Are U2 intentionally sandbagging in this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If measured restraint is the same as sandbagging, then I guess they are. This is, however, not a bad thing.

The 'Halleluia' version of Walk On has been mentioned in this thread, and I will say that even though this version is uplifting, cool, or whatever you want to call it, it is not as good as the album version. The version on the album is one in which you can find yourself lost it's subtle nuances. The version from 7 a glorified demo, and the Halleluias at the end don't change the fact.

As far as sandbagging, were they sandbagging on the album version of Bad? Were they sandbagging on the album version of With Or Without You? Were they sandbagging on One? Because the album versions of these songs certainly aren't the same as the Live versions.

This argument is silly, at best.

jick said:

Even the album versoin of Bad didn't have the sequencer!

yes it does, it comes in halfway through the song.

maybe you should spend some more time listening and less time bitching.

This is a ridiculous thread; of course U2 doesn't intentionally hold back on an album. Anyone who knows anything about U2 should know that. The idea is insane.

It is true that almost every U2 song ends up better live than on album, which I attribute to the fact that the songs improve with age and additional playing.

jick said:
I get the feeling that U2 are intentionally sandbagging in this album. For those who don't know what sandbagging means, its a term used for those who like to hide their talents or pretend to be much less talented than they really are.

Vertigo is too short.

Miracle Drug starts out too quietly.

SYCMIOYO is too slow.

LAPOE takes too long before it gets rocking.

COBL doesn't have drums that bite.

ABOY has a guitar solo, but no extended guitar solo.

Original Of The Species seems to be missing something.

I am pretty sure these these songs will probably be played live. So why is Mullen's drum parts too low in the mix? Despite their brilliance, why do the songs seem to lack the extra punch?

I think this is one big grand conspiracy by U2. To make THE album of their lives, and yet not make it up to their full potential so that there will still be room for improvement live.

If U2 would have laid down all the cards of the table in the album versions, they won't keep their reputation as a great live band anymore as they will be failure in improving on their album versions. So I guess U2 intentionally hid some of their cards so they could end up with a few tricks up their sleeve live.

Does anyone else think U2 was intentionally sandbagging with this album?

Nevertheless, I think it is a tribute to the greatness of U2 to be able to sandbag with this album and still come up with the best album released in this century perhaps.

I'd like your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

J

you have a history for trying to stir people up, this is a great example so I'll save my energy and not bother with your post, because its just not worth discussing it.

The whole nature of sandbagging is to be intentional as to fool your opponent. So the term "intentional sandbagging" is redundant. As are all of your posts, completely redundant and banal. There is no good irony without wit. Without wit it's just nonsense.

Redundant nonsense.

jick said:
I apologize to those who don't understand sandbagging. It is actually a golf term. I doubt there are any golfers in this forum.

Cheers,

J

hey, jick, I play golf! and my dad's from Cebu, too. we're going back home for christmas :up:

Guys chill, I think jick's pretty funny and some people completely miss the point of a lot of his threads. He's having a laugh somewhere, and y'know what? So am I.:wink:

I think I agree with you to some extent. While I don't think they have the exact verses and instrumentals down, I do believe they like to work out extra little arrangements before touring. I wouldn't call it sandbagging or holding back necessarily, restraint is probably a better word.

In any case, I think it works wonders. They can take an already brilliant song and breathe new life into it onstage, I think it's a real treat for their fans to be honest. The complete experience.

Also, it may have something to do with getting on the radio, for instance: Mysterious Ways. This was a huge hit on the radio, so it would've been detrimental to their exposure to add a longer solo. Then, you pay that extra $35 and see it in concert, and you get a wild solo with a whole new feel, Bono being tempted by a dancer, so much more than you get with just the CD. Win-win, IMHO.

And some songs just wouldn't fit with an extra verse---I can't imagine WOWY with the "We'll shine like stars..." bit on the album; the subtle and beautiful guitar is perfect. That verse is so much better live, with the crowd singing along to the very simple line.

