Anyone Have U2 song(s) in your Wedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably wont get married, but if i do...I'm getting the band to play!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Never really thought about it, but a friend of mine actually walked down the aisle to ISHFWILF.
Now if that isn't a bad omen...

Yes, they are now divorced.
*sigh*
Doesn't anyone believe in staying married anymore?

Bonofnattic -

I thought I was the only one who knew "live on my mind" by Bruce Cockburn. Truly a great song. In fact his whole Charity of Night album is fantastic.

~b~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

No, it was a while ago mib..
You're thinking of my oldest friend who got married after knowing the boy for 3 months then separating after 2 months of marriage.
*sigh*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 01-20-2002).]

Well, I'm far off from getting married (I still have yet to find the perfect guy who is just as U2 obsessed as I am), but I hope to have "One" play (I'm not 100% sure though. It's not exactly a love song). But definetly AIWIY. And A few others I'm sure...

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Never really thought about it, but a friend of mine actually walked down the aisle to ISHFWILF.
Now if that isn't a bad omen...

LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

I've thought about U2 songs at weddings and I don't think that there is a U2 love song that isn't bittersweet, although AIWIY probably comes closest. Dont get me wrong, Bono can write some great love songs, but I think it's interesting that he can't write a straight forward "happy" love song that would be perfectly suited for a wedding.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Well, I'm far off from getting married (I still have yet to find the perfect guy who is just as U2 obsessed as I am), but I hope to have "One" play (I'm not 100% sure though. It's not exactly a love song). But definetly AIWIY. And A few others I'm sure...

My husband and I had AIWIY to accompany the prelude of our wedding video. We had pictures of each of us growing up and pictures of us together, along with highlights from the ceremony and reception, especially our first dance ("In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel), it all fit beautifully to AIWIY. Also appropriate since we were high school sweethearts (got married after 10 years together) just like Bono and Ali. The song is about marriage and all its ups and downs, but in the end "all I want is you" that's just about it. This June/July will be 10 and 20 years for us (married/together). So U2 has always meant alot to us.

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is the closest thing to a true love song I think U2 has. They have a lot of songs about love, but few that don't have a sweet/sour mix to them (examples: One, AIWIY, and WOWY). TGBHF would be my pick for a U2 wedding song. Fortunately U2 has shied away from slipping into that weeding band category. Thank God.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

[This message has been edited by Achtung Zooropa (edited 01-20-2002).]

Was married Sept 8th, and towards the end, when everyone was nicely plastered, one of my friends (another U2 fan) had the DJ play "Beautiful Day" He gave us the Mike, so it turned into a karaoke of sorts. Good fun. Two guys, who can't sing to save our lives, singing "Beautiful Day" at the top of our lungs. A sad day in the music world.

When you think about it, though, "All I Want Is You" has an aspect of growth to it. At the beginning of the song, it's:

You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want your story to remain untold

In the middle, the "you" Bono is talking about starts talking about being more giving: "Eyes in a moon of blindness," "a river in a time of dryness," etc. And then, in the last line, the "you" has grown into a more mature love for the speaker:

You say you want your love to work out right
To last with me through the night
You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
**Your love not to grow cold**

In other words, the "you," instead of longing for material things and looking successful, is now concerned with his/her relationship with the speaker, and wants their love to last. If you look at it that way, AIWIY is a perfect wedding song. Actually, I'm listening to it right now.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

What about "The First Time," from Zooropa?
That could also work as a wedding-type song.

"For the first time...I feel love."

I've read some interpretations of this song that factor in prodigal-son references, but that makes sense too. The speaker in the song rejects material wealth, for example, but still seems to embrace his family and his lover. This is a lovely song, and, it seems, one of those that people sort of forget about. Being stuck in the middle of Zooropa will do that to a song.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Whoa, Paxetaurora!! I'm liking your analysis of AIWIY!
smile.gif
Damn, I'm gonna have to listen to that song now...

Zoocifer--isn't that song just so romantic? I think that the lyrics express exactly how I want to feel with "Mrs. Right".

uh oh....can't feel my legs...I'm turning into SAP!!
smile.gif

Seriously, though, "Charity of Night" is a fantastic cd. I'm such a fan of Cockburn. Very poetic.

"Our" dance was to U2's version of "Can't Help Falling in Love". It was a little shorter than the wife wanted, but the music was the only thing I got to choose.
smile.gif

Our first dance will definatly be to a U2 song, if I can persuade my boyfriend. He doesn't love U2 like me. Proboablly to AIWIY since it has the most fitting lyrics. I am hoping that the next album will have a straight forward love song, but if they are having trouble writing ballads then it might not happen.

I will also use U2 for my wedding video.

Hello to all of you,

My wife and I used Drowning man from War.
It was the first song to start the dance. We have been married since July 17/ 93 and still going strong!!!
Bye

I actually made a list last year of wedding songs I'd like to play at my wedding, especially after going to a few weddings where they played some really cheesy stuff. It really is hard to get U2 in there. They're masters of the bittersweet love song, and that's not necessarily what you'd like to play at a wedding.

AIWIY was on the list. And I think you could fit Two Hearts Beat as One in there. Also, Stay, because it's just beautiful and I love it.

I also want In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. It's always been one of my favorite songs. And This is Love and Good Fortune - PJ Harvey would be really rocking additions. Can't remember what others I put down off the top of my head.

What I really need now though is some kind man to marry me.
smile.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

There is an interview out there with Bono and he is taking about how people have told him that that they have had "One" played at their wedding, Bono was really puzzled by it b/c he didn't consider it a love song of that nature. Damn, anyone know the interview I'm thinking of?!

Well, drgnwolf1969 and I want AIWIY to be our first song to dance to, since we consider it "our song", and it's the song we got engaged to.

I've got lots of other music ideas as well.
smile.gif

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways:
There is an interview out there with Bono and he is taking about how people have told him that that they have had "One" played at their wedding, Bono was really puzzled by it b/c he didn't consider it a love song of that nature. Damn, anyone know the interview I'm thinking of?!

I've seen the interview you're talking about, but I don't know where to find it. I saw a show on VH1 (I think) last year that talked about misinterpreted songs, and one part was about songs that are used for weddings but shouldn't be. That's when they showed a clip of Bono talking about One. The only other song I specifically remember being mentioned is Sting's "Every Breath You Take"- he said that it's about an obsessive ex-boyfriend and is definitely not appropriate for weddings!

we'll probably have:
Bono + Frank Sinatra - I've got you under my skin
R.E.M. - Be Mine

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

got married last month (dec 15th) and had many U2 songs at the wedding. My wife and I danced together our first dance to All I Want Is You.

------------------
jp
what shall i render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me? i will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

Was married 5.31.92 at the height of Achtung Baby, so One was played at our wedding
(whether Bono is baffled or not) We had an acoustic version done by two of our friends
and it was absolutely fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom