Anyone heard the new Creed song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

socalu2fan

Just curious what you thought. Its called "My Sacrifice." Thoughts, questions, concerns...

"I don't brake for Creed"

Just kidding. I haven't heard it, but they're not exactly my favourites
smile.gif

I don't care what others think either. Scott Stapp is HOT! They are a good band. Why so much flaming of them here? They are very much what U2 was 15 years ago. Kind of religious, good looking long haired singer, talented, on the rise to superstardom. Their songs are harder, but still good. The Creed bashing is unfair, especially considering some of you like Linkin Park, now talk about trash! (IMO of course, but I don't know anyone over 13 who finds them listenable.)

I haven't heard it yet. My fiance probably has though. As far as his favorite bands are concerned:

1. Creed
2. U2

I'm gonna have to work on that...
wink.gif

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight..."

I think you nailed it, U2Kitten:

"They are very much what U2 was 15 years ago."

That's the reason that a lot of people here like Creed.

That's also the reason a lot of people DON'T like Creed.

There a sense that other bands resemble U2 almost by accident. Like them or hate them, British bands like Radiohead and Coldplay and American bands like Live and Rage Against the Machine have been doing their own thing, and it's only by chance that they mirror U2 (or, in some cases, just a facet of U2).

With Creed, there seems to be a concerted effort to mimic both Pearl Jam and U2: to copy the former's angst-filled vocals and guitar work and to copy the latter's spirituality.

Of course, there's the response that Scott Stapp was a preacher's son, but there's also the fact that Rolling Stone made clear U2's influence on the band very early in their career -- and the appalling news that Creed thinks their next album will be as big as The Joshua Tree.

And I think the Joshua Tree comment really crystalizes the problems a lot of people have with Creed: NO ONE can intentionally make an album with the wide-reaching and time-tested impact of The Joshua Tree. U2 made the album to be a great album, and that's all; they continued pushing their boundaries and made songs like "With Or Without You" -- which sounds like nothing else in music and doesn't sound like a top 10 single, especially one from 1987. It was only fate or chance that allowed it to have the impact that it did.

U2 didn't willfully make the album to be the hit that it was. They knew they couldn't replicate themselves, so they made albums like Achtung Baby, POP, and All That You Can't Leave Behind -- look at the times they were made, and you find that the albums were very risky. U2 made the albums for themselves, and hoped a few people liked them. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

The same applies with Radiohead and the rest. Their successes have come from them being true to their craft, not by trying to make the next Sgt. Pepper's or the next Joshua Tree.

Creed will probably never make another Joshua Tree because they are TRYING TO DO SO. It's that kind of arrogance that really upsets a lot of U2 fans.

I heard Puff Daddy is producing the album.

He said "It's gon' blow up like Joshua Tree know'sayin. And gon' be off tha hook like my last album...jus keepin' it real, know'sayin. Scott's from that streets 'n much luv to him, he ain't goin' nowhere...he can't be stoped now, 'cuz he's Creed boy 4 life."

I remember Bono saying ATYCLB was going to be U2's "Rubber Soul." Remember the Titanium Soul comment. Bono made the statement in Rolling Stone that he thought U2 was a better band than the Beatles- this was back in the 80s. Arrogant. Hmmmmm. I don't know. Confident. Yes. If people are going to bash Creed for saying they wanted to make an album that was as big as the Joshua Tree or a Joshua Tree, they should take it as compliment directed toward U2. To bash them for just being arrogant is ridiculous when U2 in the past and even now "appear" even more arrogant.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Honestly-Im 22 years old and i have heard a great deal of the beetles music. I have to say, U2s music is sooooo much better then the beetles. I really think u2 is twice the band. The beetles had all those number 1 singles and albums but who the hell else were they up against. The stones, yes but there was no HIP Hop,or alternative, pop. I think there is a lot more to choose from these days. I really think, that if with or with out you were released today it would be a number 1 single. I figure this will piss some people off so i might as well go all out and also say that WAKE UP DEAD MAN-blows!!! one of very few u2 songs i dont like! So, the beetles are good but U2 is better and Wake up dead man sucks! I also think u2 would sell as much as the beetles if they released 30 albums (20 greatest hits albums with the same songs on them)

I just heard on the radio that Creed has cancelled their Fanfair because they didn't want to put their fans (and most likely themselves) in danger. Seems they believe that if a large number of people are gathered in one place (concert) it could be a terrorist target.

