Are U2 Just A Bunch Or Creepy Old Guys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
hahah thats what some one told me !!
they said that their music sounds old(which is true) and that they just look like creepy old people(aka rolling stones)
i think edge and larry look fit but bono looks like a mess(with his hair and hobo clothes lol) and well adam is old.

its not age(look at duran duran)

what do you all think hahahaah!

ps dont flame me im just passing on what ive heard!!

shaun vox said:
hahah thats what some one told me !!
they said that their music sounds old(which is true) and that they just look like creepy old people(aka rolling stones)
i think edge and larry look fit but bono looks like a mess(with his hair and hobo clothes lol) and well adam is old.

its not age(look at duran duran)

what do you all think hahahaah!

ps dont flame me im just passing on what ive heard!!

Don't flame you? Don't flame YOU!?!?!

You are the one who posted this here. You are the one who agrees that the music sounds "old". You are the one who wrote how "old" some band members look. You are more to blame for this sentiment than "what you heard".

For this "old" band (by the way, groups like Radiohead are just as "old" in terms of age), they sound more fresh than a lot of new bands, including big groups like Coldplay. I hear more energy and nerve and talent in U2's songs than any of the other regurgitated crap I hear on the radio. And so many new bands are directly influenced by U2. I've heard countless people say artists like Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, etc., sound like U2. In fact, some people even thought songs by these groups were new U2 songs (until they failed to hear Bono's obvious distinctive vocals).

So why is it that these bands, who sound like U2, are "fresh and hot", but U2 is "old" and "stale"? One can't have it both ways.

U2 is on the leading edge. They created new ways of marketing (like the iTunes/iPod, which even has huge artists like Eminem following in their footsteps). They found new ways of creating hit songs and relevant albums. They've found new ways of creating sold out shows across the globe.

Just because one token peson said U2 "looked old" to you, does not mean it's true. You only posted that here because you finally found someone that agrees with the venom you've been spewing forth for the past year. Wow... one person in a year agrees with you. Congrats. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Are U2 Just A Bunch Or Creepy Old Guys?

doctorwho said:
You only posted that here because you finally found someone that agrees with the venom you've been spewing forth for the past year. Wow... one person in a year agrees with you. Congrats. :rolleyes:

Venom? Come off it. Anyone that takes Shaun's threads that probably should take some chill pills.

Re: Re: Re: Are U2 Just A Bunch Or Creepy Old Guys?

financeguy said:

Venom? Come off it. Anyone that takes Shaun's threads that probably should take some chill pills.

I don't take him seriously. How can anyone take him seriously?

But I'm tired of reading his spiteful tidbits. All I ever see him post are negative comments about U2. He's done this for the past year now. It's enough.

I get that he doesn't like the new album - boy do I get it, we all get it. But a year of him taking over threads or creating new ones just to insult U2/Bono has grown tiresome. I'm tired of him stating how Bono sounds old or how the music is old or how Bono's singing is off or how Edge is off or whatever other nonsense he writes. For once, I'd like to read a thread that doesn't contain some idiotic comment from ShaunVox.

But then I guess there are people like you who'd rather tell me to chill than focusing on the disruption Shaun has caused. Clearly *I* am at fault here, not Shaun. I bet when your car runs bad, you turn on the TV thinking that you just need to chill about your car and you're being "too serious" about it.

Last edited:
let's just not reply to such a silly thing then folks...
i mean, what's the 'yes; I agree' response here:
"Yes, u2 are just a bunch of creepy old guys". It's not even really inspired enough to spark a conversation, or am I missing something? O' course to each his own, and all are entitled to an opinion and to state it, but c'mon...
to some degree, and not meaning to offend, there's just not enough nuance to get going with it for anyone really, no?

unless we can get into demographics maybe...
like, *who* thinks 'they're just a bunch of creepy old guys'? is it someone who's 14? or someone who's 25? 40?
*old*-- now there's an adjective that doesn't convey enough...does it mean stale, not current, old-style, repetitive?

anyway, I just felt the need to say it's one thing to put something critical out there which might start a conversation and another to just sorta trawl with a negativity net...

cheerio!

oh, and doctorwho, I wouldn't want to come off as saying you or anybody who dislikes negativity should 'chill'...I guess I was just feeling like I myself anyway only feel the need to get my panties in a bunch when someone has something interesting and provocative to say, and I guess I haven't been attending much to posts that don't have something more than 'they suck' or 'they're washed up' in them, lol!
I mean, there's also just reality of good sales, highest-grossing tour, good reviews, etc, so 'u2 are just a bunch of creepy old guys' just doesn't tend to catch my attention because it's...how to say it...a very 'niche' kinda position, if that makes any sense...

cheers!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Are U2 Just A Bunch Or Creepy Old Guys?

doctorwho said:

Don't flame you? Don't flame YOU!?!?!

