are edge and adam irish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gawd, i was just reading that yesterday somewhere. Adam became an Irish citizen (in 1989?) and Edge still has an English passport.

I literally only read that yesterday but I dont know where, sorry. lol

I think Bono and Larry were both born in Ireland.
Adam moved to Ireland with his family at a very young age, and I think Edge also moved to Ireland later on. (you can tell by their accents they're Brits) However I don't know whether those two have Irish citizenship or if they kept the British one.

Ooops yes, Edge is Welsh - still technically a Brit since Wales is a part of Great Britain :D

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Ooops yes, Edge is Welsh - still technically a Brit since Wales is a part of Great Britain :D

Spot on. Infact Edge's Dad still runs the Irish Welsh Male Voice Choir.

Cheers,
Welsh Jim

U2girl said:
I think Bono and Larry were both born in Ireland.
Adam moved to Ireland with his family at a very young age, and I think Edge also moved to Ireland later on. (you can tell by their accents they're Brits) However I don't know whether those two have Irish citizenship or if they kept the British one.

Edge was pretty young when his family moved to Ireland. I don't think he has a British accent at all. I think he and Bono have a very similar accent.

Actually, Bono and Larry have a similar accent (Irish), while Adam and Edge have a similar accent (British).

I just edited to make it more clear what I meant.

Last edited:
oh you edited while I posted......I don't know why I'm talking about U2's accents at 7:20 AM when I have to be to work at 8:00 and I'm not ready yet :|

Adam's accent does have a very British sound to it.
Which I think is odd because he's been living in Ireland since he was about 6 or so. Wouldn't he have picked up an Irish accent by now?

Childresn take the accent also by parents and not only by the place they live

yea! David Evans aka The Edge! Is defo Welsh he has welsh parents! He moved over to Ireland when he was a little edgett!
Im an Evans too so that is well cool! We might be related somehow! lol:wink:

Paul Hewson aka Bono was born in ireland and i think he is Irish!
Larry Mullenjr was too born in Ireland and is irish!

Adam is english was born in england and moved to ireland cos of his troubles in boradin schools! He still has accent though!
:wink:

I thought Larry was Scandinavian in ancestry? Bono used to call him 'bloody Viking';) Bono may be the only one of true Irish blood. But they're all Ireland's guys now!

He probably calls Larry that because of his looks. When I went to Ireland a few years ago, the tour guide said it was the Vikings who brought blonde and red hair to Ireland

originally posted by voxson
Children take the accent also by parents and not only by the place they live

But kids pick up the accent of their peers, classmates, friends. You have some American kids with British parents, and those kids have pure American accents, and vice versa.

they are all irish in mentality and that's final.
and in music.

hello,hello,vertigo

now,that's not welsh or british,now is it?

:wink:

"We're a bunch of noisy, rough Irishmen that are arrogant enough to drag their tails all the way around the world, and I think that's something to be proud of."--Adam

He refers to all of them, including himself, as Irish.

Like when someone emigrates to America, after a few years of living there, they sometimes refer to themselves as Americans, even if technically, they weren't born there.

i think the whole band considers themselves Irish, Edge and Adam werent born in Ireland but are Irish, theyve lived there since they were children.

"We're a band from the north side of dublin, were called u2 and this are first single........"

its not where youre born, its where you belong.

don't get england and wales mixed up, welsh people get really offended when they are called english!

Edge is of Welsh descent.

From atU2.com U2 biographies

Larry was born and raised in Artane, located the north side of Dublin, at 60 Rosemount Avenue.
(Larry Mullen being the name of his father, and his mother's Maureen O'Rourke, I think that those are clearly Irish names)

Voxson is right; the language (accent) your parents teach you and you use at home is IMO very decisive of your accent later on in life.
Of course they can identify themselves as Irish, having lived and worked there for years - and get citizenship, but the fact is not all of them were born in Ireland. (remember the mess a few years ago at the Brits when they got the award for "outstanding contribution to British music"?)

Intedomine: no one is mixing up Wales with England (both parts of Great Britain) - yes Edge is Welsh but since Wales is a part of Great Britain it is fair to say he's British.

I meant some of Larry's ancestors were Vikings, like hundreds of years ago, not recently. Somebody do a family tree and research all their families back to the dark ages, that would be cool.

i would have never imagined edge is welsh!! this is great, wales is one of my fav countries, it inspires me a lot of harmony...
so, only bono and larry are really dublin people.... fine people! :wink: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom