Are there any confrontational/ critical U2 fans here anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
I lurk here a lot of times and and I used to lurk at Rolling Stone's U2 message board... I don't spend as much time reading a lot of the threads on this forum as I used to... so I don't know...

but are there any members who are critical of U2 and post their opinions on this board still. I'm talking about roguerum types. You know the guys and gals who seem/ sound like they're complaining. (I know a new album sort of helps bring out the critical types but that isn't always the case b/c it doesn't take an album to bring out one critic...).

I remember a while back on the Rolling Stone U2 BBS one person who would consistently criticize U2's post War output but lift up and praise everything from Boy to War.

Anyone know? Just curious...

The critics seem to come out on this board when there is a new album or setlist for a new tour to complain about (U2 are not playing the songs "I" want to hear, this tour sucks!). I dont mind when fans are critical if they have a logical reason for it. But frankly, the setlist stuff from the last tour was borderline juvenile at times. I dont miss that at all. But it will probebly be back next year with all the activity that will most likely occur with the new album and tour.

Blue Room said:
The critics seem to come out on this board when there is a new album or setlist for a new tour to complain about (U2 are not playing the songs "I" want to hear, this tour sucks!). I dont mind when fans are critical if they have a logical reason for it. But frankly, the setlist stuff from the last tour was borderline juvenile at times. I dont miss that at all. But it will probebly be back next year with all the activity that will most likely occur with the new album and tour.

Exactly. There just isn't much to talk about and/or criticize these days.

The problem with the discussions you mention, Fu Manchu, is that they turn into personal attacks, and then people get very defensive, and it becomes a real problem. When people can just discuss their differing opinions in a more calm and mature manner, you might see more discussions like the ones you mention.

There are critical fans here, they go by the name of Jick and their arguments about the band at first seem like they can be taken seriously, but then all of the sudden they make comparisons to Bon Jovi and Avril Lavigne and it destroys whatever credibility they had.

david said:
There are critical fans here, they go by the name of Jick and their arguments about the band at first seem like they can be taken seriously, but then all of the sudden they make comparisons to Bon Jovi and Avril Lavigne and it destroys whatever credibility they had.

well said and so true :up:

considering i view u2 as sellouts, ya, im a "confrontational fan."

i think their efforts since 2000 have been articulated, manipulated, and marketed to make money, not to create an artistic impression.

prior to 2000, however, i am most fond of their work.

hey the mullet rocked..
i bitched alot about ATYCLB and the best of 1990/2000 set list..
lets see what they throw at us with their next album and tour.
oh and when i was right infront of edge after 911 elevation tour and they did not play bullet the blue sky i fellt like shit when they did not play.

but now i feel good.i got over it.
i hope i dont bitch about their next album. it better rock and roll

ah set list bitching is sort of senseless I think
if they play your fav song, they have to leave out another one.. hence someother fan will be unhappy ;)

ban the mullets! :D

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
:uhoh:

i have some serious issues with the POP era, but that's as far as i'll go with that.

Me too :uhoh: :reject:

The MULLET DID ROCK! Nobody diss the mullet, or me and a posse of mullet lovin' PLEBA girls might get confrontational:sexywink:

*runs to PLEBA before the urge to post hot mullet pics takes over* :ohmy:

I'm not a "confrontational/critical" fan. I guess the way I've always seen it is as U2 can do whatever they want. Their lives, their music, their business. If I don't like it, nobody is forcing me to listen. If that point ever comes, it's better to move on to other things and just keep loving the old stuff than to bitch about the way I want things.

So far, I've been happy with what they have offered us.

What Blue Room said.

I have a feeling that majority here prefers (or just talks about more, I don't know) 90's U2 over 80's U2. And I know that Pop/ATYCLB discussions very often get ugly.
(IMO Pop gets too much credit and ATYCLB is over bashed)

Bonochick said:
I'm not a "confrontational/critical" fan. I guess the way I've always seen it is as U2 can do whatever they want. Their lives, their music, their business. If I don't like it, nobody is forcing me to listen. If that point ever comes, it's better to move on to other things and just keep loving the old stuff than to bitch about the way I want things.

That's the way I feel as well, although I confess I feel much more happy with their work in Pop and Zooropa than with ATYCLB.

bonosgirl84 said:
:uhoh:

i have some serious issues with the POP era, but that's as far as i'll go with that.

