Are there U2 songs where you wayyy prefer the live version to the studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I Zoo said:
The studio recording of Pride is one of their greatest moments, but it is mediocre live. Considering what a huge song it is, the band plays it pretty infrequently, so apparently they also feel it is a relatively weak live number.

????????????
Pride has been one of the most frequently performed songs of U2's career, having been played at virtually EVERY show since 1984 - the only exception that comes to mind are the first 8 shows of the Elevation tour. I believe the only song they've performed more is 'I Will Follow'.

Having said that, I think 'Pride' worked very well on Elevation, especially after they added the video clip of an MLK speech into it towards the end of the tour - one of the highlights of the shows for me. But on Popmart, Bono's voice just didn't seem as powerful and the song didn't work as well, IMO.

Songs that come to mind, from the last tour anyway, that didn't compare to the studio versions would have to include 'Sweetest Thing' and 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'.

BB218 said:
Songs that come to mind, from the last tour anyway, that didn't compare to the studio versions would have to include 'Sweetest Thing' and 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'.

I would agree. Specially on TGBHF. The full version on the MDH soundtrack was incredible. It loses a lot live. Wish they'd plug in and do it the same way. :huh:

sulawesigirl4 said:

I would agree. Specially on TGBHF. The full version on the MDH soundtrack was incredible. It loses a lot live. Wish they'd plug in and do it the same way. :huh:

I thought TGBHF was very, very poignant in the live unplugged version. I think I probably like it more than the album version, but that's me. The album version is great too (though my favourite MDH song is Stateless.) But when they played TGBHF in Vancouver, I could see lots of people running for the exits for beer and bathroom breaks. Even if you don't know the song, very stupid and very bad manners...:mad:

Like someone to blame said:
Hawkmoon 269-I LOVE the song...but they never "nailed" this one live IMO...presumably it's difficult to play.
:p

NO way!!!! I cant believe this, I truly think that the live version of this from Lovetown just rocks and shits all over the album version, mainly because it sonds so completely different and I love the sweeping and soaring guitars in this song- like I said the live version is so much better in my opinion than the album version......but anyway, I cant really think of any songs to add to this list from what I can remember of the concerts that I have been to all of the songs sounded pretty damn cool, but I just had to reply to that Hawkmoon thing:)

I would have to say I do not understand how One and Pride could be better in the studio? I love them live. So emotional.

As for WOWY - that is way better live.....get the boot from ZooTV in DC. Amazing!

Still Haven't Found....
With or Without You DEFINITELY
Running to Stand Still
Angel of Harlem
All I Want is You
Beautiful Day
Kite
The Ground Beneath....

These I all prefer the studio versions of.

OzAurora said:

NO way!!!! I cant believe this, I truly think that the live version of this from Lovetown just rocks and shits all over the album version, mainly because it sonds so completely different and I love the sweeping and soaring guitars in this song- like I said the live version is so much better in my opinion than the album version......but anyway, I cant really think of any songs to add to this list from what I can remember of the concerts that I have been to all of the songs sounded pretty damn cool, but I just had to reply to that Hawkmoon thing:)

Oz:

Hawkmoon 269 is quite possibly my favorite U2 song and I understand and appreciate everything you said about the live version in your post. I have numerous Lovetown bootlegs and without question the song is completely different live but I just personally have a hard time listening to that song live as performed on the Lovetown tour. I don't know...Bono was having some throat problems on this leg and not exactly "nailing" the higher end notes of the song.

I guess I just prefer the album version but that's just my personal preference.

I still haven't found what i'm looking for is the only one for me.

Nope...i just remembered Streets. Also New York from ATYCLB.

Last edited:
Am I Zoo said:
The studio recording of Pride is one of their greatest moments, but it is mediocre live. Considering what a huge song it is, the band plays it pretty infrequently, so apparently they also feel it is a relatively weak live number.

Two things confuse me about this thread.

In the title, U2girl asks if there are any songs which we prefer live over the studio album. But then, in her first post in the topic, she lists the exact opposite - naming several songs which she prefers the studio version over the live version! :confused::scratch:

Then there's the above quote. I agree with, and more importantly, understand the first part of the quote. I too have always felt that "Pride" on UF was outstanding - something U2 has never captured again in concert (mostly because they lower the key so Bono doesn't blow out a lung singing it). However, Am I Zoo then goes on to say that since the band plays this song "pretty infrequently... they also feel it is a weak live number." Infrequently??? U2 have played "Pride" at TONS of shows - it pretty much was played nightly in not just the UF tour, but the JT tour, ZOO TV, PopMart and Elevation. Granted, there were times (Lovetown, third leg of Elevation) where U2 might have excluded it, but "Pride" has been a staple song for years. Also, I never received the impression U2 thought it was a weak live song - in fact, I believe they feel it is one of their stronger songs (one that fans adore and sing to). So I dont' get this comment at all. :confused::confused:

Very confusing thread... :scratch:

doctorwho said:

In the title, U2girl asks if there are any songs which we prefer live over the studio album. But then, in her first post in the topic, she lists the exact opposite - naming several songs which she prefers the studio version over the live version! :confused::scratch:

At first, this thread was about preferred studio versions over live versions. Like you can see from the tiny letters right on top of that very post you mention it says "are there U2 songs where the studio version can't be beaten by live version?"

Then, i asked the question the other way around - if there are songs where you prefer the live versions (and naming examples with Streets, I still haven't found... and New York). It was a second thread but it got "merged" together with the "studio above live versions" thread - like you can see from the title of the thread now.

Last edited:
kawai40 said:
I disagree with the Fly- that is one of the best songs I have ever heard live...sounded incredible on the last tour!

Pride is much better on the record though

I agree with both. The Fly is amazing live....the studio version is amazing, too. Pride is better in the studio. It's one of their better known songs but they often do leave it out of the set. I have never heard "Dirty Day" live. Damn! That's one of my fave U2 songs. I live in the U.S. where they didn't do a song from "Zooropa" until last year--"Stay"--and it wasn't at the shows I went to! Speaking of the tour last year I prefer "Elevation" live to the studio version. The live version is on fire! It's hot!

Last Night on Earth came alive.....especially when the band just starts jamming hard at the end.

u2er said:
I prefer the version of A Sort Of Homecoming that's on WAIA rather than the UF one. :D
I think that live version sucks ass compared to the album version

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the version of "40" from Under a Blood Red Sky, which I far prefer to the studio version from War.

I also love the version of "One"--I think it's from the same event as the "Miss Sarajevo" live recording--when Bono is singing at the end, "Do you hear me coming, love...do you hear me coming, love...do you hear me knocking...knocking at your door..."

Although I don't know if I actually like it better than the studio version from Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom