Appreciate the rhythm section

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Bono and Edge get talked about a lot in here...so let's appreciate the other half of U2 for a bit.

I appreciate October/War era Larry and Pop era Adam.

I also appreciate War era Edge and Zoo era Stuart Morgan. :wink:

Well... heh. I appreciate them for their contribution and the character they've added to the band, but in reality their instrumentation kinda sucks.

I appreciate U2's rhythm section circa 1980-1983. Everything after that is more or less average.

i have a question: is adam the most simplistic bass player in rock music ever?

U2Man said:

Quite possibly.

But to be fair, he was very good in the early 80s and on Pop.

Yeah, but ZooTV wouldn't have been half as cool without Adam Clayton. The Fly has nothing on that mohawk :drool:
As for Larry well yeah the only U2 track that really is Larry's is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The best appreciation of the rhythm section is from The Edge, who clearly states that he would not have developed the style that he has become famous for if he had been playing with any other musicians. None of these guys can really be judged by conventional music standards because they developed largely without traditional music training. And while many other musicians are also self taught most develope their skills by learning to play other peoples songs. U2 did not develope this way because they couldn't successfully do that. They were never really a cover band. They developed their instrumental style by playing with each other. Their skills are entirely dependant on each other. As a result their efforts are entirely focused on the songs rather than showing off their individual abilities. None of them routinely practice their intruments they are either rehearsing songs they have already written or are experimenting with new sounds for new songs. To me comparing them to other musicians is meaningless. For all their simplicity however they are masters at delivering emotionally moving songs on an incredibly regular basis and I think a lot of people totally miss the boat by over analysing their music.

Dana

rihannsu said:
The best appreciation of the rhythm section is from The Edge, who clearly states that he would not have developed the style that he has become famous for if he had been playing with any other musicians. None of these guys can really be judged by conventional music standards because they developed largely without traditional music training. And while many other musicians are also self taught most develope their skills by learning to play other peoples songs. U2 did not develope this way because they couldn't successfully do that. They were never really a cover band. They developed their instrumental style by playing with each other. Their skills are entirely dependant on each other. As a result their efforts are entirely focused on the songs rather than showing off their individual abilities. None of them routinely practice their intruments they are either rehearsing songs they have already written or are experimenting with new sounds for new songs. To me comparing them to other musicians is meaningless. For all their simplicity however they are masters at delivering emotionally moving songs on an incredibly regular basis and I think a lot of people totally miss the boat by over analysing their music.

Dana

:thumbsup:
nicely said =)
i remember a quote that Edge said during his and bono's "off the record" interview with HBO. it was when they were talking about how Edge has his own distinctive sound, and very few people in music have that, so Edge is very special and all. and Edge replies that he developed that sound b/c of Adam and Larry. he said something like "At times, it would be like Adam was lead bass and I was rhythm guitar, because I was trying to unconventional style of bass playing". it was so nice.

I love U2's rhythm section. don't care how simplistic it is, to me it sounds great and it is essential to the U2 sound.

Pop is definitely the best record rhythmically, though the early 80's stuff is great as well, and AB's got some good grooves.

New Year's Day...one of my favourite basslines ever :drool: classic. that, and Do You Feel Loved :D

Exit has got to be one of the most amazingly sinister basslines for only three notes. sends chills up my spine.

U2Man said:

Ever? Nah, but probably the most famous him or Van Halen's Michael Anthony.

Music is subjective though. That's what's great about any art form. 2+2=4. Same can't be said of music or art.

Does a guitar line written in 32nds, with changing time signatures, = great song? Maybe, maybe not.

However, many of the comments I've read about Adam, is that a flashy technical bassist wouldn't work with U2. "His lines fit the songs." "perfect for U2."

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3311

Now maybe that's a slight on the band but I know they're not known for being virtuosos.

If Edge stops playing, you still hear the song, listen to "Vertigo" with headphones in just one ear. Adam and Larry do exactly what a rhythm section should do, lay down a firm foundation. They're 'the canvas' as Edge puts it, and Bono and Edge work on top. Outline the song. In fact, earlier today, my little sister was watching the Chicago DVD with me, and she was humming the bass line for most of "Vertigo." Also hummed part of the bass line to "Miracle Drug."

What I've been told from Adam's bass teacher himself "most people don't realize how good he is, but I'm telling you that his skill is "deep" in the music rather than flashy on top." Adam can without a doubt play more complicated basslines. It's a question of choice, what works for the song. Larry has been reported to have back problems and tendonitis.

