Apart from U2..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
can anyone name a band that has been at the top of the tree for so long, yet kept the same original line up for 30+ years? I certainly cant. When you consider it, its a truly amazing feat! And you have to tip yer hat to our pals form Dublin for that

ZZTop
Rush (first album with a different drummer but same line up for 30+ years)

gman said:
can anyone name a band that has been at the top of the tree for so long, yet kept the same original line up for 30+ years? I certainly cant. When you consider it, its a truly amazing feat! And you have to tip yer hat to our pals form Dublin for that

It's not all that amazing considering that the band has existed for several years with no mainstream competition. Plus a band can stay together longer when you wait years between every album.

Being so popular for 20+ years with the same line up ? Probably no one else, although there are bands that are/were around longer.

As for competition, there was REM, Radiohead and in the last few years, Green day and Coldplay. (Red hot chili peppers ? Pearl Jam ?)

U2girl said:

As for competition, there was REM, Radiohead and in the last few years, Green day and Coldplay. (Red hot chili peppers ? Pearl Jam ?)

Radiohead has never come close to being mainstream.
REM hasn't been a contender since the early to mid-90's.
Green Day only has one notable album in the last 10 years.
Coldplay has a masterpeice but also left us with X & Y.
RHCP are only huge in certain parts of the country.
Pearl Jam will never reach superstar statis.

All have been named as competition/heirs to U2 in the press over the years though. (Simple Minds as well, in the 80's)

For all we know the "next U2" may be playing in some garage now. :shrug:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Apart from U2..........

Screwtape2 said:

It's not all that amazing considering that the band has existed for several years with no mainstream competition. Plus a band can stay together longer when you wait years between every album.

I'm new to this forum but despite this I've noticed your relentless negativity; the criticism is so blatent.

If you dislike U2 so much why are you here? :confused:

Re: Re: Re: Apart from U2..........

ludvic said:

I'm new to this forum but despite this I've noticed your relentless negativity; the criticism is so blatent.

:happy: You've been here a couple weeks at most and in that time you've decided that I'm a troll based on a couple posts. :applaud:

I haven't seen anything this shocking since:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUpGC2vamA

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yeah we've heard so much from those bands lately.:|

Just saw ZZTop last night on VH1 rock honors, Rush's latest album debuted at #3, guess you just need to pay better attention

:| :| :|

toscano said:

Just saw ZZTop last night on VH1 rock honors, Rush's latest album debuted at #3, guess you just need to pay better attention

:| :| :|

Yeah ZZ Top played with a bunch of other CLASSIC rock heros, and Rush hasn't written anything relevant since 1989.

Yeah they are still together with the same line up but they are not at the "top of the tree" like the original creator of the thread stated.

Re: Re: Re: Apart from U2..........

ludvic said:

Welcome to the forum. What you are going to find is that there are certain people here that rarely have anything good to say about the band and/or like to start trouble in threads. Not saying thats the case in this thread but you do make a point. Just try to ignore it for the most part. I do hear what you are saying though. It wears thin sometimes.

This is a hobby, its suppose to be fun. Not constantly negative.

I guess the answer to the question is no then. Rolling Stones certainly dont qualify for line up changes. ZZ top and Rush????????? As bonovox stated, i did stipulate at the top of the tree. Av heard many bands being touted as wordls biggest over the years, and neither ZZ Top Nor Rush have been one of em!

gman said:

He never played ANY part in U2 watsoever as far as I am aware! He joined Feedback wen they was a cover band did he not?

Dik Evans played in U2 when they were Feedback and The Hype. As The Hype, they did play at least one original song, but mainly did covers. There's a bit of uncertainty about when exactly the last gig with Dik happened, but one account says that his final gig (in March 1978) was also The Hype's final gig and consisted of covers; at the end, Bono announced the end of The Hype and that U2 would return later, and they played only original songs. This supposedly happened a few days after Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry went to play in the Harp Lager talent contest in Limerick without Dik as U2, so if this is accurate, then the two bands briefly co-existed.

Back
Top Bottom