I sure hope U2 doesn't think that and cancel the tour! I don't think they will. Also, the Taliban bans music so they probably don't know anything about rock concerts and would not think to target them!(hopefully) What about football stadiums, especially domes?

No, I'm not going to think that. We will all be okay, and if we do happen to be attack victims and die with U2 I'm sure Bono will put in a good word for us all to God.

Wait, a clarification here: Did Creed say that their new album would be as "big" as the Joshua Tree or as "good" as the Joshua Tree? Because I don't doubt that it will sell like hotcakes and if that is all that they said then who cares? Heck, it will probably sell more copies in America over the next year than Joshua Tree sold in the entire world in the last 15 years. (Yes, I know how many copies of JT have been sold.)
Teeny-bopper fans who have quit on Backstreet Boys and NSync will "graduate" to rock-lite bands like Creed. Backwards baseball cap beclad bozos in fraternities all across America will blast Creed at eardrum shattering levels with stomach churning regularity. Millions of kids who deserve better will buy Creed at their local Wal Mart because Creed is the only half decent rock band played on their local radio stations. Millions upon millions of Americans looking for some sort of spiritual solace in pop culture after the horrible attacks on 9/11 will storm out of their local music stores clutching Creeds latest with the greedy intensity of a fat man devouring the last corn dog and Budweiser of the fair and carnival season in Texas. MTV and VH1 will hype this album like no album has ever been hyped and then they'll pat themselves on the back for playing music that "means something in these troubled times." Carson Daly will host an interview on TRL with a smoldering Scott Stapp who will no doubt have something apropos and spiritual to say about the terrorist attacks. Stapp will humbly express his hope that "Our music can comfort and inspire people in this our moment of darkness." A teary eyed Carson will embrace Stapp and thank him for coming on the show.

First week sales: 750,000
Second week sales: 500,000
Third week sales: 500,000
Fourth week sales: 500,000
Fifth week sales: 500,000
Sixth week sales: 500,000

etc, etc, etc...

MAP (the u2 fan formerly known as MP)

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
I remember Bono saying ATYCLB was going to be U2's "Rubber Soul." Remember the Titanium Soul comment. Bono made the statement in Rolling Stone that he thought U2 was a better band than the Beatles- this was back in the 80s. Arrogant. Hmmmmm. I don't know. Confident. Yes. If people are going to bash Creed for saying they wanted to make an album that was as big as the Joshua Tree or a Joshua Tree, they should take it as compliment directed toward U2. To bash them for just being arrogant is ridiculous when U2 in the past and even now "appear" even more arrogant.

Let's compare the comments, shall we?

U2 on Rubber Soul:

U2 Speak about New Album

U2's Bono and The Edge have described their forthcoming album as 'titanium soul.' Through their new website, U2.com, the pair say 'It's not plastic, it's not silk. It's heavier than that. But, it's like a Beatles record in that every song feels like a single. The new stuff has fire and it has spunk. It's ecstatic music.'

Bono adds, 'You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room ... it's about the pure joy of playing in a band with or without an audience.'

(Source: http://www1.******.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=850 )

Creed on The Joshua Tree:

Creed have finished writing songs for their third album, which their manager promises will have the epic scope and impact of U2's classic The Joshua Tree. The band and producer John Kurzweg rented a house in Florida on Sunday and have begun setting up a studio inside, according to manager Jeff Hanson. The band will begin recording there soon, he said.

"People will be very surprised," Hanson said of the new material. "We look at this album as our version of The Joshua Tree. This is the album we feel will set us apart."

(Source: http://creed.sonicnet.com/artists/ai_singlestory.jhtml?id=1444927&ai_id=1243 )

I admit that it could be personal bias on my part, but I feel that U2 was speaking the language of comparisons while Creed spoke the language of imitation: 'our album is like Rubber Soul,' compared to 'we're making the album to be the next Joshua Tree.'

What I said about Radiohead in relation to U2 can also be said about U2 in relation to the Beatles. Bono has often asserted a greatness on the level of the Beatles, but there did not seem to be a concerted effort TO COPY the Beatles. U2 strove to be as great and has become so great because they DID THEIR OWN THING.

I've read a lot about the making of the Joshua Tree (and hope to get the Making Of DVD at some point), and I've always gotten the sense that they were following their hearts -- and the public just happened to follow them. From Behind the Music, I have the sense that Creed is in large part following the paths of its influences -- and following the demographics.