Maybe he'd like to play like he did on War, but since U2 continues to be a touring band, he's gotta keep himself together. Many think U2 can keep going if Adam or Larry left but I feel it won't be "U2."

I think mostly just fans or other musicians really notice or pay attention to what the drummer and bassist are playing in music. IMHO.

thrillme said:

In fact, earlier today, my little sister was watching the Chicago DVD with me, and she was humming the bass line for most of "Vertigo." Also hummed part of the bass line to "Miracle Drug."

U2 has a very catchy rhythm section. I'll even get drum parts stuck in my head. That's very hip hop. Adam and Larry could make some awesome rap beats :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

But to be fair, he was very good in the early 80s and on Pop.

Yup, I love Adam Clayton and I feel he is under-rated a little bit, but this was his best work. A friend of mine said Clayton has done his best bass work because of help from Brian Eno (i don't know where he got that from) but Eno wasn't around until U. Fire, and he didnt produce POP if im correct on that.

But he's so important to the band. He brings this attitude thats unreplaceable.

Larry Mullen isn't the best drummer...honestly never really pay that much attention to him. And he never talks. You can say he fits u2's style of music perfectly, but that's not really the question. Many, Many other drummers can fit u2's music style. His drumming on the last two albums has been so run-through-the-motions to me.

Still, u2 wouldn't be the same without both of them. After 30 years, i couldn't go to a u2 show and not see LMJ behind the drums

Last edited:
While yes they are somewhat simple compared to other groups, that style works perfect for U2. When you have a guitar player like the Edge and a front man like Bono, you don't need everyone showing off their licks.

Imagine Where the Streets Have No Name with a different bass line. Sure, Adam doesn't pop and slap like Flea (except Gloria), but it works for U2.

Larry is a very good drummer in my opinion. Again, not technically advanced as others, but his style is a very loud and beefy sound. He's a very solid drummer. Just listen to the Vertigo version of Discotheque: Larry is still very creative when he's given the chance.

Last edited:
Yup, I love Adam Clayton and I feel he is under-rated a little bit, but this was his best work. A friend of mine said Clayton has done his best bass work because of help from Brian Eno (i don't know where he got that from) but Eno wasn't around until U. Fire, and he didnt produce POP if im correct on that.

But he's so important to the band. He brings this attitude thats unreplaceable.

Larry Mullen isn't the best drummer...honestly never really pay that much attention to him. And he never talks. You can say he fits u2's style of music perfectly, but that's not really the question. Many, Many other drummers can fit u2's music style. His drumming on the last two albums has been so run-through-the-motions to me.

Still, u2 wouldn't be the same without both of them. After 30 years, i couldn't go to a u2 show and not see LMJ behind the drums

He also pops and slaps on "Wire," "Surrender," "An Cat Dubh," there's a few more but ah the magic of bootlegs. :)

U2 seriously should dig into their vault, if it's true they allegedly record everything, especially live gigs!

Larry can be pretty funny in the times he does speak. You know what they say about the quiet ones. ;) Can definitely picture him being the prankster of the 4. The "zombie" tv in the limo, :laugh:

Adam and Larry are technically far better musicians then they show listen to the chorus of love you like mad sweet drums from Larry listen to Boy/Girl, Treasurer,
OTTS, Gone, the Fly, beach clip 402, some live versions of Elevation, Street Missions….Adam: I've been told from Adam's bass teacher himself "most people don't realize how good he is, but I'm telling you that his skill is "deep" in the music rather than flashy on top." Adam can without a doubt play more complicated basslines. It's a question of choice, what works for the song. Larry has been reported to have back problems and tendonitis. Thrillme (thanks)There not the most talented in the world but a lot better then they show. I have said before and will say again this group needs to produce an album which shows their technical tour de force it’s the one thing that will finally cement them proper in the music world for good it’s the one area that seems to leave a question mark over them.

took some time, but I found it:

"The deep sureness of Adam Clayton's bass and the rhythms of Larry Mullen's elegant drumming hold the band down while propelling it forward. It's in U2's great rhythm section that the band finds its sexuality and its dangerousness. Listen to "Desire," "She Moves in Mysterious Ways," [sic] the pulse of "With or Without You." Together Larry and Adam create the element that suggests the ecstatic possibilities of that other kingdom -- the one below the earth and below the belt -- that no great rock band can lay claim to the title without. "

Bruce Springsteen

Back
Top Bottom