Appreciation for Out of Control and WILATW..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
these two songs are among u2's finest, especially out of control, which was made right when they started out, which is impressive. wilatw is wonderful, sweet lyrics and melodious music. anyone else love these two lesser-known, rarer u2 songs?? or am i the only one? :)

I may get flamed for saying this... but I actually don't care much for OOC. On the other hand, WILATW is one of my favorite songs off of ATYCLB! In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best in the 00s!

I effin LOVE Out Of Control and I am just getting an appreciation for the rest of the songs on ATYCLB.

I love in Out of Control the power and delivery... Mon DAY morning Eighteen YEARS ago I say how long?

So good. and the bass parts in the chorus. Awesome!

WILATW is underrated, it's a great song :yes: it's my favorite from ATYCLB
OOC in Slane Castle :combust:

guill said:

OOC in Slane Castle :combust:

Heck yes!! OOC on Boy is OK but at Slane it becomes a flaming brilliant song!

And I really like WILATW. Especially the closing line: "What's wrong with me?"

OOC is a very special song for me. Brings me some good memories. It's a shame that it's not known by general public. WILATW is a sweet song. Good lyrics, strong meaning. I love to listen to it.

Personally I don't think the track listing of ATYCLB does WILATW any favours at all. It just seems to be sandwiched with all the other slower songs at the end of the album...listened to individually it's a great song but as part of the album...I don't know...the whole track listing of ATYCLB just doesn't seem quite right to me somehow. :shrug:

^^ it shouldve been towards the beginning instead of wayyyy at the end. its a beautiful song and needs to be appreicated. has it ever been played in concert?

I never really enjoyed WILATW because Bono's vocals just kinda made me cringe most of the time. However, when I heard the snippet of it at the end of Bad, it all kinda clicked. The calmness of the acoustic (ish) version totally works for the song. The album version is alot more appreciated now for me because I can kinda see the workings of a great song that just barely didn't reach it's potential.

I think if it had been a little more stripped down and maybe put behind Kite in the tracklisting, it would be liked alot more. But :up: for that song!

I was listening to the song the other day and the lyrics just made sense to me.

It talks of someone who is "blind" and sees that the world is just fine, in an egotistic way. ("I think of you and your holy book while the rest of us choke.") And that is why he says "I try to see it like you do" but I can't because the world is not ok. I can't see what you see.

:up:

TheQuiet1 said:
Personally I don't think the track listing of ATYCLB does WILATW any favours at all. It just seems to be sandwiched with all the other slower songs at the end of the album...listened to individually it's a great song but as part of the album...I don't know...the whole track listing of ATYCLB just doesn't seem quite right to me somehow. :shrug:

I completely agree. I think WILATW is a great track and definitely gets lost with the blah songs on the album. I also think the placement of Stuck as Track 2 is really weird and kinda brings the album down. This would actually make a good thread... re-arranging ATYCLB!

I think the tracklisting is fine. Conceptually, WILATW makes sense following Peace On Earth, which is another underrated song. Most people are turned off by the title (i orginally was) but it's Bono at his most spiteful and (according to Neil Stokes) agnostic. Anyway, after WILATW comes New York, which never sat as "blah" with me. I think it's the most exploratory moment on the record. New York..a really really really underrated song.

I agree that New York is incredibly underrated. I think it's a great song and I'd have thought it ought to be more talked about than it is. I don't think it's quite perfect though but still, a great track.

When the guitar kicks in :rockon:

Babydoll said:
these two songs are among u2's finest, especially out of control, which was made right when they started out, which is impressive. wilatw is wonderful, sweet lyrics and melodious music. anyone else love these two lesser-known, rarer u2 songs?? or am i the only one? :)

totally agree with you, another one that I love and that is underated is a day without me- love that song to bits. Along with I will follow out of control and electric co it totally makes the album

Chalupa said:
I never really enjoyed WILATW because Bono's vocals just kinda made me cringe most of the time.

It fitted for me the first time I heard it. I think its cos WILATW seems to portray Bonos growing wisdom as he's getting older, with him having a much more mature voice than before.

TheQuiet1 said:
I agree that New York is incredibly underrated. I think it's a great song and I'd have thought it ought to be more talked about than it is. I don't think it's quite perfect though but still, a great track.

When the guitar kicks in :rockon:

Totally agree, the song really rocks, it rocks so much i would have like it to have been on the best of album...

I haven't listened to WILATW for a while, but it's probably one of my favorites off of ATYCLB :yes:

As for OOC.. I listen to that practically everyday, if not, twice :wink:. I don't know why, but I really love that song. :drool:

and I have to agree with the previous posts.. OOC at Slane :drool: :drool:

Out Of Control is :drool: ...just too amazing for words!

WILATW, I was actually listening to this song yesterday and I was surprised at how great that song is....I didn't like is as much before but I guess it grew on me. It is a beautiful song definitely one of the stronger songs of ATYCLB!!!

Back
Top Bottom