you feel about the subject. Now if a troll comes in and posts something repeatedly without any explanation just to annoy the shit out of everybody, I can see you're right. But I also see mature anti-Bomb discussions here. At least they start out mature. :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I would honestly say 90% of them are.

Are you sure you're not saying that because you disagree with those opinions? I mean, Bomb bashers are entitled to their opinions too, right, if they present them in a coherant way? Or is this forum only for positive opinions?

Zootlesque said:

Are you sure you're not saying that because you disagree with those opinions? I mean, Bomb bashers are entitled to their opinions too, right, if they present them in a coherant way? Or is this forum only for positive opinions?

Opinions are opinions, I could care less either way. My problem is not with whether someone is entitled to their opinion or not. It's just that most of the "discussions" are repetitive, childish, and couldn't hold water if they tried.

:shrug: I wont discuss this any further as I have no interest whatsoever in discussing either the RED campaign or U218 and don't want to derail this thread further into Bomb territory.

Zootlesque said:

Okay I understand what you're trying to say. But I don't see many of the anti-Bomb discussions as silly or contrived. Maybe people do feel the way they do and it differs from how you feel about the subject. Now if a troll comes in and posts something repeatedly without any explanation just to annoy the shit out of everybody, I can see you're right. But I also see mature anti-Bomb discussions here. At least they start out mature. :wink:

I see what you mean, too, Zoots. :wink: And I definitely agree that there are many mature, well-argued debates out there about most things about current U2 (to keep this from derailing specifically into Bomb :wink: ). I respect those debates and the opinions presented in them, whether they're in line with mine or not. I'll argue with those not in line with mine, but that's the fun in having different opinions! :)

The ones that I'm calling "contrived" and "silly" are the ones about selling out, concentrating on mainstream, etc, that seem to have outnumbered the mature, thoughtful arguments in the last few months. The same exact arguments were made in 1992 and 1997. They were made by people who didn't like whatever new direction was taken by the band and instead of forming a thought-out opinion, people latched onto these easy-to-state quasi-opinions. I say they're "contrived" because they're often argued by stating the one-liner and then pointing out some random current fact ("Bono had yet another tv interview the other day," etc.) as a "clear" example of the generalized one-liner "opinion." The problem is that such statements are so extraordinarily general and more often than not ignore some precedent (such as arguing "U2's so lame, they're catering to an MTV audience now" while neglecting to note that U2 were on MTV non-stop during ZooTV...etc.).

Anyway, in a roundabout way, that's what I'm saying. I don't agree with every opinion. There are definitely some mature, well-thought-out opinions & arguments. But there are definitely some lame "opinions," too.

Utoo said:

Zootlesque explains what i was trying to say better than i could.

Utoo said:

you i like. i've felt the same about the 3 albums you mentioned. i like bomb, but couldn't get into it's "feel". i dunno how to say it, things just didn't feel cohesive..................................................... ah crap i like what you posted and i'll leave it at that since i can't figure my own thoughts out.

Back
Top Bottom