You are the one who posted this here. You are the one who agrees that the music sounds "old". You are the one who wrote how "old" some band members look. You are more to blame for this sentiment than "what you heard".

For this "old" band (by the way, groups like Radiohead are just as "old" in terms of age), they sound more fresh than a lot of new bands, including big groups like Coldplay. I hear more energy and nerve and talent in U2's songs than any of the other regurgitated crap I hear on the radio. And so many new bands are directly influenced by U2. I've heard countless people say artists like Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, etc., sound like U2. In fact, some people even thought songs by these groups were new U2 songs (until they failed to hear Bono's obvious distinctive vocals).

So why is it that these bands, who sound like U2, are "fresh and hot", but U2 is "old" and "stale"? One can't have it both ways.

U2 is on the leading edge. They created new ways of marketing (like the iTunes/iPod, which even has huge artists like Eminem following in their footsteps). They found new ways of creating hit songs and relevant albums. They've found new ways of creating sold out shows across the globe.

Just because one token peson said U2 "looked old" to you, does not mean it's true. You only posted that here because you finally found someone that agrees with the venom you've been spewing forth for the past year. Wow... one person in a year agrees with you. Congrats. :rolleyes:

:up:

ewings said:
Adam is gorgeous

He is, isn't he?!

I think time is treating his look very well. He's got this hot confident stance happening, and I'm loving his clothes lately. And that short silver hair is just stunning on him, it brightens his face quite a lot. I don't think he's ever looked so comfortable in his own skin as now actually...

U2 look their age. Whether that's "old" or not is all opinion. Personally I tend to have a thing for older men :wink: as for creepy, um, no? they don't look remotely as old as The Rolling Stones, and whether even they are creepy or not is, again, opinion. Old does not necessarily equal creepy.

My mom thinks U2 look old though :sad: well she says everyone but Bono who is hot no matter what (damn straight!). Also my friend Nick always makes fun of Adam, he's always like "Is that their dad or something?" :lol: but I don't care what people say, my boys are all sexy motherfuckers.

As for their music sounding old...what music, Two Hearts Beat As One? Yeah, that sounds old, it was made 22 years ago. But even most of U2's back catalouge is pretty timeless. When you hear a song like Pride, you don't think "Oh, that's so 80's," you think, "Oh, that's so U2." That's what sets them apart from a lot of the other 80's bands, imo. As for their current stuff - come on, Vertigo? U2 is as contemporary as ever. Their music fits in with today's mainstream yet also has its own distinct sound, as always.

ShellBeThere said:

He is, isn't he?!

I think time is treating his look very well. He's got this hot confident stance happening, and I'm loving his clothes lately. And that short silver hair is just stunning on him, it brightens his face quite a lot. I don't think he's ever looked so comfortable in his own skin as now actually...

That's the thing. Even though Adam really looks the oldest out of the band, he also looks the most comfortable and I think he's gained more fans this tour than ever. He arguably looks the best out of the four (though I'm more attracted to the other three, but that's just me). Edge however is still hiding under that beanie, Bono behind his shades, and Larry...well, Larry needs to use a little less hair gel :wink:

when their appendages start dropping onstage like another band who shall remain nameless
(THEROLLINGSTONES)

then they can be considered old, but now, no

Wow. I can't believe somebody actually took shaun vox's post so seriously!!! :lmao:

Doctor who, if his threads offend you so much, just don't click on them. That's what I would do. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
Wow. I can't believe somebody actually took shaun vox's post so seriously!!! :lmao:

Doctor who, if his threads offend you so much, just don't click on them. That's what I would do. :shrug:

You would click on everything. :tsk:

At least jick put some intelligent thoughts behind his "trolling." And he's the one who gets banned while other, more obvious trolls roam free. :|

Not mentioning any names, of course. :wink:

Last edited:
XHendrix24 said:
At least jick put some intelligent thoughts behind his "trolling." And he's the one who gets banned while other, more obvious trolls roam free. :|

Not mentioning any names, of course. :wink:

:shh:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are U2 Just A Bunch Or Creepy Old Guys?

doctorwho said:

I don't take him seriously. How can anyone take him seriously?

But I'm tired of reading his spiteful tidbits. All I ever see him post are negative comments about U2. He's done this for the past year now. It's enough.

I get that he doesn't like the new album - boy do I get it, we all get it. But a year of him taking over threads or creating new ones just to insult U2/Bono has grown tiresome. I'm tired of him stating how Bono sounds old or how the music is old or how Bono's singing is off or how Edge is off or whatever other nonsense he writes. For once, I'd like to read a thread that doesn't contain some idiotic comment from ShaunVox.

But then I guess there are people like you who'd rather tell me to chill than focusing on the disruption Shaun has caused. Clearly *I* am at fault here, not Shaun. I bet when your car runs bad, you turn on the TV thinking that you just need to chill about your car and you're being "too serious" about it.

I think you need to learn how to use the ignore button here. :|

Back
Top Bottom