I feel the same way.

Originally posted by U2girl
I have a feeling that majority here prefers (or just talks about more, I don't know) 90's U2 over 80's U2. And I know that Pop/ATYCLB discussions very often get ugly.

It's been like that on the lists too. It seems to be those 2 albums that people feel so strongly about and that get fought over the most! :shrug: People must be really bored and desperate for a new album to drag out old ones and start bashing:eyebrow: I'm glad I haven't seen much of that lately anywhere. Maybe it finally got old!

Originally posted by a-mole
ah set list bitching is sort of senseless I think
if they play your fav song, they have to leave out another one.. hence someother fan will be unhappy

This is true too! They can't possibly please everybody. There just isn't enough time. What bugged me was people who followed them to 29 shows who whined about the same basic setlist. Sorry but they can't play different stuff every night for the lucky one percent who sees that many shows. They play every show like it's the only one a fan will see on that tour, because in most cases, it is.

Any more confrontational fans around?

I HOPE NOT!! :no:

:angel:

Bonochick said:

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up: x5

Seabird said:

This is true too! They can't possibly please everybody. There just isn't enough time. What bugged me was people who followed them to 29 shows who whined about the same basic setlist. Sorry but they can't play different stuff every night for the lucky one percent who sees that many shows. They play every show like it's the only one a fan will see on that tour, because in most cases, it is.

:angel:

This is right on the money and was my argument during that time frame. Seemed to fall on deaf ears alot. I actually am one of those that gets to alot of shows each tour. But I understand why U2's setlist is fairly static (although they played the most songs of almost any tour they have ever done on Elevation) and I still have a great time at each and every show. They still threw in some surprises here and there on Elevation.

I think the problem is that some fans are into DMB or Phish. These are jam bands. U2 will never and has never been a jam band. They have been one of the most successful live acts of all time. If it isnt broke, dont fix it.

Last edited:
I think the only time I have seriously had issues with u2 is when Bono kept talking about that whole "best band in the world" buisness around the ATYCLB/grammy time.

gimmee a break bono.
you guys are my favorite band, but you should know better than to say some stupid shit like that.

I don't love everything they've done, but there's only so many times I can write about why WAR does nothing for me or why half of Zooropa leaves me underwhelmed or why Bono's "fuck up the mainstream" speech makes me cringe.

I went through a phase where any disparaging comment about U2 music would cause me to rant and basically suppress any anti-U2 sentiments. But, having grown up a bit... I've found that I can occasionally challenge the music and the motives behind it. For instance, I was hesitant to accept ATYCLB as an album at first... but, then again all U2 material takes time to set in.

However, there are older fans out there who have some righteous image of how the band should operate... and that any deviations from their standards would be considered "selling out". To some extent they may be right... but, I'm taking the optimistic approach that this next album will be a renewal... to innovation. That might be a naive statement, but I think it's a better to have an open attitude... after all, these guys have been around for 25 years. There's only so much of a creative spark that can burn from them... just like any great band.

So am I a challenging/controversial fan? Well, maybe from the perspective of a different set of fans. But, as a U2 fan I think I have the right to challenge what I'm listening to... isn't that what their music is about?

Bonochick said:

Exactly.

U2girl said:
And I know that Pop/ATYCLB discussions very often get ugly.

Oh, yeah, those discussions do NOT stay quiet for long.

Personally, I LOVE the whole Pop album, but I have no problem with people saying they don't like it.

Some people seem to think that if we don't constantly gripe about this or that involving them, that we are just afraid to be critical of what they're doing and want to make everything seem hunky dory. That is certainly not the case. I have my personal things that I would wish U2 could do, should do, or songs I may not get into nearly as much...I just don't see the point in sitting there and constantly complaining about something that isn't gonna change just because I'm not happy with what was done. It's been done, nothing we can do to change it, if some people don't like what happened, I'm sorry, but let's just move on.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with something U2 says or does and them having a discussion with others about that stuff, but when people are dwelling on the negative things, that just doesn't make sense to me. Like stated already, U2 can't please everyone. No band can ever please every single one of their fans. If a band didn't make a section of their fans happy this time around, they might make them happy next time, so just relax.

Angela

im one of them :p

but theres nothing you can do when U2 has a certain idea about what every song they make has to sound like in order for them to sell records

Back
Top Bottom