It's one thing for U2 to assert that they're as good as the Beatles, and even for Creed to assert that they're as good as U2. It's another entirely for Creed to try follow in U2's footsteps to greatness.

No two people walk the same path to greatness, and it's arrogant and foolish for Creed to try.

Finally, to add fuel to the fire, here's the apparent cover for "Weathered", the forthcoming album:

sweathered.jpg

Shockingly, the central image is A TREE.

Achtung Bubba

CREED.........
here today...........gone tomorrow.

------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." -Bob Marley "Redemption Song"

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
sweathered.jpg

Oh my...
No, this HAS to be a photoshop job. They can't be that stupid, can they?!?

What a gaff.

Why don't they call it:

"All that you can't Creed behind"

"Plagarise and Hum"

"The unforgettable ego"

or one of any number of great titles!
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-08-2001).]

Creed makes me vomit.

Mona, yelling at Scott Stap: FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!! PUT YOUR SHIRT ON, MAN!!!!!! YOU'RE NOT JIM MORRISON!!! (he thinks he is)

Also,
when I hear creed I run for the hills like Edge being pursued by raunched-up BonoBaby.

Bleh

------------------
~*Mona*~ / ~*Moaner*~ / ~*MonaPhisto*~
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini" ~Charlie Brown~

"Thank you all for letting me rub up against you" ~BonoBaby~

"I feel like trash. I AM trash! Recycle me, baby!" ~MonaPhisto~

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
this bunch of "saint" dumb-boys , makes me laugh , oh common it's too much of this shit on Music radio/tv channels , be stronger , go to the light , inspite of all this, be yourself , don't be a product , i want .. i want sexual heaaling Under the red blue sky .....................
*mime box*

I'M TRAPPED IN A TOMMY HILFIGER COMMERICIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGKKKKKKHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!(tung Baby)

------------------

Sorry guys,
Creed is one band i just can't stomach. Never liked em. Never will. they're music is crap.

*hears beginning of 'with arms wide open'*

*teeth rot*

It's BAD! Just bad! And dangerous. *feels the need to moonwalk.....*

------------------

I saw them in concert opening for Metalica (alright calm down we can do the Metalica bashing on another thread). Compared to the other openers, Kid Rock, and I think Sevendust, they weren't half bad. It's like previously mentioned, it's one of the few rock bands that gets airplays as it is so that's what's gonna get hyped (another difference b/t JT and whatever this Creed bs is, there was no hype for JT it was just heart). And unfortunately that's gonna be a norm.

But anyways my whole thing is that while in the begining I could listen to them as they got overplayed my ears started to hurt. It's just such a flat sound. There's no depth to it. You hear it once and you've heard it all. Unlike U2's music which, even they're first album I would argue, you can play over and over again and not get bored. You'll always hear something new. So even if I ruled out all their egotism I still couldn't listen to the music.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I will admit to kind of liking that Can You Take Me Higher song. That might have something to do with seeing the very cute figure skater Steven Cousins skate to it, in person
biggrin.gif
However, I am REALLY tired of Arms Wide Open. I wouldn't mind if I never heard it again.

Then again, I can think of many bands I hate more. And I would say the same about Bon Jovi and Matchbox Twenty, more bands that U2 fans seem to inexplicably single out for hatred.

------------------
Be a world, child, form a circle
Before we all go under

P.S. Another band to claim they wanna be the next U2's
rolleyes.gif
drumroll please, P.O.D.

mad.gif
ARGH!!!! complete shit!!!!

I really feel like replacing that D to an S (POS = piece of shit)

Now a band with actual potential that has kept their mouth's shut, At the Drive In. They did this video about the thousands of woman that get raped and dumped in Mexican's deserts and completely blew me away. Now my brain is fried from all the studying and I can't remember the song name, but give them a spin.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 10-08-2001).]

Originally posted by mbi16:
At the Drive In. They did this video

They're great, seen them live? Waaaay too much energy. Anyway, I think they are as good as dead. They've taken one of those 'indefinate breaks' as a band, and bands very rarely come back from those.

Nevermind, the song on Kazaa that is supposed to be their new song is apparently a fake. As for myself, the Joshua Tree is great music, if Creed even come close to making a Joshua Tree it just means that there will be one more band producing quality music and that is hard to find these days. I think there might be 4 bands doing it, on a good day!

Back
Top Bottom