Appreciation for U2 and all they do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyYourKite

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well I'm sure there has been a post like this in the past but I decided to create another one because they are so deserving. Feel free to post your appreciation of them :)

Thank you to Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam for giving us years and years of quality music. You never cease to amaze us all and here's to ongoing music-making and success.

Thank you for your music that helps each and every one of us find hope or happiness in a day that was otherwise shadowed.

Thank you for lifting our spirits in times of sickness or sadness. I know I'm not the only one who puts on the Joshua Tree and instantly feels better when I have the flu. :wink:

Thank you for bringing all of us closer together. Without you, I would not have met the great people I have here on Interference.

Thank you especially for the two hours of brilliance your concerts bring. I feel like a million dollars at a U2 concert. It is especially wonderful to just sit or stand back and watch other people in their moment, eg. that crazy guy in Chicago who never stopped jumping and had a smile so wide I thought his face would crack.

Most of all, thank you for your wonderful inspiration to the world outside of music. Bono's dedication to Africa and the One campaign remind us of what is important.

THANK YOU U2! :rockon:

Well said, FlyYourKite! ICAM
smilie_daumen1.gif

Here is my very first interference post....I'll copy and paste instead of providing the link.....I'd write something original, but, this post captures my feelings about as well as I'm ever going to write them, so, here it is...

"This is my first post, please forgive me if I ramble on.

I'll start by saying that I've been a U2 fan since 1982/83, cannot recall exactly when, but after October's release, before War. I got exposed to them by the older brother of a close friend of mine, and I liked them immediately. Since then, the band have provided me with so much joy that it's impossible to accurately convey it via words. If any people can understand, it's you people.

I have been reading a lot of the posts lately, and am a bit stunned at some of the negativity. I know, I know, this site is for discussion, and that implies good and bad takes on things. But, some of the negative feedback seems so....petty. When a band ascends to U2's heights, by design or not, it is implied that their songbook becomes large. They simply cannot get up there and play 100 songs and satisfy every single person. So, when they play An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart in San Diego, and I'm there, and I start to tear up because I'm in shock that they are playing a song I NEVER thought I'd hear live....well, to me, that's ecstasy. Guess what these songs have in common.....Heartland, Do you Feel Loved, When I look at the World, Crumbs from Your Table....they all are my favorite individual songs from their respective albums, and they are all songs I've never heard live. I might never hear any of them live. I don't care, though. The 2 hours of joy and bliss that U2 provide me each time I opt to pay to see them transcends any little disappointment I might have ten fold. I'm too realistic to dream of dream set lists.

Quick story - took a friend to see them in Anaheim on Friday. He's a moderate fan, knows the hits, some other stuff, but not a dork like me about it. Anyway, Bullet the Blue Sky starts, and I think to myself as it starts "I've heard this song every time I've seen them live in my life"....not that I dislike it, just....well, anyway, as I'm thinking about this, my friend grabs my arm and says "This is my friggin favorite U2 song, holy crap!!!"...he was transported for 5 minutes during this song, and it reminded me that my favorites are not someone elses, and that not everyone has been lucky enough to see them as often as I.

Anyway, I don't wear blinders, I'm aware of corporate involvement in music and of technical glitches during songs and of Bono not remembering the lyrics to every song every night, etc. I am aware of all this, but it does not bother me one iota. I love this band, they've literally been the sound track of the bulk of my life, and if anything, I owe them a debt of gratitude that cannot be measured.

So, I'll shut up now, sorry for the long rant. See you at Staples on Wednesday, and in San Jose on Saturday!! "

KhanadaRhodes said:
i didn't say i was going to close it! :yikes:

I think some people see you as a bit like the cops. I mean when you see a cop car you immediately think "Oh shit! What am I doing wrong?" :shrug:

Don't sweat it, just bask in your power!

Last edited:
When I've met members of U2 in the past they've been brief moments. I knew I wasn't going to get in depth conversations, I knew I wasn't going to become their friends, and I knew I wasn't going to change their minds. So the handful of times I've "met" members of U2 I've just thanked them and I've gotten very sincere handshakes or hugs from the members and a "thank you" back. Autographs mean nothing, a picture would be nice but I've never bothered, and trying to convince them to play this or that doesn't even cross my mind.

Now if I ever run into Bono at a bar when he's not being swarmed by fans that's different, I may stop and try to have a real conversation with him. But I've never been given that opportunity(YET).

U2 has done something in my life that I can't put in words and I'll leave it at that.

So I just thank them.

Thank you U2!!!!

indra said:

I think some people see you as a bit like the cops. I mean when you see a cop car you immediately think "Oh shit! What am I doing wrong?" :shrug:

Don't sweat it, just bask in your power!
tomato2.gif

The only celebrities on earth I'd care to meet would be any and all of the members of U2. I get to meet a lot of professional athletes in my line of work, and I get a kick out of it, but it means little to me. Meeting them would be different, I really, legitimately, feel like I owe them some modicum of gratitude.

The cops are gone, right?

:)

I have often though what would I say to U2 if I ever met one of them in person. Honestly I think all I would be able to articulate is Thank you!

But if I had a few moments with one of them I would definetly let them know how much I appreciate the years and years of amazing music that has inspired me and comforted me thru most of my life. And also a big thank you for being so kind and generous to their fans.

Knowing me, if I met them, I'd freeze up and just end up wearing a large grin....

.....a grin that might border on maniacal, actually. Maybe it's for the best that I've yet to meet them. :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
isn't this a bit redundant since it's a U2 forum and all? :eyebrow:

I don't think so, with all the negativity around the new album and tour, this forum could use more positivity.

:up:

Well, the one and only time I met Bono my brain turned into useless goo, and I didn't think of anything sensible to say like "Thank you, your music has changed my life". :mad:

So, I will say here that U2's music has changed my life and I don't admire any other band the way I admire them. I've never felt the same way listening to other people's music (no matter how much I love them) as I do to U2.

U2girl said:

I don't think so, with all the negativity around the new album and tour, this forum could use more positivity.

:up:

I'll second that.

U2 are still as exciting to me as they've always been. I did go through a brief stint in 2003 when my U2 mania subsided a bit, but it's stronger than ever at the moment. These past four-five years (yes, I'm one of those ones who jumped on board in 2000) have been amazing from a musical point of view. My actual teenage years haven't exactly been a bed of roses, but U2 was always there for me when I was feeling down. I mean, when you're a thirteen-year-old foreigner in a completely different country with no friends, and you come across a band as uplifting as U2, they're bound to make some sort of difference in your life. Heck, the band even inspired me to pick up that old guitar that was slowly collecting dust in my bedroom. You won't believe the elation I felt when I taught myself to play the chorus to Beautiful Day. :)

At the age of 18, I feel like I've changed a lot since 2000. Part of that, I owe to U2. I still don't have many real friends, but the ones I've made because of U2 are far better than any other people I've encountered so far. U2's music has taught me to see things differently and to have faith in myself, not to mention the religious aspect.

In short, I absolutely adore the band, and probably will continue to do so for a long time (unless they decide to experiment with rap :wink: ). I can't wait until the 12th of September in Toronto - it'll be my first U2 concert, and I can hardly wait!

Back
Top Bottom