(Really, jick is a fan you guys, and I find his threads pretty amusing to be honest!)

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
The whole nature of sandbagging is to be intentional as to fool your opponent. So the term "intentional sandbagging" is redundant. As are all of your posts, completely redundant and banal. There is no good irony without wit. Without wit it's just nonsense.

Redundant nonsense.

So true about the redundancy bit though.:wink:

J, do you ever stop to think that U2 changes the arrangements a bit in concert merely to give the fans something to listen to besides what can be heard on the cd? On top of that, if you played the same song over and over again, you would probably be inclined to change it up again too.

Actually, I think this is what they do every album. That way, the tour is that much more exciting, knowing the songs take on a new form live.

jick said:

Vertigo is too short.

Miracle Drug starts out too quietly.

SYCMIOYO is too slow.

LAPOE takes too long before it gets rocking.

COBL doesn't have drums that bite.

ABOY has a guitar solo, but no extended guitar solo.

Original Of The Species seems to be missing something.

Vertigo - wow, I didn't realize a song needed to be a certain length to be good. Though I bet there will be some sort of extension during the live version... the whole point of Vertigo is to be a short 'n sweet rousing punker. How many six minute punk songs have you heard?

Miracle Drug - Um, so what? The song kicks in soon enough. The slow beginning adds to the atmosphere and makes the whole thing seem more epic.

SYCMIOYO - I also didn't realize a song didn't need to be a certain speed to be good. Sometimes is a ballad, so of course it's gonna be slow... I also seriously doubt U2 will speed it up live. It's possible, but the tempo right now is just dandy. If you're gonna complain about that, why not complain about every other semi-slow U2 song?

LAPOE - The extended intro enhances the guitar when it actually comes in. Personally, I don't think the song would be as good if it just kicked in right from the beginning (the 1:30 mark.) That would take away the whole atmosphere.

COBL - Eh, I guess I'll agree with you on that one... the drums don't have as much depth in the mix as they ought to, but I think that's basically a production thing.

ABOY - Well, Edge isn't one for long solos. YES, there are plenty of exceptions but long finger-bustin' solos just aren't his style... and the solo on All Because of You is plenty rockin' for me, thankyou very much. You've got a nice solo-lead guitar part during the bridge then the actual solo after Bono's scream... what do you want, a 3:00 solo?

OOTS - What, pray tell, is it missing? That piece is perfection. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if something was added at the end, like the hallejuahs on Walk On or the extra verses to songs like WOWY and One, which could make the song even better... but right now it's soooo bloody good I don't even care.

I guess my main problem with your arguement is your flawed examples...I hardly agree with any of them. Does U2 hold back? Yes, this is U2's style...Edge's minimalist guitar playing, for example. When Edge actually DOES bust into a solo or even hits a full bloody chord, it has a HUGE effect, more so than listening to Metallica bang away. Restrain makes you really listen to try and fill the spaces in the music, makes you hear intricate parts you wouldn't have noticed before...and then when that restraint is taken away, and the band breaks loose, it's like opening a bottle of soda you've been shaking for the last hour. Poetic example, I know. :D

Playing live is what makes U2 truly great. Read the magazine articles, quotes, whatever, and you'll see that making an album is a lot of work for U2... it's difficult and I honestly don't think they CAN reach their full potential in the studio. The atmosphere tends to be too tense... but watch any U2 concert (especially from the Elevation tour) and you'll see the pure joy U2 has in playing together. On stage it all seems to click and it's FUN... I think that's part of what enables them to exapand on songs. Once they've got the studio work behind them and they're rehearsing, somehow pressure is taken off and they can explore a little more...that's how I see it anyway.

I think you just like to nit pick with everyone to get a rise out of people. No, the album isn't all that it was made out to be by the press, but there is NOTHING wrong with it. I seriously doubt that anyone would release a record after 4 years of investment (physical, mental, emotional, and economic).

And as for Lillywhite's drum mixes, what were you actually expecting? Have you ever heard a Lillywhite album where the drums were the primary focus?

Back
Top Bottom